Strange behavior… Engine will not shut off?!?

2 minutes ago, Bigdogracing said:

Yes I think that is correct.  I have slept since then LOL

Well, if it still dinged with those disconnected, then it’s probably not that relay.  Still won’t hurt to try it, though.

1 minute ago, dandick66 said:

Well, if it still dinged with those disconnected, then it’s probably not that relay.  Still won’t hurt to try it, though.

Yes I am going to try test that again later today.  Thank you!

So interesting things happening. We are using the RV today and found a. Few more things happening.  The slides wouldn’t work, like no power even though it had power.  Waited a few minutes and then suddenly started working.  Same with the step cover- wouldn’t go back in but then we just waited and kept pushing the button and then suddenly started working again. So def something electrical.  Also, now turning off the chassis battery isn’t killing the engine.  My appt is not until April 1 -  so just wanted to to post this in case something else comes to mind from your experts.  I am thinking it might be the BIRD or the Big Boy- wondering if I go buy new ones and replace and try that at all? Thanks

Slides won't operate with the engine on, and steps automatically retract if the engine is on and door closed.  Find the engine cutoff gremlin and these other issues should fix themselves. 

- bob

8 hours ago, Bigdogracing said:

So interesting things happening. We are using the RV today and found a. Few more things happening.  The slides wouldn’t work, like no power even though it had power.  Waited a few minutes and then suddenly started working.  Same with the step cover- wouldn’t go back in but then we just waited and kept pushing the button and then suddenly started working again. So def something electrical.  Also, now turning off the chassis battery isn’t killing the engine.  My appt is not until April 1 -  so just wanted to to post this in case something else comes to mind from your experts.  I am thinking it might be the BIRD or the Big Boy- wondering if I go buy new ones and replace and try that at all? Thanks

So how are you getting the engine to shut off?  Are you connected to shore power?  If so, try unplugging and see what happens.  

1 hour ago, dandick66 said:

So how are you getting the engine to shut off?  Are you connected to shore power?  If so, try unplugging and see what happens.  

Sometimes it will shut off when battery turned off. Sometimes we have to pull the third relay on the top row to shut it off. Just depends. No shore power. We are dry camping. 

On 3/11/2024 at 8:34 AM, Ivylog said:

My engine not shutting off was caused by the BIRD back feeding power to the rear start board.

So did you have to purchase a new BIRD or what part fixed it?

Another update- we used the RV as I stated, once we arrived we had to pull the second relay to make the dash stop beeping but everything else seemed to function as usual. Except I used the central vac and it would not shut off until I flipped the breaker for it.  Oh, and the step cover got stuck closed- stopped at has station and the switch just wouldn't work.  Kept playing with it and about 20 minutes later it started functioning on its own.

Then, we got home, pulled into drive and viola- the key shut the engine off!  So, it has to be a short of something small. We still have our Apil 1 service appt but was hoping to resolve on our own prior to that because they cannot guarantee how long it will take to fix and we have plans every weekend and need it!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with suggestions- they were all very helpful and I learned a lot through this process and will post back with final findings.

21 hours ago, Bigdogracing said:

So did you have to purchase a new BIRD or what part fixed it? 

The diodes on the board were blown so replaced them… probably 10 years ago.