2001 Monaco Signature repairs and updates list

Mike Wahl

HI everyone, we recently purchased a 2001 Monaco Signature.  The previous owner purchased it when it was a year old.  It is a very clean coach with many of the maintance records.  I have been putting together a list of items that we want to repair or update.  I’m working on prioritizing the list because time and resources will not allow them all to be done right away.

_64AlXxHNPvYfUtq-M-j-2pGxLZebbsV8DvAZKbE

1st a little background.  We have had a 5th wheel for the last 16 year and before that a slide in truck camper.  As a family we do a lot of antique equipment shows where we operate our historic steam traction engines, sawmills and other historic equipment.  The steam engine is transported by semi and lowboy. In the past, with the 5th wheel if I want to take anything else along; tractor, water wagon for the steam engine or the model T Ford, I needed to take a 2nd trip.  The ability to pull at trailer to move these items was a huge deciding factor for looking at class A’s.  After looking at some Class A’s coaches (Monaco, Country Coach, Beaver) we found the level of quality was excellent and were sold that the class A was the way to go.

We will use the coach 5-8 weekends a year for the historic equipment shows and 4-8 time camping at state parks, friends and family’s places.  Most of these will be boondocking or with limited 20 amps of power and sometimes water.  We will put on 5,000 to 8,000 miles a year using the coach.  We are at least 10 year away using it to head south in the winter. 

Here is the list.  Looking for input on priority and anything else we overlooked as new owners.

1.  Tires.  The current steer tires are 2017 and the drive and tag are 2010.  These is no question here the drive and steer need to be replaced before we use it.  I plan to move the steers to the tag and put the new tires on the steer.

2.  Microwave.  We purchased the unit with a non-operating microwave.  The previous owner had replaced it at some point with a standard microwave.  From what I can tell the coach originally had a Sharp convection microwave in it.  We plan to replace it with a convection microwave.  We are thinking an updated Sharp model.

3.  Steering stabilizer.  I have looked a few different options.  Not sure from what I have read is the a must have on a nice to have on a Monaco roadmaster chassis.  I have seen owners of other brands say it’s a must.  Steering stabilizer.  I have seen there are several out there including ones that have centering offsetting.

4.  Shocks.  The current shocks are original but none of them show signs of leakage.

5.  Fridge.  It has a Norcold 1200 with the recalls done.  I know there is a lot of strong feelings on this topic.  I have looked at the JC refrigeration upgrades, and posts on residential.  Most places we travel will be boondocking with no generators after 10:00 pm.

6.  LED lighting outside.  I would like to upgrade the headlights and taillights.  The markers are already done.

7.  LED lighting inside.  Replace bulbs or fixtures.

8.  Solar.  Still has the original system from Monaco.  I did some playing with this and it looks to not be working.  Would be more of a priority if I go to a residential fridge.

9.  Remove 3M protective film.  The RV has 3M front protection on the front of the coach.  I have seen several posts on removal.  Does anyone put this back on?

10. Air bags. The previous owner had replaced 3 of the air bags.  During the inspection I found that the rest look to be in good shape, but are 19 years old.

11. Engine Monitoring system.  I have looked at Blue Fire and a couple of others.  Many say they wont leave home without it.

12. Towed vehicle.   We have a 2020 Jeep Cherokee and a 2005 GMC 3500 pick-up.  Trying to decide if I want to tow a new car or if I want tow a 1 ton truck with duals.

13. Tyron bands.  Wondering what thoughts are on these or the other manufactures of them.

14. Surge protector.  Should I have one.  What kind, built in or as part of electrical plug. 

I know it’s a long list and I have more than likely missed some stuff.  I look forward to your input and responses.  Thank you in advance for your input and help.

Mike

Mike,

I'll give you my experience with  couple of your items:

(1) Tires: Toyo's are considerably less expensive, have a good reputation, and via my experience have a smoother ride than the Michelins I replaced. Lot of divergent opinions about the entire topic of ties.

