CM-7 Cablemaster Storage System

I recently found our our stored 2002 Signature with dead houses batteries and a melted 20 amp wall receptacle along with the melted 30 amp dog bone and I also found an unmarked breaker which had tripped. I replaced the all the melted components with new. I have no idea what caused the meltdown. Perhaps a receptacle wiring which was not fully tight?      Without a label, I have no idea what the tripped breaker protects. I reset the breaker and now all batteries continue to be charged.

However then I find; The CM-7, 50 Amp Cable reel system does not work, when I hit the payout, (or "cable-in") switch. I can barely see the motor at the back of this dark cavern so, it looks like it really isn't easily accessible without removing the entire coiler unit. (ugh job) With little, to no knowledge of electricity; I thought I should start at the breaker panel. The CM-7 Manual says the motor should be subject to a separate 20 amp breaker. I found that we have two breaker panels inside a bedroom cabinet and as I previously mentioned, with one having a tripped unmarked breaker. Looking at both panels, I can not find a "Panel Label" which denotes anything related to the CM-7 Cablemaster unit.    Any one know where I should be looking for this designated breaker? Any suggestion as to how best to attack this non working cable reel?                                                                                                                            My Harbor Freight VOM came with an instruction chapter that might just make me dangerous. Suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks Gary,

2002 Sig

IMG_5287.jpg

As far as I know, the reel should be operating on 12V so no 120V breaker would be involved. Our 00 Sig reel has a autoreset 12V breaker at the driver side engine room panel. Don't know if 02 is the same but it could be. It is the second row from left, second from top and goes directly to the motor/switch. I would start by checking for power right there.IMG_1748.thumb.JPG.e9a352d5d6836b50f12312ebe7bdb063.JPG

Breakers can be different animals depending on what it does. The Cable Master system does utilize a 20 amp resettable breaker but not the kind found in the traditional breaker panel in the bedroom. Look in your rear run bay and you should see a resettable 20amp breaker there. If it hasn't reset, you may have melted it as well and it'll need to be replaced. Any auto parts house will have it in stock or you can get it at Amazon if you don't want to go out but don't mine waiting a day or two for it to be delivered. I've attached a picture for your reference. Your mileage may differ but it'll be close if not exact....Dennis

CableMaster1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Gary, your melted plug could be anything from a loose connection in the plug itself or a lightning strike on the storage facility power to a loose connection in your breaker box. Since you obviously need a new plug end you will eliminate the plug issue and if the DC breaker for your cable reel actually went at the same time as a power surge, I would guess a lightning strike on the storage facility. Unfortunately it is difficult to diagnose but I would check out all of the remaining appliances/items in your coach looking for other failures to determine a power surge. Another thing to do is closely examine your AC breaker box looking for signs of something getting hot. While doing this inspection, it is a good time to re-tighten all wire connections in the box, especially the incoming shore power leads. This re-tightening is something that should be done routinely at least once per year anyway to prevent future box/wiring damage and potential fire. Good luck!

-Jamie

Gary,

That burnt lug is the Neutral so the neutral got over-loaded at one point and burned up. Many causes so no ideas.

As others have said the Cablemaster is a 12 VDC system. Therefore you need to look for a 20 amp 12 VDC circuit breaker that could have been damaged also. Mine is located in the RRB (aka rear run bay). Photo attached.

RRB Circuit Breakers-03.JPG

• Thanks 1