Fresh Water Tank Leak

Venturer
Go to solution Solved by Venturer,

It appears that the freshwater tank is leaking on our 06 Executive. The outlet and gauge fittings are not leaking. The overflow tube was pulled up out of its outlet hole and I thought it had discharged water into the bay when I briefly overfilled the tank, however, too much water is leaking out onto the ground. If I'm right, all of the tanks have to come out the passenger side. Is there a tutorial for tank removal available? I doubt that I will attempt it, but I want to know the process..     

Are you certain it's not the freshwater gravity fill hose?  This hose goes through the rear wheel well and is notorious for cracking.   

For those of you that think "I really don't use the gravity water fill hose, so I'm not worried about it". Think again. When this hose breaks, the freshwater tank will only hold less than 1/2 tank. The rest runs out all over the place.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/fresh-water-gravity-fill-hose-1-3-8-id-350222.html

The gravity fill on mine is at the top of the wet bay and I can see the hose when the inner door is opened. Also, the water level in the tank is at about 3" and continues to leak. I have the coach tilted to the right and it continues to slowly drip out at about a quart in 3-4 hours. Guess I'll sleep on it and make a plan tomorrow.  

Edited by Venturer

Looking at the passenger side of the tanks, I see that the black and grey tanks sit on a shelf above the wet tank. It looks like it's possible to get the freshwater tank out without removing the grey and black tanks. That would eliminate the need to cut their discharge plumbing. It would require cutting the lower lip of the door opening to slide it out but that could be repaired? Has anyone had to do this on the 06 tank design with the aqua-hot unit next to the tanks?? Thank you for any help.  

Another common occurrence that is overlooked, is the water pump. Some of them eventually allow water to flow backwards through them into the freshwater tank. When the tank of freshwater gets full, the water comes out the overflow and under the ground. I would not rule this out. 

Yes, it and all fittings are dry. It seems there must be a crack or hole at or near the bottom of the tank. It also appears that if one removes the gravity fill fitting and the fitting to the pump, it should slide out the passenger side if the shelf above holding the black and grey tanks hasn't sagged. That shelf is wood supported by metal straps, so it's unlikely it has sagged.  I think the overflow is part of the gravity fill hose. As mentioned before, I would have to cut the 2" lip at the bottom of the opening along with the 1 1/2 lip on the side up to the top of the tank. I would hope someone on the forum direct knowledge of the removal process can confirm my thoughts/plan.  

New Hope. Question. What is the blue pex tube coming down the corner of the upper black and grey tanks that exits through a hole in the floor next to the fresh tank to the ground? It was up out of the hole and allowed to run water onto the floor next to the aqua hot unit and underneath it. I first thought it was the overflow for the freshwater tank, however, it is above the black and grey tanks about the same height as the fill point on the driver side.  It could not have run much water. When it gets above the black tank, it becomes braided poly hose running across the top toward the driver side. I'll have to take another panel off to see where it might go, but it seems unlikely it would come across and go back down to the fresh tank for an overflow. Any thoughts??

1 hour ago, Ivan K said:

Our fridge has a moisture drain connected to one of the AC drains. It can produce quite a bit in humid places. Just a thought... if you are running a fridge with similar arrangement. Not that it would help with the tank leak.

My fridge is in a slide. They used the cheapest plastic drain tubing they could find!

With the slide out, it will drip under the slide, slide in, it will run down the basement door to the ground.

36 minutes ago, 96 EVO said:

My fridge is in a slide. They used the cheapest plastic drain tubing they could find!

With the slide out, it will drip under the slide, slide in, it will run down the basement door to the ground.

Interesting, I never knew it would be running over the basement door from a slideout.

4 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Interesting, I never knew it would be running over the basement door from a slideout.

Yeah, the drain tubes come thru the slide floor right up against the outer wall.

Otherwise they would be dripping into the basement when the slide was closed.

• Confused 1

The water dripping stopped and there was still water in the tank. Confusing! I wiped everything dry and added about 30 gallons to the tank through the gravity fill with the coach tilting to the right. After three hours, still no water coming out. It had been dripping for three days, but now has stopped. If it's still dry in the morning, I have to assume the tank is ok. Then the search for a line or fitting leak that would empty into the tank area. Isn't RVing fun?   🙂  

Ok, I'm still going with your overfill started a siphon 🙂!

It's amazing once that siphon starts, the amount it can drain from a tank. Can almost collapse a plastic tank, since the overflow is also the air vent.

No air can get in while that line is full of water!

You might have something as I did overfill the tank. However, there was some water in the wet bay before I filled it. Depending on where the vent tube is located, it could have siphoned some water till below the exit point. Air could get in through the gravity fill opening. Admittedly, your theory makes sense. Guess I'll know tomorrow.     

It shouldn't matter if it is sealed. Once the water level is below the vent, it can't drain anymore unless water gets up to the outlet which could happen while traveling. For a while my cap was off as the previous owner had the drain of the OR system discharging into it. I have since removed it and closed the cap.

Edited by Venturer