98 Signature Accelerator pedal goes into IDLE mode when driving.

Does anyone have idea what could be causing this?   It is not consistent but has done it on several trips in the last three months.   If we keep pumping it, it finally goes back to normal.   We have thought that this could be the gas pedal sensor, but are not sure.   We do not have any place in our area to take it.  

• Tom Cherry changed the title to 98 Signature Accelerator pedal goes into IDLE mode when driving.

You have an older “drive by wire” system.  Use the SEARCH button at the top.  Put in accelerator.  Then click on Everywhere and choose TOPICS.

That gives you every post with that word. You do NOT have the Kongsberg or it is also called Telfex sensor.  I can’t recall the name of the system you have.

BUT…I DO (to the best of recollection), remember MANY posts on it.  Best I can recall, the company was a one owner.  However, there are many posts about converting to another system.  Many have and they included parts and source.

There are also posts on how to test.  I BELIEVE the first DO THIS was to get a can of ELECTRONIC Cleaner….NOT ELECTRICAL…Electronics is what you need.  Then spray the potentiometer or the “sensor” can and operate it several times to clean.  Next was plug and unplug the first harness from the sensor.

NOW…Next was to have the switch on….maybe running…go to the engine and find the actuator for the throttle body (in old term…the carburetor BUFFERFLY valve).  Have someone press the accelerator and find the actuator or motor…Make sure it is free.  Now trace the harness and find the first plug. Pull apart and plug/unplug a few times to reseat and make a good connection….

That’s the drill.  Once you find the name or manufacturer or your system, *google it”.  Lots of hit, especially on IRV2…

I had this happen on my 95 dynasty.   Check the fuel shut off solenoid.   They have a history of coming loose from the engine.  On mine it was on the passenger side under the engine access/bed.

Common problem with the older ones is the King Control. That controls your throttle, cruise and high idle. A member here came up with a kit to convert to air because King Controls in no longer in business. I don't remember his name off hand but I can find it for you if he doesn't chime in on this post. Mine hasn't failed yet but I keep a 50' paracord in the m/h in case it does and have bought the kit to convert to air. Some have fixed minor issues with them but for the most part I don't think there is much you can do.

1 hour ago, Mooner said:

Does anyone have idea what could be causing this?   It is not consistent but has done it on several trips in the last three months.   If we keep pumping it, it finally goes back to normal.   We have thought that this could be the gas pedal sensor, but are not sure.   We do not have any place in our area to take it.  

This is a diesel RV, not a gas.   So the suggestion we have been given with the exception of Jim W will not work on this Unit.

I had a similar issue 3 times, 1 on I-95 and 2 on I-75, running great when the check engine light came on and the coach went into slow mode 45 MPH, each time it cleared out and went back to normal cruise.  The issue was diagnosed by P&S Road Service in Ocala, FL, turned out to be a faulty oil pressure sending unit, installed a new one and everything is great ever since.

1 minute ago, Mooner said:

This is a diesel RV, not a gas.   So the suggestion we have been given with the exception of Jim W will not work on this Unit.

I think we all know it's a diesel and the suggestions given are all for diesel engines. I'm pretty sure you have the same throttle system on yours as mine.

35 minutes ago, Mooner said:

Was typing this as was just posted.  The information about the resources here was FOR THE INFAMOUS “Throttle Position Sensor”.  That is what the accelerator pedal’s “control” is erroneously called.  In automotive lingo, the TPS is (was) a device attached the the throttle shaft of a throttle body or on a carburetor and it sent a “here I am” signal to the ECM.  LATER, when a synchronous motor apparatus was used, the motor sent the same signal.

In this case, the post is referring to the control unit aactivated by movement of an accelerator pedal….DRIVE BY WIRE…originally developed for Corvettes…

I did the search….

My 2000 Dynasty 36 with ISC-350 had the throttle position sensor go bad.  It was a Hall-effect device, NOT a potentiometer-type.  It had a six-pin connector, rectangular with rounded ends.  The only markings on it were "131040" and "0609".  I replaced it with a Williams Controls "Kit, Sensor P/N 131973".  It was a part readily available at a local heavy-truck parts distributor.  It was less than $80.  That was about four years ago.

The above was posted by one our “gearhead” experts….Van Williams.

Suggest that the OP reach out to Van, via PM. @vanwill52  Van is a great resource….

I will do another search.  There was a complete writeup on how to upgrade (for a DP)…

One MORE EDIT.

https://oldsperformanceproducts.com/monaco-king-controls-conversion/

Most likely a KING THROTTLE CONTROLLER system.

CURIOSITY IS A CURSE

If you google KING THROTTLE MONACO, Probably many hits on IRV2 or others.

Hope this helps  FOUND a link that is posted above…probably a KING….Pictures will help identify…

FIRST….IDENTIFY who or what system then keep digging…

Crragar is right. I sent my throttle and cruise control to be rebuilt at a cost of $450. about 9 years ago. This is common on the drive by wire King systems. The man is no longer in business. A diesel truck shop might be able to install a throttle air actuator.  Carry wire or Para cord to get you off the road if it fails. Good luck.