Door mechanism

Go to solution Solved by Doug and Nicki,

Ron P.   2004 Monaco Executive 

I have a problem opening my entry door from the outside.   No problem from the inside. 

I'm checking to see if there is any information that would allow me to cut an opening to access the adjusting screws.   How far up or down from the holding latch?

Has anyone done this?

• Solution

It is likely that the rods that go to the upper and lower latches have some slack in them. I had this problem and it seems it is something that happens as things get older. To resolve this requires the inner door panel to be removed. The inner window frame must be removed (do not worry, the window will not fall out) and all the various items on the inner door, including the strap, and the panel with six screws, etc. You must also remove the screws from the outer edge of the door so the outer frame piece can be rotated outward. This will allow you to remove the entire plastic door panel. Once you get to that point, look for the rods that run from the lock mechanism to the upper and lower latches. You will see jamb nuts on those two rods and there will be slack in them. Tighten the nuts to remove the slack, but no not over tighten. You just want to remove the slack. When you put it all back together, your problem will be solved. I used some blue painter's tape to hold the deadbolt lock cylinder n place on the outside of the door. Otherwise, it will fall out as you remove the various items on the inside of the door.

The entire process takes about an hour.

Edited by Doug and Nicki
  • Like 1

Nice find with the video. Shows the elements well.

The first time I adjusted mine I took the whole inner panel off, which is quite the job but does allow you to look at the whole mechanism.

The second time I just took off the corner piece so I could pull out the inner panel to access the extension nut that is used for the adjustment.  Just had to tweak it a little.  I can now open the door with one finger.

Attached is the parts list from my door latch, the item #14 is the nut that I had to adjust.  There was too much play in the two rods so I just tightened it up a little. 

1 Entrance Door Latch Parts.pdf

On my 2003 Dynasty I drilled a 1-1/2” hole and adjusted the nut on the lower rod. Then I picked up a 1-1/2 faucet hole cover at Home Depot. Works great. I know some people have to adjust the upper rod also. I probably could have moved the hole over an 1/16” to the left to get the cover past the edge.IMG_0384.thumb.jpeg.0ffd6e03bcbeb5b99d92537420c9c7e0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2