Allison 3000 acts up

Go to solution Solved by jacwjames,

Anybody experience this and know how to fix it?

Driving to Flagstaff this Tuesday in the rain, suddenly check trans and engine lights activate and trans won’t shift from 2nd gear. Luckily we were close to our RV park. I pulled in and shut down. 

Did diagnostic scan. See attached. I concluded water shorted communication with the TCM and

ECM. The trans harness or sump temperature sensor was shorted by exposure to water off the roadway. I called Allison Flagstaff and tech confirmed my conclusion.  
Would you recommend I get under coach and try to seal the harness and temp sensor to prevent water intrusion?  

PS. A couple hours after shut down and parked, all problems disappeared  We drove 400 miles yesterday without incident in dry conditions.

IMG_4191.thumb.jpeg.b78e27c5cb337c2292f4666ffa85c542.jpegIMG_4190.thumb.jpeg.d5cbb7e52674d84fd6f556233dbc4b5f.jpegached 

I'd check the plug, take it apart and inspect for moisture or signs of corrosion.  Use some electric cleaner on both sides and maybe a little dielectric grease the put it back together making sure it's tight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jacwjames said:

I'd check the plug, take it apart and inspect for moisture or signs of corrosion.  Use some electric cleaner on both sides and maybe a little dielectric grease the put it back together making sure it's tight.

Hi James, that makes sense to me. Thanks. Do you know where I’ll find the plug?

31 minutes ago, timaz996 said:

It's still a little cool up in Flagstaff isn't it? I'm still Quartzsite until Thursday then up to Chino Valley where it will still be cool.

Certainly cooler than Q, but no snow on the ground. 

• Like 1

• Solution

Here's a link to a manual I had in my files, it is for an 2005 model year, not sure if yours is different

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/transmissions/3000_4000_operators.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiVkLCiyZeFAxUNfjABHUtuB_YQFnoECA4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2NZpxZ305ooaNKlC1xC-wO

There is a picture of the communication cable, drivers side. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, timaz996 said:

Are you staying for the snow this weekend?

No. We moved to Santa Fe yesterday. Beautiful here now. Leaving tomorrow heading east. 

I got under the coach just now. I found what appeared to be two sensor connectors and the large harness connector. I was able to disconnect the two sensors, spray with electrical cleaner and apply dielectric grease. I didn’t disconnect the harness as it looked good and a bit more complicated to disconnect. I sprayed cleaner and applied dielectric grease to the outside of it. 

Hopefully this will get us home where I can do a more complete analysis. We have over 1500 miles to go. Hopefully I can avoid wet weather.