1999 Monaco diplomat, battery charging up

Terryjean

hey everyone

just wondering if anyone has a diagram on how to set up charging of 4-6 V batteries and run the overhead lights and coach batteries .  Our batteries seem to be draining. We do not know why we’re not sure if we’re charging them properly we cannot find any kind of diagram and our mechanic out of state said there was a certain sequence for the battery charger charger

thanks 

tj

Are you plugged into shoreline?

Do you know how to use a voltmeter?

You likely have four batteries for the (house), and two for the engine/chassis.

Post a picture of your battery compartment for a much better response. 

Without batteries and plugged in you should have house lights if you turn on the house/salesman switch somewhere near the entry. This will activate/connect your battery bank. 

There isn't a sequence.  The four 6V house batteries are wired in two groups of 12V.  In essence, it's just like two 12v batteries.   We use GC2 6V golf cart batteries because they are heavy duty and will withstand constant charge/discharge.  

They are all charged simultaneously by your inverter/charger when you are plugged into a 50 amp RV outlet or also when your generator is running.  Make sure your inverter/charger is set properly. 

2006 and newer Monaco coaches use the Magnum energy inverter/charger while 2005 and older use the Trace Freedom inverter/charger.

You also have two group 31 chassis batteries that are used to start your diesel engine.  I'm not sure the  Diplomat has a system (Intellitec Big Boy, or BIRD) to charge these.  If not already done, you'll need to add a charging system for these.   

Hope this helps.  

Some lights are on some aren’t. The batteries are new we r on 30 amp should be 50. The batteries just don’t seem to be charging according to inside panel. Could this be inverter problem? 

The batteries are still not accepting a charge. We are on 30 amp we’ve been here before without problems. We’ve got the batteries on a trickle charge but they keep running back down. Does anyone know of a good mechanic around Inglewood Florida Port Charlotte? We are heading there next week, thanks guys  does anyone know if this Is the remote control panel for the freedom inverter?

tj

IMG_3912.jpeg

It's important that you understand that a 30 amp connection is only 30 amps, while a 50 amp connection is two legs at 50 amps each for a total of 100 amps.  

First, you need to reduce your electrical power requirement. 

Are you trying to run an electric heater or coffee pot?  If so, unplug them immediately.  Do not run any electric appliance that produces heat.  

Set your refrigerator to run on propane.

Turn off all unnecessary lights and electrical items.  

If you can, switch to a proper 50 amp electrical RV outlet.  This will give your batteries a chance to recover. 

Edited by vito.a

Piggy backing on the above.  There is a “setup” button.  Not as familiar with yours, as the Magnum.

BUT, most Inverters have charging rates.  Remember the 30 Amp limitation.  The charger will take at least 10 - 12 amps just to start charging in the BULK (pour in the current) phase.

IF your normal MH Load is pulling 20 or so amps….or more, then the charger can’t or WON’T charge.  If it did, it would rob power and your normal load would suffer….maybe reducing the voltage and damaging.

The preferred or RULE OF THUMB.  Start the Genny.  You have 35 or so amps on line 1 and line 2….for say 70 amps total.

THEN, recharge or start to recharge.  Let the genny pull the entire load.  You may see 100 DC Amps…When the charging amps drops down below say 30 amps (this is DC AMPS….not AC), then you can switch back to 30 amp Pedestal and the charger will probably finish the job.

Many folks overload the Genny with dead batteries, 2 AC and a microwave.  Usually the Genny breaker (on the genny) pops…

YES….power inside the MH if funky.

BTW….you DO KNOW that all your incoming AC Power (microwave, receptacles, TV, etc) actually come THROUGH the inverter.  There is a built in Automatic Transfer Switch.  Your interior outlets are NOT on the Main Panel.

Read the manual….watch YouTube videos….

On 1/31/2024 at 3:10 PM, Terryjean said:

hey everyone

just wondering if anyone has a diagram on how to set up charging of 4-6 V batteries and run the overhead lights and coach batteries .  Our batteries seem to be draining. We do not know why we’re not sure if we’re charging them properly we cannot find any kind of diagram and our mechanic out of state said there was a certain sequence for the battery charger charger

thanks 

tj

tj, 

I don’t have a diagram but I do have a 99 diplomat. My inverter gave me problems until I replaced it last September. Giving it a good smack made it work sometimes. My remote never worked right, issues with the communication cable. My advice, start pricing inverters. I waited to long and killed my house batteries too. 
My inverter charged the batteries on 30 and 50 amps. Your generator will also charge them if the inverter is working. 
As far as an external charger, a trickle charger will not keep up with your power consumption. Invest in a smart charger and you’ll be able to keep your batteries up until you can replace the inverter. 
Connecting the charger is fairly simple.  If they’re setup correctly, the two batteries on the left will be connected neg to pos. The same on the right two batteries. On my setup, the left rear post is POS, and the front right post is NEG. That’s where you connect your 12vdc charger. Hope this helps.