Suggestions for upgrades: Tires, lighting, flooring.

K9 Exec

1.I am looking to replace my tires with a new set of Michelins and would like some info on the "best" place to purchase and have installed at the best price. The coach is in Jax, Fl.

2. I would like to replace the couch with a high end leather sleeper sofa with under storage. Price is not an issue, quality is!

3. All the interior lighting will be replaced with led lights/fixtures, suggestions where to purchase? I will do the install myself.

4. I would like to replace the tile/hardwood flooring in the coach, but the repair companies quote me yet never show up. I am mechanically and electrically inclined, but have never done flooring. Can anyone point me to some awesome videos or how-to, step by step DIY tile removal and reinstallation? I don't have the time and would love to pay somebody, but they won't take my money... If anyone knows of capable people/company that are competent in RV floor replacement, that won't take 4-10 days for the job- DM me please!

Thanks,

NIc

I could also use new tail lighting, I am having a difficult time finding exact replacements. Has anyone replaced the tail/turn assemblies on an '02 HR Endeavor?

Thanks,

Nic

If you are set on Michelin tires, I would check out the FMCA tire program.  

https://www.fmca.com/rv-tires-discounts?gclid=Cj0KCQjwufn8BRCwARIsAKzP6940bskc6C3hId9voiX-FccsOC6xm08G7JjFR_YjMBDEXHDV-s2lLCAaAgU_EALw_wcB 

However, I would recommend you also check on Toyo tires.  Many RV owners are now using Toyo tires because of price and performance.  

If you want the best RV furniture, talk to Mike at Villa International.

Villa International

13760 Midway Street

Cerritos, California 90703

Local: 562-404-8111  Fax: 562-404-7785

information@villainternational.com

Villa built the leather furniture for all the high end Monaco coaches.  You can give Mike your build number and he can pull up the original order from Monaco.  They make a leather couch with a fold out queen air mattress that is beautiful.  Or you can go with the standard jackknife couch with drawers underneath.  

• Like 1

Nic:

I would give serious consideration to NOT using Michelins since you live in Florida. Unless your coach is garage kept the Florida UV Rays will crack those michelins in 3 years. There are many members here who have experienced it. Michelin makes a great tire but they do not use enough UV inhibitors in their tires. You may want to consider Bridgestones, Yokohamas or Toyo's. I have Yoko's and love them and they are readily available throughout the country. Also, if you currently have 275's on your endeavor I suggest going to 295's. I did this on my ambassador and now run a little less pressure and have a smoother ride not to mention I increased my load capacity on the tires.

In regards to flooring, there is nothing technical about it. But make no mistake you will get one helluva work out. My knees and back ached for days after words. One of my friends owns a coach renovation center in Elkhart ( the old Holiday Rambler factory ). She is using a lot of Alterna ( made by Armstrong ) for flooring. I looked at it when I was with her in Tampa and I really like it. So much so I am going to pull up my vinyl planking and replace it with that. Local floor installers hate working on RV's which is why they probably are not showing up. Flooring is definitely a DIY project if you are physically able to.

As for furniture there are very few players in the game. Flexsteel is gone out of business. You may want to contact Bradd at Bradd and Hall in Elkhart and talk with him about options. Bradd is a great guy and has been a friend of mine for years. He is a straight shooter and will give you some ideas. If you ever get to Elkhart I suggest you wonder around at some of the surplus RV stores. There is always new furniture laying around at these places. You also may want to check Visones salvage yard. They have late model wrecks including Prevosts. Your other alternative is to go to a Prevost converter and have them custom make one for you. Millenium in Sanford, FL has an awesome upholstery shop and custom make furniture there. I believe Donny Meyers in Orlando also has an upholstery shop.

In as far as LED's is considered I have slowly changed my lights over. I am pretty much over ballasts, fluorescent tubes and halogens. Best of luck with your renovation. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What Mr. Martin said about Michelin tires is spot on. I got more than three years out of them, but only 25,000 miles and that was for the 295 80 22.5 size. Could not believe it when they cracked. Remember, no matter what tire you get, they are only good for about six years. If that is the case, no sense spending a bunch of money on them. Toyo's are very good, so are Hercules.

I always hear about the sun's ultraviolet rays cracking them, but I've talked to knowledgable people who claim it is really oxygen 3. Oxygen 3 is a very corrosive component of the  earth's atmosphere.

He is right about going to 295 75 22.5. much better ride. Plus they are a common truck size.

Loren

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2020 at 7:18 AM, throgmartin said:

Nic:

I would give serious consideration to NOT using Michelins since you live in Florida. Unless your coach is garage kept the Florida UV Rays will crack those michelins in 3 years. There are many members here who have experienced it. Michelin makes a great tire but they do not use enough UV inhibitors in their tires. You may want to consider Bridgestones, Yokohamas or Toyo's. I have Yoko's and love them and they are readily available throughout the country. Also, if you currently have 275's on your endeavor I suggest going to 295's. I did this on my ambassador and now run a little less pressure and have a smoother ride not to mention I increased my load capacity on the tires.

In regards to flooring, there is nothing technical about it. But make no mistake you will get one helluva work out. My knees and back ached for days after words. One of my friends owns a coach renovation center in Elkhart ( the old Holiday Rambler factory ). She is using a lot of Alterna ( made by Armstrong ) for flooring. I looked at it when I was with her in Tampa and I really like it. So much so I am going to pull up my vinyl planking and replace it with that. Local floor installers hate working on RV's which is why they probably are not showing up. Flooring is definitely a DIY project if you are physically able to.

As for furniture there are very few players in the game. Flexsteel is gone out of business. You may want to contact Bradd at Bradd and Hall in Elkhart and talk with him about options. Bradd is a great guy and has been a friend of mine for years. He is a straight shooter and will give you some ideas. If you ever get to Elkhart I suggest you wonder around at some of the surplus RV stores. There is always new furniture laying around at these places. You also may want to check Visones salvage yard. They have late model wrecks including Prevosts. Your other alternative is to go to a Prevost converter and have them custom make one for you. Millenium in Sanford, FL has an awesome upholstery shop and custom make furniture there. I believe Donny Meyers in Orlando also has an upholstery shop.

In as far as LED's is considered I have slowly changed my lights over. I am pretty much over ballasts, fluorescent tubes and halogens. Best of luck with your renovation. 🙂

Chris,

Are you running Yokohama 295/75R22.5 RY617 tires on the front? Are they load range H? Many of the Yokohama tires seem to have aggressive treads but this one looks like a bus tire. I want put load range G on the coach because I like to reduce the air pressure on the front for a better ride.

On 11/2/2020 at 4:18 AM, throgmartin said:

Nic:

Chris, I have a 2002 Ambassador 36' & 255 80R 22.5 with Michelin's that are 5 years old, so looking to replace. Would I be able to increase size to maybe 275? I like the idea of more rubber makes for a better ride! Thanks for your help!