Right turn signal issues (CCM Kongsberg)

Go to solution Solved by Tom Cherry,

After about 30 minutes of driving, the right turn signal comes on, camera comes on to video screen, and stays on, without using the lever on steering column at all.   I can change the video screen to another screen and video will go off but outside light and dash indicator stays on, no flashing, often staying like that until end of day shutdown.   Now when parked, ignition off, the right mirror turn signal outside and right dash indicator inside come on, usually after sun warms front of coach, both lights go off when coach cools down at nightfall, then repeats the next day.   What is my best troubleshooting path?   Yes I have a Kongsberg coach, and have done the 5V power supply upgrade, which fixed all issues with wipers and cruise control.

7 hours ago, Dalesincal said:

After about 30 minutes of driving, the right turn signal comes on, camera comes on to video screen, and stays on, without using the lever on steering column at all.   I can change the video screen to another screen and video will go off but outside light and dash indicator stays on, no flashing, often staying like that until end of day shutdown.   Now when parked, ignition off, the right mirror turn signal outside and right dash indicator inside come on, usually after sun warms front of coach, both lights go off when coach cools down at nightfall, then repeats the next day.   What is my best troubleshooting path?   Yes I have a Kongsberg coach, and have done the 5V power supply upgrade, which fixed all issues with wipers and cruise control.

See page 120 in the link to the wiring diagram.  The issue is with either the input to the front and rear CCM modules from the turn signal steering wheel mechanism or the output from the CCMs.  Do both front and rear right signal lights stay on?  Have you changed signal bulbs to LEDs?  Try unplugging the turn signal input to the CCM in an effort to isolate the problem.

Also, first do a full system reboot by disconnect all batteries to reboot both the front and rear CCMs.

• Thanks 1

• Scotty Hutto changed the title to Right turn signal issues (CCM Kongsberg)

ALSO check for corrosion in the harnesses from the connector to the headlight assembly - I redid mine and solved a bunch of issues.

Agree, check all connectors closely.  I had both headlight wiring harness plugs become very rusted and corroded.  Replacing both solved several issues. 

• Solution

Common sense and a tiny dab of an anti corrosion compound applied to each male and female connector will enhance or improve conductivity and prevent future occurrence.  I had to salvage, in 2008, a 50 year old Square D 200A panel in a house that had been vacant for a few months and a leak occurred and the panel was wet on the inside. It never “tripped” but several breakers, on one side were wet.  I talked to a couple of electrical contractors and some experienced electricians.

They all said the same thing.  TRY THIS FIRST. Obviously the leak had been corrected and all was dry.  The panel was in a basement or full height crawl space.

Noalox was the name of the compound. Lowes used to sell it, but switched to Gardner Bender. It is a toothpaste or thick hand cream consistency compound. It is an anti oxidant that is designed to prevent corrosion or bi-metalism reaction between Cu and Al…used extensively for making connections between Cu & Al joints in manufactured housing where there is an abundance of Al wire and such. It also has a 40% (memory) or so “Aluminum” fines blended in. That improves the conductivity. Noalox says it can and is recommended for Cu joints as well. Amazon has another product with a high percentage of Cu fines blended in with an anti-corrosion “compound”.

THE SAGE WARNING….use SPARINGLY.  Just a tiny dab on the spring clips of a breaker and the mating Cu buss on the panel. Snap into place.  Pop out, maybe reapply half of what you used the first time and then seat and unseat the connection a few times.

NOW…this has worked on my umbilical TOAD cord as well. I purchased 0.17 or 17 Caliber bore cleaning brass brush.  Used a toothpick and barely coated the tip of the male connector and cleaned the female with the brush and put a dab inside.  Worked miracles. Mated and unmated them. I have, maybe every 5 years, put a small dab on each of the male and female connectors on the 50 - 30 A dogbone that is outside all the time when my rig is in storage.

That’s my “Hint from Heloise” on removing corrosion and salvaging connectors… BTW, the breaker panel in the rental house, after 15 years, is fine and we never had any issues….

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the ideas.  I have finally been able to do some more trouble shooting.  I have done the computer reset, unfortunately no change afterward.   I have gone thorough many possibilities after looking at the wiring diagram.  Still a steady right turn signal light on the dash panel and a dim steady light in ther mirror, happens on a warm day on the front end of the coach (sitting or after some warmth on the front of coach driving)  and both go out as the day cools down.  I noticed the front right turn signal light in the headlight module does not work ever, not with a right turn signal, not as a parking light, not as an emergency flasher, but the light inside the mirror will flash with right turn signal on or emergency flasher,  all the other lights in rear work as expected in those conditions.  I checked the right turn signal lightbulb, wiring and the socket for the turn signal and swapped left to right just to confirm. Even with exchange of lights and socket right to left, still no power at the right turn light socket. . It seems the right headlight turn signal wire is never receiving power.  When I look at the diagram  (Page 120) it seems like there is an issue at connection S10.    Can someone guide me to where S10 is or what that notation actually means or looks like?   If I found it, maybe that connection is bad or needs to be wired around? 

Also a second nuance.  In parking light on mode, no right front parking light but the left front parking light and right and left rear all work correctly,  but the turn light in the right mirror goes on steady and bright. (left mirror light is not lit, which seems correct, and should also be the case for the right mirror light).  With out the parking lights on, that same right mirror light is on steady but dimly -at the same time with the right turn signal light in the dash stuck on. 

My gremlins live on .....   Thanks for any help. 

.image.png.aea7aa5ea6da96fb2db94649867ca262.png

The S connections are internal to the wiring harness.  You'll need to follow the wire to find it.

From what you are describing, it sounds like a poor ground on the parking/signal light assembly.

For what it is worth, I redid the wiring harness from the connector to all the front end lights (headlights, etc) and found the original was badly corroded.  Simple fix in the grand scheme of things.

• 3 weeks later...

So as usual Frank proves that he knows motorhomes.   After looking at all the connections, checking all the bulbs, rebooting the computer,  I finally checked out the advice "sounds like a poor ground".   After a few meter readings I found that the center pin of the front directional light bulb assembly was not getting a good ground connection.  So after a small splice and running a new wire to a good ground my problem disappeared!   How exciting!   No dash light illuminating at odd times, no effect of afternoon heat on the front cap of the coach and the turn signal lights and right hand video now all work correctly and no variable operation after 3 days of driving.    I think this gremlin is GONE!!!   Thanks a million Frank,  you are the best. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dalesincal said:

So as usual Frank proves that he knows motorhomes.   After looking at all the connections, checking all the bulbs, rebooting the computer,  I finally checked out the advice "sounds like a poor ground".   After a few meter readings I found that the center pin of the front directional light bulb assembly was not getting a good ground connection.  So after a small splice and running a new wire to a good ground my problem disappeared!   How exciting!   No dash light illuminating at odd times, no effect of afternoon heat on the front cap of the coach and the turn signal lights and right hand video now all work correctly and no variable operation after 3 days of driving.    I think this gremlin is GONE!!!   Thanks a million Frank,  you are the best. 

Thank you for posting the solution.  This information will help others.  Glad I was able to help.