Question about 2000 Diplomat 36B Side Panels

I recently inherited a 2000 Monaco Diplomat and have been in the process of updating it. Question is, i want to install a larger porch light that is 12"s long, made of cast aluminum and has only 2 mounting holes, would the laminate siding be able to hold this securly with just 2 screws into the laminate, or do i need to figure a way to put a backing inside the side to strengthen the mount? The light came with nut, bolt and lock washers, but i am unsure how i am to reach the nuts to hold them while tightening the bolts.

Thank you

Dan Reeves

Yes,, there are many available that look to be the same size. I wanted a larger light and LED for more lumens. Had i paid attention when i ordered it, i would have noticed it only had 2 holes and the nut/bolt mounting, but, here we are. 🙂

Sidewall is hung gel coat, 1/8” think or so. There is no foam behind it, it’s open to the interior board with fiberglass insulation. It’s hung (glued) to the steel studs in the wall. 

I would think some anchors pushed in would be fine. They rivet the top to the fiberglass in the moulding. 

IMG_7171.jpeg

Edited by JDCrow
Added pic

23 minutes ago, dereeves said:

Thanks, that seems like it would work.

The 3M CLEAR VHB double stick tape will hold up a gorilla.  It is also thinner than its equivalent, the black Automotive “emblem” tape sold at the auto stores.  It also has a “higher” rating than the Auto tape.  

There are also high strength (45#/anchor) plastic mounts that the big box building supply folks sell.  You can also purchase Type A SS screws for them.

Either one will hold a light fixture….as will a SS 3/16” POP RIVET.  you just select the correct range.  The plywood will hold those and it will take a gorilla with a pry bar to remove.

Choose any one.  Just remember to use something like a Clear Proflex sealer (not a residential silicone) and do a 360 caulk or bead to keep water out.

Have at it….

This is funny...just as i was wondering where my Dap Window and Doors caulk was at i read the bottom of you reply about not using a residential sealer. I ordered the clear Proflex so much appreciated your advice as residential sealer is exactly what i was going to use!

I will second what @Tom Cherry stated about the 3M VHB (Very High Bond) tape.  Schindler even uses that stuff to secure the interior panelling and trim pieces of their elevators to the structural shell of the cab.  
It is a very versatile product widely used in many industries and will bond to a multitude of materials. 

• Like 1