My Onan 8k QD sputtered and stopped

Okay getting ready for a road trip went out this morning started the generator no problem it ran for about 1 minute sputtered and quit.

Now I'm getting a 3 blink error code and all the tells me about that error code is service generator.

Any quick ideas what's going wrong?

It is a 2005 HR Ambassador if that adds anything.

Edited by TomV48
Forgot make and model

Thanks that was my first thought.  Gauge says above 1/4 but below 1/2   SO Taking it out for fuel later today.   I have only put couple thousand miles on this since got it just before Pandemic so not sure how to rate fuel gauge accuracy YET.    Under 400 miles on this tank of 100 gallons,  so far but who knows!

Thanks   KEEP THOSE SUGGESTIONS COMING, I'm afraid of this becoming a late "Night before trip"!

Tom:

When your generator quits, it will flash blink codes on the on-off switch in the motorhome (maybe on the one on the generator as well, but I haven't checked.

A quick google got me this:

"Your Onan generator won't start and the light blinks 3 times again and again. When the light blinks three times in a row, it is indicating a service shutdown. You need to get a secondary code from the generator. Press the Stop/Prime button 1 time to prompt a second, two digit fault code."

Here's a video about fault codes:

Check your manual for the list of blink codes.

14 hours ago, TomV48 said:

Thanks that was my first thought.  Gauge says above 1/4 but below 1/2   SO Taking it out for fuel later today.   I have only put couple thousand miles on this since got it just before Pandemic so not sure how to rate fuel gauge accuracy YET.    Under 400 miles on this tank of 100 gallons,  so far but who knows!

Thanks   KEEP THOSE SUGGESTIONS COMING, I'm afraid of this becoming a late "Night before trip"!

Just so you know, if you are driving where there are hills the generator could be starved for fuel even if the tank fuel level is above 1/4. That assumes your fuel gauge is accurate, most are not. When the weather is warm we run with the generator on and both air conditioners running. Years ago coming back from North Carolina we started up a long grade and the generator quit even through the fuel level was above 1/4 of a tank. Once it is starved for fuel it can be a struggle to get it started again because you need to clear all the air from the fuel line. It may require several starts before the generator remains on. Every since that incident I start looking for a fuel stop when the gauge reaches 1/2 full.  This old man's bladder needs a stop long before the fuel gauge reaches 1/2 so we don't mind stopping for fuel. Some have lengthened the generator fuel pickup tube in the fuel tank but I don't think that is a wise move.

1 hour ago, Bob Nodine said:

Just so you know, if you are driving where there are hills the generator could be starved for fuel even if the tank fuel level is above 1/4. That assumes your fuel gauge is accurate, most are not. When the weather is warm we run with the generator on and both air conditioners running. Years ago coming back from North Carolina we started up a long grade and the generator quit even through the fuel level was above 1/4 of a tank. Once it is starved for fuel it can be a struggle to get it started again because you need to clear all the air from the fuel line. It may require several starts before the generator remains on. Every since that incident I start looking for a fuel stop when the gauge reaches 1/2 full.  This old man's bladder needs a stop long before the fuel gauge reaches 1/2 so we don't mind stopping for fuel. Some have lengthened the generator fuel pickup tube in the fuel tank but I don't think that is a wise move.

PROBABLY not your issue....but I will throw it out.  

I left the Shore plugged in.  Then, because it was hot and I wanted to have the AC ON....I started the Genny and then pulled the AC (tripped breaker).  That upset it beyond all imagination.  I tried to restart it.  NADA.  

Finally hit me.  DW had been in Toad and was following me to fuel from CG.  She did not TURN OFF the AC.  So, there was no 120 second (2 minutes) delay.  The Genny was put under a load immediately and complained.  I let it rest for about half an hour (while I fueled and hooked up toad).  I also cut OFF the AC.

Bingo....it started and ran great the entire trip.  That was maybe 3 years ago and some 20 K and probably some 300 Hours of Genny runtime ago.

I would make sure that the AC is NOT on.  Let it sit....or reset.  Then, crank it.  Let it run...hopefully it will....and get warmed up.  I think that i let it run for at least half an hour just to get it feeling better.

Hope this helps....

TOM V.... (edited for clarity as Multiple TOM's are posting)

What you are experiencing is also indicative of low oil level. 

As far as fuel no two coaches have the same level for the low fuel cutoff. Mine is too conservative and cuts out at 1/3 of a tank. Because of that I try not to let my fuel level drop below 1/2 tank.

Let us know what you find out. 

Ken

Edited by Tom Cherry
Edited for clarity....too many TOM's

6 minutes ago, Grampy OG said:

Tom what you are experiencing is also indicative of low oil level. 

As far as fuel no two coaches have the same level for the low fuel cutoff. Mine is too conservative and cuts out at 1/3 of a tank. Because of that I try not to let my fuel level drop below 1/2 tank.

Let us know what you find out. 

Ken

Ken,

I edited your post....too confusing when we have multiple Toms...., 

4 hours ago, Tom Cherry said:

Ken,

I edited your post....too confusing when we have multiple Toms...., 

Thanks to those who responded. Just a new owner unfamiliarity. My gas gauge showed / 1/3 of what he supposedly a hundred gallon tank. Turns out it took 70 gallons to top it off and after some struggling to get fuel flowing again that solved the problem.

Thanks again for the help right to the point and spot on.

3 hours ago, TomV48 said:

Thanks to those who responded. Just a new owner unfamiliarity. My gas gauge showed / 1/3 of what he supposedly a hundred gallon tank. Turns out it took 70 gallons to top it off and after some struggling to get fuel flowing again that solved the problem.

Thanks again for the help right to the point and spot on.

Wonderful.  As a new owner, congratulations.  You can also benefit from the mistakes of us "Seasoned" MOHO's.....so TURN OFF (Note, always use the MODE and set the T'Stat to OFF....the snap or toggle switch on the bottom ain't the most robust) THE AC and then let your Genny run for a few minutes (with Shore OFF).  That way you will prevent the sputtering that I had from trying to go to full TWO AC Loads....the Genny was NOT happy

TomV48:

In addition to Tom Cherry's good advice about turning off the air conditioning before starting the generator, there's another reason to turn off the air conditioning before you start or stop the generator.

I'm not sure how much you know about this stuff, so forgive me if you know some of this already. 

Deep background:

Your transfer switch defaults to shore power.  When you start the generator, the contactors in the transfer switch move from the shore power to the generator position.  If you have a big load (air conditioner or microwave) at the time you make the switch, the contactors will arc when disconnecting from shore power (if you're connected to shore power) and arc again when the moving contactors connect with the generator side.

Over time, this can cause your transfer switch to melt.  Don't ask me how I know this.

You should check to see what transfer switch you have.  If it's an IOTA, change it now.  Mine melted.  Others have caught fire.

I now have an ESCO, which is a better transfer switch, but now I never (OK, almost never) have the air conditioners running when I switch from shore to generator. 

Dwight L
05 Knight