Replacing existing Residential fridge

birdshill123

Our 08 Dynasty came from the factory with a Jenair side by side fridge. This was a high end fridge with a solid Cherry wood  front. It worked great! Then 2 years ago  I started to have problems. 2 different techs worked on it. It was not leaking but some oil must have plugged one of the lines. After repairs it worked great but only for a month or 2. We replaced the evaporator and still it will only cool for a few months. I don't want to waste any more money. I know that today's appliances are mostly junk. More than one tech has told me that 7 years is the average life of a new fridge. Spending more $$ jusat means it has more bells and whistles. Same cooling system as a cheaper unit. Most of the appliance companies have been sold to the bigger mfrs./ GE is owned by a Chinese company. Whirlpool owns kitchen aid, Jennair and a few others. None have excellent reputations. Our fridge is a side by side 36 inch counter depth. Just under 70 inches high. Side by sides a are not as popular as the French door units. I will not buy a Samsung or LG. Bosch fridges are not like their dishwashers. I could take a chance on a Whirlpool. But I found a discontinued Jenn air. It is 2 inches higher than mine but there is a drawer under the fridge that could be cut down. My dilemma is finding some on locally to remove the old fridge, modify the drawer and install a new one. I do not want to remove the windshield. At first I thought I could remove the driver side window and seat. Then I noticed that above the sofa is the emergency exit window. I hope someone can help me with the following questions.

Looks like I would have to remove the window valence and the blind. If I undo the blind string from the wooden tension  adjusters will it become unstrumg?

I have not opened the emergency exit window but it looks like it could be removed by sliding the window out of the way. BUT the window awning arms are in the way. Can I just undo one of the arms or would I have to remove the whole awning. Will it lose tension? Any hints and tips appreciated. I live in a Province that is an RV wasteland. Lots of dealers for those cheap pull trailers and 5th wheels. They won't work on a DP. I cannot take it to ND or MN. as the borders are closed

Has anyone had success with a Whirlpool lately?

Thanks

I replaced mine a couple of years ago with a Samsung french door frig and it is working fine. I removed the entry door to coach and removed  passenger seat. Then took doors off new frig. Old Norcold when out ok and new one went in OK. I had plenty of help lifting units. My coach is a 2001 Dynasty

Edited by gjh2916

Those service techs are way off base in regards to a new fridge only lasting 7 years. My Samsung RF197 has been working in the coach for the past 8 years now without any major problems.

Check out the counter depth Fisher-Paykel fridges. You most likely won't have to modify the opening at all.

Edited by Dr4Film

Mine went in thru the emergency window in the living room. Without the doors it was tight but doable. I think I had 1/4" or so......Like Richard said, your RV tech was smokin some good stuff that day. My Samsung purrs away and it's been in use since 2012. The only reasons I've ever replaced a fridge, other than that POS Norcold was because of the color or because it was too small....Dennis