SiriusXM antenna replacement

Good morning

We have a 2009 Knight 38PKQ that has a damaged Sirius XM antenna.  I have a replacement but ...

Has anyone replaced their Sirius antenna?  If so, I'm wondering how you managed to do this?  There does not appear to be an 'easy' access to the ceiling area near the same location that the antenna is located or even access to the top of the left pillar which is where I imagine the coax is located.  I hope I do not have to remove all of the front cabinets!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Laurice

Hi Laurice,

I recently installed an XM/Sirius radio in my 2005 Signature. I ran the antennae cable from the radio to the driver side pillar where I tucked it behind the rubber window gasket, up to the overhead cabinets, over to within about 10" of where the TV antennae cable went to the roof, where I then came out of the cabinet. I used the same holes in the cabinets that were already there for the co-ax for the TV antennae, but did have to enlarge one of the holes. Then I just took the cable up to the roof through the TV antennae channel. I removed the TV antennae then pulled the XM/Sirius antennae through, mounted and resealed everything with Dicor self-leveling sealant (fiberglass roof). All of the wire is invisible but for about 10" from the cabinet to the TV antennae channel. Looks very clean. I hope this helps.

Moe McKnight

Not sure about the lighting configuration of your coach but most the the HR/Monacos I've seen over the years are pretty much the same.  There is a light above the driver's seat that can be pulled down/out and that should provide access to the roof (and also permits access to the Winegard TV batwing wiring).   Once you're in the roof cavity you have all sorts of options on drilling a new hole for the antenna, fishing the cable to either the window pillars, etc. 

Adam

2010 Neptune 37PBQ, 2019 Jeep Cherokee

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, laurice@email.com said:

Thank you Moe and Adam.  Most helpful.  Suddenly my weekend project is not as big as I was expected.  Thanks again, much appreciated

Laurice 

On our 2006 Diplomat I have installed Sirius XM and GPS antennas by removing the left A-pillar and the speaker just above the A-pillar. Removing the speaker allows you to reach up into the cavity and fish the cable down to the A-pillar area and from there you route it into the dash.

1 minute ago, Bob Nodine said:

On our 2006 Diplomat I have installed Sirius XM and GPS antennas by removing the left A-pillar and the speaker just above the A-pillar. Removing the speaker allows you to reach up into the cavity and fish the cable down to the A-pillar area and from there you route it into the dash.

Edited by Bob Nodine
  • Thanks 1

Comment for you.  GO on the ROOF.  You should see the XM (or Siris) antenna.  It is a SQUARE section.  Monaco used a GROUND PLANE or plate for the later models.  I THINK that mine is just a SS plate....or maybe just plain steel.  It is glued or caulked in place.  The antenna is the standard Magnetic XM antenna.  There are adapters on the internet so that you can use the plug in or there is a plug in that adapts to a Coax connector.

I have installed these before and had one permanently on my old Winnebago.  I might have used some 16 gage galvanized and then put down an X bead of caulk.  I then seated the plate over that.  I drilled a small hole for the antenna connector and fed it in.  I MIGHT have put on a Grommet.  I then "caulked" it like you would not believe.  That was my "shadetree" install for the Winnie.  The Camelot came with an XM adapter.  I took it out.  BINGO....it was the SAME connection as my portable MyFI Delco unit.  SO, I just plugged it in.

I DID look at what Monaco did.  They used a plate (think of a diamond).  One Corner was pointed to the front and the other to the back.  So it was used as the Ground Plane.  Then they caulked in the whole thing.  They caulked around the magnetic base and the hole...

Good Luck

1 hour ago, laurice@email.com said:

Thanks Tom

Great information.  Will check this out tomorrow. Last time I was up there and discovered that the original antenna was damaged I don’t recall seeing a ground plane but I could wrong.  
Thanks again

Laurice

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=K332&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=k332&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgo_5BRDuARIsADDEntR1pMMKbK2YYoIxYcUOKuEXfIsXorkXyZuw1TNZVKpc6NxCzMejKHwaAk3TEALw_wcB

Do some googling.  My recall is that I have about a 6" square plate.  Metal unknown.  THe whole plate is covered with caulk, but the black "Beetle" antenna is stuck to it.  The above is for the same antenna.  You have an access hole in the top.

You can also buy a trucker's XM antenna.  That is like a small dome on a post.  It has a 3" base for the reflectivity.

Bottom line....you need a GROUND plain (plane?) on a fiberglass surface.  Same as a CB or other antenna.  Matters not the metal.  a thin piece of sheet metal work.  SS, (typically 304) will also work.  If you use aluminum, then you are depending on the adhesive.  So, I would go for galvanized or 304.  The Dicor Lap Seal (self leveling works well and spreads out.

If you have the upright style (dome with post), then the ground plane was built in.  But if you want to use the magnetic beetle, that works fine.  XM is persnickity.  I loose it in the car all the time when the trees are in full foliage and especially if wet.  I rarely lose it in the MH.  Don't know if the more expensive dome or dish type are better or now.  I have used the magnetics for years....and then put them in permanently for the MH.  I had a plate that I put on the front dash of my Vette.  Again, it was SS with a black piece of Duct Tape to prevent glare.  I had great XM reception from it.

https://www.amazon.com/XM-Interoperable-Magnetic-Satellite-Antenna/dp/B01H5D0I1A/ref=asc_df_B01H5D0I1A/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309807586683&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15891754408463982562&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009731&hvtargid=pla-570357881701&psc=1

If the link breaks....go to Amazon.  Put in XM Magnetic antenna.  $19 or so.  That is what Monaco used on the 2009 Camelot.....with the ground plane...

Good luck... 

Laurice,

years ago, while I lived I Florida, I had Lazy Days install my XM antenna because I didn’t want to drill a hole in the roof of my 05 Windsor,  Well, some time later while up behind the TV, I realized that when they installed the antenna, they just used silicone sealer to attach it to the inside of the fiberglass Cap behind the clearance lights.  It worked perfect as the signal went through the fiberglass 

duncan H,

14 Entegra Anthem

05 Windsor sold 

SF Bay Area

When I added XM to my 06 Dip, the installer said a magnetic "beetle" antenna would avoid drilling holes. He stuck it on the metal framework in the front cap. It works fine unless I'm parked or traveling in a Northerly direction, then I loose the signal. 

My solution is a trucker antenna mounted on top or on the side of the front cap. I'm not sure if I'll run the lead down the right or left pillar.