(3) Steering Stabilizer. You'll get a lot of divergent opinions on this but I'll give you my experience with Safe-T-Plus. I got it to keep the RV from veering off into the boonies with a front-tire blowout, and to do less fighting the steering when trucks passed or getting blown about by crosswinds. Steering stability is much improved, and fortunately I have not had to experience a blowout but the demonstration videos are very convincing. My take is Safe-T-Plus is very satisfactory replacement for Tryon Bands, and much less expensive and much easier to install (I did Safe-T-Plus myself, and took about an hour, plus  about four test runs to fine-tune straight-ahead tracking).

(4) Shocks: Monaco replaced my Monroes with Monacoes as that was all they had available when they were closing shop. My mistake. They don't last very long and give a lousy ride.

(5) Norcold 1200: On this Monacoers forum someone recommended the ARP device whose design is much safer and more reliable than the Norcold numerous updates. Strikes me a a no-brainer considering all that has to be changed for a residential fridge conversion, saying nothing of the expense, plus I real-time can see the stack temperature as a double-check. I highly recommend this, if for nothing more than an interim SOLUTION assuming you eventually want a residential fridge.

(14) Surge Protector: Should be on your high-priority list. Again based on the recommendations from the folks on this forum, I highly recommend the Progressive HW50C hard-wired unit. It has saved my bacon several times, particularly in low-voltage situations when it cut power which I'm sure protected my AC's from burning out with the ever-hotter summer temps and campground electrical networks running at or above their capacity.

Good luck with your ambitious project and enjoy many years of this great lifestyle!

Bob Dinsmore 2000 Diplomat

• Thanks 2

Previous owners put a Safe-T-+ on our 08 Navigator. I disconnected it after 4K miles as it made driving noticeably tiring compared to 80K miles without one on the same chassis. Made my own adjustable on the fly mount (to cheap to pay $550 for a trip kit) so I can neutralize the push from crosswinds.

Would not buy one unless it’s adjustable on the fly. Safe-T-+ started when there was no power steering...I have my doubts how much good it does with power steering in a blowout. After the loud bang, you will have to steer opposite to the side that blew (not straight ahead) which will be against the stabilizer.

Definitely get the ARP control system for your NoCold 1200...better control of it than the bandaid black box recall...it’s work so well it’s up to Revision F on it.

Assuming the front tire have 110 psi in them, I would not replace BECAUSE I would put 6 11R22.5 on the rear (most common truck tire and same diameter as a 295. On the rear you do not need the load carrying of a 295...you do on the front. Any brand other than overpriced, cracking Michelin’s... Toyo, Hankook, Hercules

Plenty of LED bulbs on EBay for less than $1...G4 12 5050 in warm white.

• Thanks 1

Front tires for sure. I would not have a RV with a Norcold in it. Those 1200 series caused enough fires to convince me to replace ours with a Samsung 8-9 years ago. Actually keeps things cold. If you can run your generator a couple of hours a day while boondocking and then for a short time just before going to bed you will have no trouble if you have good batteries. I replaced my old floresant tubes with LEDs just because they burned out so fast. The steering stabilizer I don't think is necessary with power steering. I have had a blow out on the front of my 2003 Beaver. Was not a problem staying on the road and getting to the shoulder. Seven year old Toyos. Did not buy those again. We have replaced the Sharpe Microwave/Convection oven. I believe they still make a direct replacement. I would check the maintainance records for items like fan belts etc. One thing I have recommended to some people is the front wheel bearings. If they are still the old greased bearings consider replacing bearings and races and go with oil bath and synthenic lube.

• Thanks 1

For your engine monitoring system look long and hard at SilverLeaf VMSpc. I've been using it for over 20 years. The updates are free and it shows much more that any of the other systems. I use it with a 17" laptop, split the screen to 1/3 VMSpc and 2/3 GPS.

Another thing to consider is removing the propane stove and replacing it with an induction cooktop. We remover ours, removed the propane tank and got another bay down below.

Chet

45' Castle IV, Detroit, towing Jeep GC diesel

• Thanks 1

Right now in the middle of my own "to-do" list on a new-to-us 05 Sig. Here are comment and suggestions.

