Diamond Shield or 3M?

Go to solution Solved by Bill R,

I believe the shield installed on Monaco coaches has been the Diamond Shield, HOWEVER, the Window Sticker & Data Card probably states that it is the 3M shield.

Dave Pratt knows the history.

I hired Dazzling Detail to remove mine on the Windsor. They repainted and touched up areas that were damaged after removal.

20210319_121229.jpg

20211208_171037.jpg

• Like 2

Monaco never installed the 3M film on the front of any of their production coaches. Although the window sticker said otherwise.

The Diamond Shield film is only 0.4mm thick where as the 3M film is 0.8mm thick and is a far better product.

Dazzling Details uses only the 3M film and they will come to you to replace the film. It takes them two days to complete the process of removing and installing new film.

3 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

I believe the shield installed on Monaco coaches has been the Diamond Shield, HOWEVER, the Window Sticker & Data Card probably states that it is the 3M shield.

Dave Pratt knows the history.

I hired Dazzling Detail to remove mine on the Windsor. They repainted and touched up areas that were damaged after removal.

20210319_121229.jpg

20211208_171037.jpg

Wow!

That business should be using your before/ after, for their advertising!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did mine myself ~11 years ago, didn't look as bad as Richard but bad enough for me to want to remove it.  I tried different solvents and even got a quart of solvent from a body shop.  None worked great. 

People will freak out but what I found worked the best was a puppy training pad soaked with some gas, I'd lay it on the area and then use a plastic scraper to lift the film off.  Did the same thing with the glue.  I also bought a steamer which helped a little.   I actually removed the generator slide door and laid it flat.  Probably took me 3 days to do it, had a few paint chips come off caused by rocks.  I opted not to put anything back and overall the front has held up pretty well. 

I did watch the video that Bill posted.  At the time I didn't have a source for those types of scrapers but I bought and used them when I redid my belt molding and they definitely work.  I liked the sharpening technique they posted for the scrapewrs, looks like these scrapers would help.  Not sure what their Ugly Juice is, tried to find a MSDS sheet on it but couldn't. 

Additional question. My coach has vinyl graphics. Obviously I need to be cautious,  but any recommendations on how to deal with that welcome! Thanks!

Great!! Because that's what I bought! And you steamed & scraped the shield first including off vinyl graphics?

My 2008 Safari Simba had the Diamond Shield and it looked just like your photos.  I had it removed and repainted by a good RV shop near where the unit is stored.  Very good job but on the expensive side.  

Chip

2008 Simba pulling a Wrangler.

I need to expand questions and your answers for the removal of the Diamond Shield.  I have vinyl graphics under the diamond shield and I'm concerned about the Solvent on the graphics. It seems to want to soften the vinyl.

Thanks for your input.20231204_134018.thumb.jpg.a641362bfd6674ceba077bc1041fe42e.jpg

Imput

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to bring this forward, I've learned a lot and wanted to share. I got the shield off, tedious but satisfying. Buh-bye! The long handled scrapers recommended did not work for me. I couldn't get the leverage, nor have the hand strength. The plastic single edge blades worked great. Orange ones for the majority of the areas and went through about 90 blades total. Interestingly, the firmer black plastic blade was the best for over the vinyl graphics. Once I got the hang of angle, pressure, etc. Still, with steam, it was almost impossible not to damage the graphics with gouges and chipped edges. ( I'm dealing with solutions on that now. So if you have input...I'm all ears.) I used the Solv-It contractors solution, and it worked just fine. I can see where cool or warmer weather is a huge influence. It did take at least 3 passes, sometimes 4-5 to get adhesive off with the single edge blades. But, what I found really helped finish off the adhesive was Scrub Daddy! That smiley face scrubber was terrific at taking it off, even on the graphics, cleaning well and doing no damage.

I hired our lawn guy who was needing work to help with the project for 6 days, and he got the higher and low areas that would have been especially difficult for me. What we got done in 6 days would have taken me a month, and it's getting too chilly to deal with that. So Merry Christmas to me!

20231214_104540.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, it's getting there! The vinyl graphics were an issue but I'm working on it. The black razor blades came from Walmart in a 5 pack. I did not see them anywhere else. Oranfe from Amazon. All were super inexpensive,  but the ratings were good and they were perfect for the job. My personal recommendation is use them up. Newer blades with sharp edges are worth it, and and I did use 220 and 320 sandpaper to touch up the up a little in between. I'm still finishing the adhesive removal, but I used about 3/4 gallon. The weather will impact how much solvent. Warmer weather would have helped. It was 50-ish with wind chills in the 40s and lots of wind.

A side note: be sure to cover off your headlights and back up cameras, windshield wipers, etc really well. I used plastic bags and painter's tape. 

20240103_092313.thumb.jpg.754d6d9423c3edd52623e4840c331872.jpg

20240103_092254.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

OK. An update. We had some pretty cold weather so the work stopped for a while. But, it is mostly cleaned, and I still need to do paint touch up, but I loaded up, gave it a good washing and headed to a lakeside site for 3 days. Just me and the dog. First time for the dog, a senior Boxer mix I adopted almost a year ago, and first time for me by myself. We did great. 

Trying to get responses to my requests for paint estimates have been frustrating. Business is so good apparently, they can not respond. So, I will probably get the paint match and do it myself....after a lot of praying.

I'm glad I removed the shield. Waiting would have caused more damage it seems. There were some rock chips even with the shield, and I did some scrapes in the removal, and there were hints of mold I dealt with, but it is so much better. I opted to remove the broad stripe across the cap. Too many dings. 

So here it is. To date.20240218_175551.thumb.jpg.9ce069106198f92002d71fae32d2808f.jpg