replacement Steer Tires

Denny Wagaman

It has been 6 years 4 months since I last purchased Michelins for my 2011 Camelot DFT 43. Time to replace them.  I have not closely followed the conversations regarding tires.  I replace my other six tires in 2016 with Bridgetones and had no problems.  

Has there been any new revelations regarding Tires and problems with Bridgestone and or Michelins?

Thanks,

Denny

I asked the question about Tires.  Please add to the Toyo's to my question about there being any thing new. 

Thank You,

Denny Wagaman2011 Monaco Camelot DFT 43

I sure glad that this came up again, I have 20,000 miles going into year 5 with all Brigestones , no wear what so ever, no cracking always out of the sun. I am heading to Nova Scotia in the spring and then to Tempe Arizona in November.  I know there has been many posts in regards to "when to change the tires on the rig" I am concerned and was going to change out the steering tires to Toyo's, thoughts?  Too soon, being to anxious? I never drive over 65 mph.

Wayne

1999 Signature Caesar 

55 minutes ago, amphi_sc said:

I've been considering Continental HSR2.  Always liked my Michelins but debating on the sidewall cracking issue. However, I usually about wear them out in 6-7 years anyway.  Probably pull the trigger in two months or less.

I just had the Continentals installed in October. So far so good.

1 hour ago, amphi_sc said:

I've been considering Continental HSR2.  Always liked my Michelins but debating on the sidewall cracking issue. However, I usually about wear them out in 6-7 years anyway.  Probably pull the trigger in two months or less.

I posted on Wednesday in regards to steering tires  and tires in general, any recommendations and or link to other postings would be appreciated, I cannot seem to find the posts from a while back, I looked under tires and came up with no information. 

Thank you in advance 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Whatever you do don’t buy Goodyear. When I bought my rig they threw in brand new tires I didn’t know any better. 15,000 miles later two of the rear tires went bad.I replace them with Toyo. 20,000 miles and 2years later the steer tires went bad replace them with Michelin‘s. I noticed a huge difference in handling.

Just put on Continental HSR2’s on steering. Rears get them next.

Kevin. Mentioned in the post this morning that he only able to put 20k miles on the Toyo's and needed to replace, I am going to put Bridgestone back on when the time comes, what are your thoughts on 20 k miles and going on to year 5, they are in external visible great shape?

Thanks 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

2003 Monaco Signature

I replaced all my tires at 7 years 3months. I had replaced the 295/80R/22.5 Goodyear tires with Michelin 315/80R/22.5 in August 2013 and have just replaced those again with Michelin tires . I had my Coach weighed at the Minot FMCA Rally and learned I had been running my front tires at a tire pressure lower than was required for the weight. Even so, after 7 plus years and close to 40,000 miles there was still plenty of tread left on the tires and no sign of side wall cracking. All in all, I am very happy with the Michelins. It was a huge difference in ride and handling switching to the larger Michelins from the Goodyear tires. I might add I had a blowout on I-75 with a Goodyear tire on the front right tire which certainly got my attention.   

DSC05453.JPG

DSC05439.JPG

On 3/7/2021 at 9:00 AM, Rob M cKeown said:

2003 Monaco Signature

I replaced all my tires at 7 years 3months. I had replaced the 295/80R/22.5 Goodyear tires with Michelin 315/80R/22.5 in August 2013 and have just replaced those again with Michelin tires . I had my Coach weighed at the Minot FMCA Rally and learned I had been running my front tires at a tire pressure lower than was required for the weight. Even so, after 7 plus years and close to 40,000 miles there was still plenty of tread left on the tires and no sign of side wall cracking. All in all, I am very happy with the Michelins. It was a huge difference in ride and handling switching to the larger Michelins from the Goodyear tires. I might add I had a blowout on I-75 with a Goodyear tire on the front right tire which certainly got my attention.   

DSC05453.JPG

DSC05439.JPG

Rob,

Did you have Tyron Bands or any other sort of beadlock device installed?

20 hours ago, Rob M cKeown said:

No bead lock or bands were installed

Wow, I'm surprised it stayed on the wheel.

They often fall into the drop center of the wheel and roll off the rim, which can jam up your steering.

Glad you're OK and that you didn't have more damage.

Edited by dl_racing427
Add info

I was traveling at about 62MPH on the inside lane when it happened. Huge bang right under my wife's seat, and headed for the shoulder but was able to bring to a controlled stop. Did about 3k damage to the wheel well and surrounding fiberglass so all in all got off pretty lightly. The service person that came out of Ocala had had another call out the night before (Saturday) on another Motor Home blowout going in the opposite direction. They were heading to a Gators game in Gainesville with about 10 people on board. They ended up in the bush off the highway with some injuries and the Motor Home totaled. Their blowout was also on the front right tire and it was also a Goodyear tire. I was traveling for business about 3 months later and ended up sitting next to a person on the way back to Tampa who was a passenger on that same Motor Home, a far worse experience than I had.