Fresh Water Tank Leak

Venturer
Go to solution Solved by Venturer,

I once lost half a tank after overfilling, while on the way. Still don't understand because I overfilled it more than once and that was the only time. Also did not think that the vent tube would go that deep but don't know. And I don't have gravity fill either.

4 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

I once lost half a tank after overfilling, while on the way. Still don't understand because I overfilled it more than once and that was the only time. Also did not think that the vent tube would go that deep but don't know. And I don't have gravity fill either.

Yep, once that siphon starts 😁!

Lots of owners drill a small hole in the high point in the overflow line to break the vacuum. If they overfill the tank they will get a bit of spray out of the hole, but it beats collapsing the tank!

• Like 1

• Solution

The wet bay is dry this morning. All of this frustration because someone pulled the vent tube out of the exit hole and forced it up over another tube at the top of the black tank. I can see no reason for doing that. I couldn't see it till I removed the outer panel that held the Aqua Hot monitor. A technician had to have done it while servicing the AH, however, I see nothing gained by pulling the tube up. Regardless of the reason, I'm a happy camper. Now, it's on to getting the fresh and grey tank level sensors working. 

Edited by Venturer
  • Like 3

That's great news Doug!  

Coincidently, last week I also noticed water in my wet bay after overfilling the fresh water tank.  The leak stopped when I drained the tank to 1/4 full.  This thread gives me some hope it's the gravity fill or overflow hose and not a leaky tank.

• 3 months later...

I have the exact same issue. I over filled my fresh water tank and ever since I have had dripping water. If the rv is level then it drips into the wet bay, if it’s tilted then it drips out one side or the other. Any suggestions? Thanks 

I find it hard to believe the overflow tube could syphon out half of the fresh water without collapsing the tank. I'm going to drill a small hole at the top elbow of the overflow tube to break the possible suction. I would think leaving the gravity fill cap loose would also allow air into the tank and stop the siphon effect. After I replace the fresh tank sending unit, I'll refill and determine if I still have a leak or if the loss was caused by the overflow. 

I replaced the fresh tank sending unit. I entered the empty tank raw data into the Alladin. Then filled the tank and entered the full raw data. It then registered 100%. After a couple hours, it registered 98%, then 2 hours later was at 96% and the next morning it registered 93%. The actual tank level remained full. I'll monitor it today and reset the raw data to read 100% before night. Is this a normal setup for a new sensor or is there an issue with the Alladin system itself? The Black and Grey tanks seem to register correctly. 

Moderator EDIT

This was moved from a different topic and should be here.

End of EDIT.

I was intending to take the pressure tank out when I had the tank empty to replace the sending unit, but it slipped my mind. It's full now. Can I still remove the tank without losing more than what is in the failed pressure tank itself?  

Yes, you can remove the pressure tank after shutting off the pump and releasing the pressure at any faucet.  The water from the unpressurized tank might dribble out, but you can stop it with a cork or finger if there's no valve. 

• Like 1

A failed tank may be full of water that doesn't drain.  Unless the tank is leaking, they fail by losing the air pressure, and/or waterlogging the air side.  Water will come out the schrader valve if you can hold the tank "upside down" and add a little air to force the water back out with the valve core removed or held open.  If there's low air pressure but no water, you can just add air.

Posted (edited)

I tried adding air, however, the diaphragm was damaged.  I was able to remove the tank without any problem outside of the awkward position. I lost less than a 1/2 cup of water, but the pressure tank was full. The line has a brass elbow that I could clamp a 5/8" nylon reenforced tube with a plug in it where a compression fitting for the tank was.  Or, cut the water line off and slide a cap onto it. I'll see what Lowes might have for that tomorrow. 

Edited by Venturer

A simple slide on cap after cutting the brass elbow off was an easy solution. Now there is considerably more room in the pump location. As for the syphoning of the water from the fresh tank, I was going to drill a relief hole in the elbow leading down to the exit hole. However, the elbow is brass and a difficult area to get a drill in. Wouldn't leaving the gravity fill cap loose break the vacuum of the syphoning effect? Then after a few gallons of water were used tighten the cap.     

While hooked up to a water source to check for a leak, I found one. The brass incoming check valve is leaking. I would like to replace it with the same model. It's the original two piece one with garden hose washers. The incoming fitting swivels and the output side reduces down to 1/2" pipe thread. Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement? 

Posted (edited)

I found a valve that I can make work. The surprising thing I found is that the Monaco valve inlet was female garden hose thread, however, the fitting that screwed into it was 3/4" pipe thread that sealed against a garden hose washer. The output side was garden hose male that had a brass adaptor to 1/2" pipe thread. It all looked OEM, but I have to wonder why Monaco would have used a check valve intended for a residential garden hose.    

Edited by Venturer

• 2 weeks later...