To install coolant shut off valves or not?

I figured I would throw this question out to all to see what has been done in an attempt to not reinvent the wheel. I am in the process of replacing the side radiator and CAC. While the coolant has been drained I thought this would be the time to possibly install coolant shut off valves for supply / return lines for the dash heater core as well as the Aquahot. I figured I would install right on the block at the ISL. This would allow me to isolate the Aquahot and front dash heater if there is a problem with either of the “auxiliary” components to the engine and not leave me stranded on the side of the road like it did once before. It would also improve AC function during the summer months in the front dash. Any thoughts from anyone who has done this? Also, what threaded valves did you use? Did you notice any difference in engine coolant temp (assuming not but figured I would ask)? As always, thanks for any info and thoughts. 

• Like 1

When I had to remove my aquahot from the coach a few years ago to repair a leak, I installed shutoff valves on both engine coolant lines to/from the aquahot to avoid the mess if/when I need to pull it out again. But I did it right there in the bay, not at the engine. I used these from Home Depot: IMG_5082.heic

Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 7.27.45 AM.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, joefromperry said:

When I had to remove my aquahot from the coach a few years ago to repair a leak, I installed shutoff valves on both engine coolant lines to/from the aquahot to avoid the mess if/when I need to pull it out again. But I did it right there in the bay, not at the engine. I used these from Home Depot: IMG_5082.heic

Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 7.27.45 AM.jpg

Thanks Joe

Morning, when i did mine rather than have a mount to the block design i had cut out 3 ft of heater hose from the block, i then replaced it with silicon heater hose, then i installed the shut off valves. That way i knew i would not have to worry about the the hose leading up to the valve. My coach is rear radiator design so my access is thru the closet. One last word about the silicon hose i also used the special hose clamps ,they are full circle so as not to damage it like some others might

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rikadoo said:

Morning, when i did mine rather than have a mount to the block design i had cut out 3 ft of heater hose from the block, i then replaced it with silicon heater hose, then i installed the shut off valves. That way i knew i would not have to worry about the the hose leading up to the valve. My coach is rear radiator design so my access is thru the closet. One last word about the silicon hose i also used the special hose clamps ,they are full circle so as not to damage it like some others might

My initial idea was to avoid any hose prior to the valve but I think I’m going the direction you both have already gone and splice in. Great thought on the silicone hose and appropriate clamps.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DZZippy said:

My initial idea was to avoid any hose prior to the valve but I think I’m going the direction you both have already gone and splice in. Great thought on the silicone hose and appropriate clamps.

I would still keep them as close to the engine as possible!

• Like 1

I removed a pair of valves from my engine.  I had two pairs of heater hoses, one had valves threaded into the engine, and the other was the heater hoses to the front heater core.  I didn't trust the valves to stand the engine vibration, so plugged those holes and will tee into the other heater hoses for other uses.  I will probably not add shut off valves either, as I can cut the hose and loop back to the engine at any point with a knife and screwdriver to keep going in an emergency. 

On mine, the heater hoses to the front have a bypass crossover "H" just before valve, in order to keep hot coolant circulating and provide quicker response I assume.  Useful for defrost also.  The downside of that is heat added to the basement anytime the engine is running.

As mentioned above, when I replaced the Aqua-Hot I installed brass in-line ball valves in both heater hose lines to the furnace. Since I was already deep into that bay, I located them right near the Aqua-Hot. If I had the luxury of more time to think more broadly, I might have put the valves closer to the engine. As an aside, I also installed small ball valves in the supply and return fuel lines to the furnace, just in case.

• Like 1

I think installing shut-offs is a no-brainer. You never know when you may need them.

One of the best places to install shut-offs is on the fuel IN and OUT for the Aqua-Hot Diesel Burner. It sure beats using clamp-offs to stop the flow of fuel while servicing the Aqua-Hot.

22 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

I think installing shut-offs is a no-brainer. You never know when you may need them.

One of the best places to install shut-offs is on the fuel IN and OUT for the Aqua-Hot Diesel Burner. It sure beats using clamp-offs to stop the flow of fuel while servicing the Aqua-Hot.

I couldn’t agree more. Here is the funny thing….I did exactly that (Aquahot). I installed valves rated for diesel and vibration about 1 year ago. Never had and an issue. Then, after the coach sat in storage, I went in to a 1 gallon puddle on the floor under the Aquahot compartment. Yep it was diesel. Apparently one of the new shut off valves leaked through the stem of the valve. I now have a mess to deal with. All I could do was laugh. Already ordered new valves (different ones).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DZZippy said:

I couldn’t agree more. Here is the funny thing….I did exactly that (Aquahot). I installed valves rated for diesel and vibration about 1 year ago. Never had and an issue. Then, after the coach sat in storage, I went in to a 1 gallon puddle on the floor under the Aquahot compartment. Yep it was diesel. Apparently one of the new shut off valves leaked through the stem of the valve. I now have a mess to deal with. All I could do was laugh. Already ordered new valves (different ones).

Kurtis,

I had the exact same experience. During the replacement (AHE-100-03S to D600), I picked up fuel line valves at the local Napa. Several years later, when I went to the storage area to run the furnace (people think Phoenix is always warm, but almost every year we have at least one short period of freeze warnings), I had a fuel leak. I replaced the defective valve and it’s twin with simple barbed unions, found real brass ball valves online, and will install those while I’m doing my periodic Aqua-Hot maintenance this summer.

7 hours ago, georgecederholm said:

Kurtis,

I had the exact same experience. During the replacement (AHE-100-03S to D600), I picked up fuel line valves at the local Napa. Several years later, when I went to the storage area to run the furnace (people think Phoenix is always warm, but almost every year we have at least one short period of freeze warnings), I had a fuel leak. I replaced the defective valve and it’s twin with simple barbed unions, found real brass ball valves online, and will install those while I’m doing my periodic Aqua-Hot maintenance this summer.

My sympathies!!