1. Tires.  I did the move steer-to-tag a few times with our older 03 Dynasty, based on roughly swapping steer to tag every 5 years, replacing drive tires every seven.  @Ivylog made a good point about using 11R's instead of the 295's in the rear.  I haven't done that yet since my 05 came with 2-year old Michelins.  Some have mentioned Toyos. I did use M144's on my Dynasty drive axle & they were great.  I won't comment about other brands.

3.  Steering.  There's also a Watts-Link setup which was designed to alleviate some of the disadvantages of Monaco's Panhard-Bar design on Roadmaster chassis.  It is particularly popular the non-tag models.  Many here on the forum know much more about it than I do so I'll defer to them.

5. Fridge.  My current 05 Sig is factory equipped with a Residential.  My 03 Dyn was not and I installed a Samsung RF197; should have done that sooner for many reasons.  Liked the Samsung French Door model a lot better than this whirlpool side by side, but as long as it keeps up working there's a whole bunch of other stuff on the project list.

11. Engine Monitoring.  I agree with Chet on VMSpc.  I've used it since my 2000 Diplomat.

14.  Surge Protector.  I put a whole-house surge protector on my 03 Dynasty, same as the one in my house.  Surge Protector is also on my project list for the 05 Sig.

Also, 

Check coolant hoses, belts. Change them if there's any question in your mind about them. 

Check air system for leaks if you have not done that yet.  If you're losing air quickly that could be many things besides the air bags. 

Remove side radiator Grille and wash using a Simple-Green-Pro solution with a little Dawn added.  There are probably many posts here on doing it. 

Check Battery cable ends for corrosion. clean as appropriate. 

If you have an Alladin and the tank levels are wacky you may need to replace sensors, especially black tank.

Finally, if you have not yet had an oil analysis of Engine and Trans, have it done and consider regularly having this done.

• Thanks 1

On 11/18/2020 at 2:57 PM, bobdinsmore said:

(1) Tires: Toyo's are considerably less expensive, have a good reputation, and via my experience have a smoother ride than the Michelins I replaced. Lot of divergent opinions about the entire topic of ties.

Bob Dinsmore 2000 Diplomat

Bob,

I don't want to hijack the thread but find your comment about the Toyo's having a better ride than the Michelins interesting. My front tires are at the 5 year mark and I am trying to decided what to do. I recently researched the popular brands including Toyo and all of them require a higher inflation to carry the same load than Michelin. My top priority is ride on the front and I have apprehension on changing to a brand other than Michelin on the front because of the higher inflation required. The cracking has not been an issue for us because the coach spends most of the time in the garage. When you say the Toyo had a better ride than the Michelins do you know what air pressure you were inflating the front tires to? Where you basing inflation on the front axle weight or just operating at the ubiquitous 100 PSI the dealers always inflate to. According to the Michelin inflation tables we can go as low as 85 PSI on the front and usually use 90 PSI. There is a tremendous difference in ride on our coach between 100 PSI and 90 PSI.  

Edited by Bob Nodine

After 2 sets of cracking Michelins, we swore off Michelin forever.  The last set I had were Coach X that required a few pounds less in the front than the XZA2 that they replaced.  I put on Toyo M144 in 295, and did wonder if the higher inflation on the Toyos would be noticeable.  My steer axle is right at the limit so I need 125# in the steer tires.  When we first did it and took our first ride, my wife commented how much smoother the ride was compared to the Michelins.  We now have had the tires on a little over 2 years and have put over 30,000 miles on them and I can say without a doubt it is a better ride than the Michelins.

Hi Bob,

I inflate the fronts to 105 and the rears to 110 (I don't have a tag) which I obtained from the chart for my axle weights. I don't have individual tire weights. It turns out my weights are just about at max.Because these pressures are much higher than for the Michelins I thought these pressures would be harsh but they provided a softer ride than the Michelins aired to what the chart said. My opinion was based on comparing the ride driving to the tire shop on the old tires versus leaving with the new tires (all aired to 100 as you mentioned) on an Interstate. Also, going over cracks with the Michelins was jarring but not with the Toyo's. I still am pleased with the ride after raising the pressures to 105 and 110.

