Instrument gages

jfasano88

I have been at a RV repair shop for 2 days and they can’t find why my gages don’t work  
1.  Took my steering and ignition key. Can’t find a replacement ignition switch. Monaco said I need to replace the whole steering column 

2. I have unhooked all neg battery post and that did nothing. 
3.  They took the four pin plug and tested it and I am only getting 10 volts to the dash instrument panel. The tech did not know if this should read 12 volts or 10volts might be too much???

3. Trying to contact medallion but no returned calls (2 days trying) only get voice mail. No return calls. Don’t know why they don’t return calls. 
3. if I take the fuse out 5amp and put it back in and turn the key the gages work for 5 to 10 seconds and turn off. 
does anybody tell me what to do. I don’t know how qualified this tech is. Don’t know what he is doing to try to fix it but it is going on 3 days tomorrow

Big Question: If he cannot fix it do I have to pay any amount for his service!!!!!! Hope not but I need guidance on this. Have a funny feeling I am getting rip off.

john f 2009 Camelot kfq 

please advise thank you for all the info you supplied so far on ingnition problem 

I attached a clearer pdf file detailing the Medallion connections.  Key is to verify on connector G that pin 13 gets battery voltage, pin 11 battery voltage with ignition on, and pin 15 ground.  This will power up your gauges.  If the LCD screen works but the gauges don't then focus on connector H wiring which is the Medallion databus for all the gauges.

A bad ignition switch could very likely not be providing power to connector G pin 11.  That is easy to verify and hopefully your tech has already done that.

Since I never take my coach to a shop, I'll let others comment on the repair cost.  Although it is typical to pay a reasonable diagnostics cost.  It becomes a lot more complicated if the tech is trying to fix a system that they don't know.

M3 ILB system connectors_pinouts (1).pdf

John, I sent you a private message to call me.

You mentioned that you checked a 5 amp fuse and I'm thinking it is the one labeled Batt+ Instrument F-26.  I'm wondering if you also checked the Ign+ Instruments, fuel sndr F31 10 Amp fuse.

John,

May I suggest your forget about existing dash and look into BlueFire LLC - https://bluefire-llc.com/website. This product uses a Deutsch connector in your case it would 9 pin J1939 version and connects by BlueTooth to an iPad or tablets using Android or Windows OS. I use an iPad on our 2000 Diplomat. Using the Deutsch connector you are connected directly to engine ECM and getting accurate readings for what ever gauges you wish to put on your tablet. Software for tablet is free and you can experiment with it before buying connector. Believe connector is $170-$180 depending on OS you are using. 

I ran Silverleaf for several years before finding BlueFire and am very happy with BlueFire. I'll be happy to discuss with anyone that would like to discuss by phone. Just send me a private email with phone and I'll call you. I am not a representative for BlueFire, just a real believer in the product.

On 12/10/2020 at 6:40 PM, Frank McElroy said:

I attached a clearer pdf file detailing the Medallion connections.  Key is to verify on connector G that pin 13 gets battery voltage, pin 11 battery voltage with ignition on, and pin 15 ground.  This will power up your gauges.  If the LCD screen works but the gauges don't then focus on connector H wiring which is the Medallion databus for all the gauges.

A bad ignition switch could very likely not be providing power to connector G pin 11.  That is easy to verify and hopefully your tech has already done that.

Since I never take my coach to a shop, I'll let others comment on the repair cost.  Although it is typical to pay a reasonable diagnostics cost.  It becomes a lot more complicated if the tech is trying to fix a system that they don't know.

M3 ILB system connectors_pinouts (1).pdf 157.48 kB · 5 downloads

• 4 weeks later...

Hi John,

What does this mean?

"1-Took my steering and ignition key. Can’t find a replacement ignition switch. Monaco said I need to replace the whole steering column".

Sounds like you're saying the keys are missing, but later said you can start the rig???

Cheers,

Walter

Edited by wamcneil

I had a similar problem a few years ago and it turned out to be a bad ground connection to the dash. If the voltage is low I would try running a hot wire directly to the dash feed and see if the gauges work. Seems there could be ways to correct low voltage short of replacing the steering colum. Also, you likely could find a used switch if needed. 

Thanks for the information. I went to a RV service in Jacksonville and they told me I needed a Madallion instrument module. I takes 8 weeks to manufacture it for $808. I am waiting for it, should be ready by Jan 25. I am at Camp Blanding for the time. I hope this is my problem. The mechanic did talk to Madallion. Madallion does not answer their phones, I called them and left messages more than 30 times. Finally I pressed their emergency number which was 400. I asked why they won’t answer their phones and I got no response (she wouldn’t tell me) so if anyone needs to contact them use the 400 number and you might get an employee on the phone and tell them you are stranded and see if they will transfer you to a tech or sales. Only way you can talk to them otherwise you are out of luck. 

• Like 1