2006 Diplomat PDQ shower enclosure glass

19 hours ago, Paul J A said:

https://www.seamerica.com/  was the OEM provider .

Local glass shops or bathroom remodelers would be my 1st choice. 

I would do a dual search.  First, SEA is one of the top vendors still in business and has real customer service. TRAICO is the name of their parts guy (pronounced Tri-Co).  He has been great.

Second, YES….check out a local vendor.  Don’t know what type of glass and such.

BUT if you are disassembling, then be prepared to be a big spender and replacing any hardware with signs of wear over the years….

15 minutes ago, Kenster said:

I'm still suffering from sticker shock. One piece of tempered glass at 15 and a quarter inch by 62 and a half inch is going to cost $600 by the time it's delivered.

Is that from SEA or a local vendor.  The glass, has to be cut and then shipped to a distributor that can heat treat or temper it properly.

For those that are unaware, when a piece of “tempered glass” BREAKS….a GaZillion piece of glass or beads.  WHY? Safety.  If you pop of the outside panes on the driver’s windows or a piece of an OEM Boat (runabout or big cruiser), it totally shatters and doesn’t impale you.

SOLUTION… find a supplier, locally, that can cut “dual pane….laminated windshield glass”.  Has to be the same thickness….which might be a problem.  Done all time for side glasses…..as it is HARD to get an OEM replacement panel…

OTHER SOLUTION….put in a Plexiglass panel.  Use Double thickness…..might have to Laminate with a heavy duty double sided clear tape. If slightly thinner, use double stick tape to shim out where the frame is.  Done ALL the time on boats.  Eventually will have some UV haze… but WAY thicker. Sometimes a panel is “bowed” or has a slight twist.  Had a boat windshield….looked perfectly flat.  NOPE.  My glass guy put in two exact temoered fit panes….when he tightened up the frame so the glass would swing out and latch….the stress shattered it.  Plexiglass to the rescue….

My Plexiglass cost $50….a NEW panel, just the glass, from the boat builder…$450….

If you want to stay with plain tempered flat sheet of your size, you could order from online places like royaltymirror.com for half of your $600 quote with free shipping. 3/8" sheet of your size comes to $306 and you can customize it for mounting/tint etc.for some extra.

18 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Is that from SEA or a local vendor.  The glass, has to be cut and then shipped to a distributor that can heat treat or temper it properly.

For those that are unaware, when a piece of “tempered glass” BREAKS….a GaZillion piece of glass or beads.  WHY? Safety.  If you pop of the outside panes on the driver’s windows or a piece of an OEM Boat (runabout or big cruiser), it totally shatters and doesn’t impale you.

SOLUTION… find a supplier, locally, that can cut “dual pane….laminated windshield glass”.  Has to be the same thickness….which might be a problem.  Done all time for side glasses…..as it is HARD to get an OEM replacement panel…

OTHER SOLUTION….put in a Plexiglass panel.  Use Double thickness…..might have to Laminate with a heavy duty double sided clear tape. If slightly thinner, use double stick tape to shim out where the frame is.  Done ALL the time on boats.  Eventually will have some UV haze… but WAY thicker. Sometimes a panel is “bowed” or has a slight twist.  Had a boat windshield….looked perfectly flat.  NOPE.  My glass guy put in two exact temoered fit panes….when he tightened up the frame so the glass would swing out and latch….the stress shattered it.  Plexiglass to the rescue….

My Plexiglass cost $50….a NEW panel, just the glass, from the boat builder…$450….

I would use 1/4 inch clean Lexan as it much harder to  break than regular plexiglass, we used it to make motorcycle windshields years ago and the never broke or cracked

On 4/24/2024 at 10:59 AM, Kenster said:

I'm still suffering from sticker shock. One piece of tempered glass at 15 and a quarter inch by 62 and a half inch is going to cost $600 by the time it's delivered.

Where are you?  Are they matching the pattern?  

I can get you 4mm Tempered Rain Glass FOB my shop in Thunder Bay, On for $120.00 CAD.  Crating and shipping will be more than the glass and you might be getting close to the $600.00 mark

On 4/25/2024 at 5:40 AM, glang11082 said:

I would use 1/4 inch clean Lexan as it much harder to  break than regular plexiglass, we used it to make motorcycle windshields years ago and the never broke or cracked

Look into Rock Glass or Riot Glass (Benefits of Polycarbonate Glazing (riotglass.com) If you are going the lexan route.  It is Lexan with a proprietary coating that is much more sccrath resistant.  Paper towel wil scratch uncoated lexan