I hope this helps. It's a totally scientific study based on a totally scientific sample of one applying a totally subjective measurement...   🙂

The OP’s 2001 Sig is before the weight on the front axle increased to near max for 295 tires and the axle...why I referenced 100 psi in the front tires. One solution for those having to run max psi is to go to 315s on the front. Instead of highjacking this thread about using 315s, I’ll start a new one or add to one that’s appropriate.

Once I put 315s on the front of my 04 Dynasty, there was no need for 295s on the rear...hence the 11Rs.

Edited by Ivylog
  • Like 1

Adding to the topic of tires, there's a Continental model HSR2SA, available in 295/80R22.5.  Their book shows max load 7830# @120psi.  The Michelin XZA2 Energy in that size is also rated 7830# @120psi.  Toyo publishes an RV inflation table chart which shows 7575# @120psi.  

Haven't used Continentals, but if the load carrying at lower psi is proportional it appears that Conti also has the same advantage over Toyos.

6 hours ago, Ivylog said:

The OP’s 2001 Sig is before the weight on the front axle increased to near max for 295 tires and the axle...why I referenced 100 psi in the front tires. One solution for those having to run max psi is to go to 315s on the front. Instead of highjacking this thread about using 315s, I’ll start a new one or add to one that’s appropriate.

Once I put 315s on the front of my 04 Dynasty, there was no need for 295s on the rear...hence the 11Rs.

THANK YOU for starting a new thread. 

23 hours ago, bobdinsmore said:

Hi Bob,

I inflate the fronts to 105 and the rears to 110 (I don't have a tag) which I obtained from the chart for my axle weights. I don't have individual tire weights. It turns out my weights are just about at max.Because these pressures are much higher than for the Michelins I thought these pressures would be harsh but they provided a softer ride than the Michelins aired to what the chart said. My opinion was based on comparing the ride driving to the tire shop on the old tires versus leaving with the new tires (all aired to 100 as you mentioned) on an Interstate. Also, going over cracks with the Michelins was jarring but not with the Toyo's. I still am pleased with the ride after raising the pressures to 105 and 110.

I hope this helps. It's a totally scientific study based on a totally scientific sample of one applying a totally subjective measurement...   🙂

Thanks Bob and Bill, sounds like the Toyo's are the way to go.

Mike, Just to add my two-cents worth on tires ,as someone else mentioned in this thread "Lots of varying opinions on this subjec". I many years ago jumped ship from Michelin because of their sidewall cracking an Michlin Rep stating it wasn't tires fault,was ozone. Well apparently other Mfg's figured out the problem and did/does not have cracking. I used to run Michelins on all my vehicles exclusively. Ifeel the Michelins were over priced and over rated for both cars and RV's in my coral...I am currently on my second set of 295X 75X 22.5 Firestone tires on 2004 Diplomat and absolutely love the ride,handling albeit freeway or mountain switchbacks,rain or snow! They are smoother than Michelins and Goodyears quiet,wear great no cracks and each tire took between 2-3 ounces to ballance!! Never did that with a Michelin! They are keepers for me and BTW several hundred dollars less than eithter Mich/Goodyears. Was pleasantly surprised when hit Freeway to find out the quality of these tires,I don't think you'd be dissapointed if you tried them...your credit card/checkbook will love them. I was seriously was looking at Toyo's&Yokahamas which are equally good tires and in my opinion a better choice than Michelins but the shop owner I purchased these from explained to me these are manufactured in same plant as (I think BF Goodrich senior moment!) he claimed the only differances was Goodrich would get more milege because of rubber compound differance...a moot point to me cause I have never since 1983 ever worn-out a RV Tire before they time-out...so he suggested and I accepted "Let's save several hundred dollars and do the Firestones. " And yes even my Wife noticed the differance in ride especially when rough heavily truck routes are traveled. I hope this helps you out in your evaluation,good luck and Happy Trails with

that "Sig"!   

Bruce

2004 40'DiplomatPDQ  

Mike, forgot to add on your question on Surge-Protection, Like the AmericanExpress add...don't leave home with out it! It used to be the consencus that the only way to go was with Progressive,I took Bill D's advice when purchesde my Diplomat and purchased one and it has saved my coach several times over the yr's...cheap insurance and peace of mind!

Bruce

2004Diplomat 40'PDQ 

• Thanks 1