Ocotillo Wells to Blythe, CA. Have you driven Hwy 78?

Has anyone driven Hwy 78 from Blythe to Ocotillo wells?  Meeting the kids there.  If you have driven it how is the road?  I'd had to go all the way to the 86 and then south.  Looks like the 78 is much quicker for me.  

• Tom Cherry changed the title to Ocotillo Wells to Blythe, CA. Have you driven Hwy 78?

I have driven that route many times.  The grade down from Julian is pretty tough.  I would suggest this alternate route which is much better IMO and avoids the climb up to Julian and down from Julian.

When you get to Santa Isabelle go left on 79 I think it is and go several miles to S-2.  Go right on S-2 and that connects with 78 after the grade from Julian.  Go left on 78 to Ocotillo Wells.

This is a much better route.

• Like 1

Whichever route you take...make sure that you verify that the road is approved for 45 MH...

https://dot.ca.gov/-/media/dot-media/programs/traffic-operations/documents/trucks/busmap-d11-a11y.pdf

19 minutes ago, allphase8 said:

I have driven that route many times.  The grade down from Julian is pretty tough.  I would suggest this alternate route which is much better IMO and avoids the climb up to Julian and down from Julian.

When you get to Santa Isabelle go left on 79 I think it is and go several miles to S-2.  Go right on S-2 and that connects with 78 after the grade from Julian.  Go left on 78 to Ocotillo Wells.

This is a much better route.

Isn't Julian west of Ocotillo?   i'm coming from AZ, which shows the 87 south form Blythe goes through Bawley I think,  

22 minutes ago, Gweedo said:

Isn't Julian west of Ocotillo?   i'm coming from AZ, which shows the 87 south form Blythe goes through Bawley I think,  

Your correct.  Julian is WEST of Ocotillo.  That won't effect you.  78 (not the 87) goes right through Glamis.  Many 45' coaches with stacker trailers, large 5'ver toy boxes,  and everything else you can imagine, have Glamis as their destination.  It's a sand dune mecca for off roaders and some say the largest sand dunes for recreational use in the country.  (not sure about that claim, however)    It's been a couple years since I was last there, but the 78 is  a narrow, 2 lane road, but doable.   All reasonably flat.  

Edited by windsorbill06

3 hours ago, windsorbill06 said:

Your correct.  Julian is WEST of Ocotillo.  That won't effect you.  78 (not the 87) goes right through Glamis.  Many 45' coaches with stacker trailers, large 5'ver toy boxes,  and everything else you can imagine, have Glamis as their destination.  It's a sand dune mecca for off roaders and some say the largest sand dunes for recreational use in the country.  (not sure about that claim, however)    It's been a couple years since I was last there, but the 78 is  a narrow, 2 lane road, but doable.   All reasonably flat.  

Thank you I’ll just take it easy n let the knuckleheads pass me.  

On 2/14/2024 at 6:29 AM, windsorbill06 said:

I drive 78 about 6x in dune season. You won’t have any problems. Was there just last week.

BTW the Imperial Sand dunes, a.k.a. Glamis, is indeed, the largest Sand recreation area in the US.