Need urgent help on Shock!

Go to solution Solved by klcdenver,

I am in the middle of replacing all my shocks, just noticed the old shock doesn't have the steel piece inside the top bolt hole but the now one does.
The is no way for me to push the old bolt inside new shock top hole without removing the steel piece.
So I have two options
1. Remove the steel piece and use the old bolt and nut
2. Leave the steel piece in place, buy a new set of the bolts to fit the hole on the new shock.

What will you do?
Thank you

20240514_095648.jpg

20240514_095715.jpg

20240514_095709.jpg

3 minutes ago, klcdenver said:

You have to stay with diameter bolt that fits snug to the hole in your mounting brackets. You should also have a steel bushing inside the rubber on the shock. 

OK, then new bolt!

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, John C said:

I am in the middle of replacing all my shocks, just noticed the old shock doesn't have the steel piece inside the top bolt hole but the now one does.
The is no way for me to push the old bolt inside new shock top hole without removing the steel piece.
So I have two options
1. Remove the steel piece and use the old bolt and nut
2. Leave the steel piece in place, buy a new set of the bolts to fit the hole on the new shock.

What will you do?
Thank you

20240514_095648.jpg

20240514_095715.jpg

20240514_095709.jpg

Assume you mean the steel bushing inside the new one is wider that your bracket?

Call Bilstein and ask for RV Shock Tech support.  Bilstein had some errors in the literature.  If you ordered from one of online distributors, most would get the MH information and call Bilstein themselves and verify PN before they shipped.

Based on your comments on the other thread, i assumed you had a stud nut on top.  

Bilstein or the distributor is your first call.  I am hesitant to advice a shade tree fix as you may have the wrong shock.  Supposedly all the Monaco’s were the same, but I have heard of some issues when Monaco did some weird things and there was not a Bilstein that would work on that model.  Source Engineering ran into that, IIRC, and the member ended up with Koni’s…

Is there a stamped Bilstein number on your old shocks.  Monaco also did buy off shore shocks and had them custom painted to match, but the word BILSTEIN was never on them….or so I was told by an EX Monaco employee…

4 minutes ago, John C said:

OK, then new bolt!

Thank you!

CONFUSED…

The bolt must be the same diameter as the old one….to fit in the mounting holes….otherwise the shock is gonna wallow around.  
Please read my post….

your description of the issue confused me….is the new steel bushing too WIDE or is the hole diameter wrong.?

I would not beat out a bushing.  Can you easily remove the new bushing?  Is the diameter the same.

Lots of questions….speaking for the staff, we recommend that you sort this out with Billstein and are concerned that a member might unknowingly advise something unsafe…and shocks are critical issues…

OUR POSITION….any advice posted here that may be incorrect for your situation must be flagged with a comment that anything done or modified during an installation that is questionable and not approved by the vendor could be a safety issue……and is to be considered as “incorrect until the manufacturer approves” and that you have acknowledged such…absolves the site of all liability….

This might be simple…but until it is clear….anything you do is at your own risk….

Thanks for understanding….

• Like 1

Interesting. My new Bilsteins came with the sleeves separate, like if they were an option to install or not. Since my old shocks had the sleeves, I pressed them in and used the new ones just like the originals. Exact fit but that's few years ago and my shocks have eyes on both ends.

52 minutes ago, Tom Cherry said:

Assume you mean the steel bushing inside the new one is wider that your bracket?

Call Bilstein and ask for RV Shock Tech support.  Bilstein had some errors in the literature.  If you ordered from one of online distributors, most would get the MH information and call Bilstein themselves and verify PN before they shipped.

Based on your comments on the other thread, i assumed you had a stud nut on top.  

Bilstein or the distributor is your first call.  I am hesitant to advice a shade tree fix as you may have the wrong shock.  Supposedly all the Monaco’s were the same, but I have heard of some issues when Monaco did some weird things and there was not a Bilstein that would work on that model.  Source Engineering ran into that, IIRC, and the member ended up with Koni’s…

Is there a stamped Bilstein number on your old shocks.  Monaco also did buy off shore shocks and had them custom painted to match, but the word BILSTEIN was never on them….or so I was told by an EX Monaco employee…

CONFUSED…

The bolt must be the same diameter as the old one….to fit in the mounting holes….otherwise the shock is gonna wallow around.  
Please read my post….

your description of the issue confused me….is the new steel bushing too WIDE or is the hole diameter wrong.?

I would not beat out a bushing.  Can you easily remove the new bushing?  Is the diameter the same.

Lots of questions….speaking for the staff, we recommend that you sort this out with Billstein and are concerned that a member might unknowingly advise something unsafe…and shocks are critical issues…

OUR POSITION….any advice posted here that may be incorrect for your situation must be flagged with a comment that anything done or modified during an installation that is questionable and not approved by the vendor could be a safety issue……and is to be considered as “incorrect until the manufacturer approves” and that you have acknowledged such…absolves the site of all liability….

This might be simple…but until it is clear….anything you do is at your own risk….

Thanks for understanding….

The old one is Bilstein.

The old one doesn't have steel sleeve so you need a large bolt.

Now the now shock does have sleeve, the old bolt just won't fit.

Just bolt thr new smaller bolts from a bolt store with exactly same material. The one with grease is the old one

20240514_111330.jpg

May_14_2024_11_18_57.jpg

36 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

Interesting. My new Bilsteins came with the sleeves separate, like if they were an option to install or not. Since my old shocks had the sleeves, I pressed them in and used the new ones just like the originals. Exact fit but that's few years ago and my shocks have eyes on both ends.

Look everyone has the sleeve, no sure what is the reason why the old shocks top hole (all 10 of them) doesn't have sleeve. but the bottom hole does have sleeve!

The must be a story behind it.

Just like you buy a old house!

So the new smaller bolts will rattle in their brackets and elongate the holes? I would look for bushings to fill the difference but my top eyes go on a stud welded through the frame rail.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

So the new smaller bolts will rattle in their brackets and elongate the holes? I would look for bushings to fill the difference but my top eyes go on a stud welded through the frame rail.

I don't believe the bolt will elongate the hole, because it fits the hole just right, maybe 1mm gap? after I tight the bolt it shouldn't move...

1 hour ago, 96 EVO said:

I'm surprised your '07 coach doesn't have the pin / nut mount on top 🤔!

It does have nut mount top..