How to remove hub caps

Go to solution Solved by Garry Donohue,

On my 2007 Dynasty, trying to inspect my steer hubs. In the pic, you will see an outer hub cap IMG_5362.thumb.jpeg.a1a839d1c716c8cc167578365b541db7.jpege my finger is pointing to an indent. There is another indent 180 degrees opposite. My question.. Do I pry in that indent to get the small hub cap off to inspect the bearings? I didn’t want to start prying on it without knowing. Thanks in advance..

This looks like a previous owner added another chrome cap over the aluminum wheel.  It might be as simple as first pulling off the lug nut covers and the whole assembly will come off.  Hopefully someone will recognize the design and chime in.

Posted (edited)

Not familiar with what you’re showing but try using a paint can opener, get behind it and pull instead of prying it off. It would seem that the indent is there for a purpose?

Edited by tmw188

15 hours ago, Frank McElroy said:

This looks like a previous owner added another chrome cap over the aluminum wheel.  It might be as simple as first pulling off the lug nut covers and the whole assembly will come off.  Hopefully someone will recognize the design and chime in.

I think your right about the aftermarket caps!

The lug nut's on Accuride's, nor Alcoa's (as far as I know), are in recessed holes.

I'm thinking that the previous owner lost a couple of original center caps and found one that could be locked in using another chrome cover and that's what he did.

As the trucker saying goes - "chrome doesn't get you home" but it sure looks good!