A Different Awning Issue

I read the "Awning Stuck" post and remembered I have the opposite problem.  My awning extends but is very weak retracting.  I can help it by pulling down on the arm wich releives the tension on the roller.  Once it is 1/4 of the way in it continues to roll up on its own.

7 hours ago, Jeff H said:

I read the "Awning Stuck" post and remembered I have the opposite problem.  My awning extends but is very weak retracting.  I can help it by pulling down on the arm wich releives the tension on the roller.  Once it is 1/4 of the way in it continues to roll up on its own.

If u have the Carefree Eclipse awning I have the same issue. According to the parts manual there is no spring just motor driven as far as I can see. Ive heard Monaco installed too small a gage wire from switch to OEM unit. Maybe someone will correct me and help us both with this issue.

Monaco used undersized wiring in a lot of their applications. Don't know if it had to do with the impending bk or not. My macerator pump only had 14 ga wiring. Replaced the run with 10ga (as per specs) and the pump now runs like a scared rabbit. I'd jumper the motor direct from the battery with 10 ga wire and see if it operates correctly. If it does, then you know what you'll have to do.....Dennis

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dennis H said:

Monaco used undersized wiring in a lot of their applications. Don't know if it had to do with the impending bk or not. My macerator pump only had 14 ga wiring. Replaced the run with 10ga (as per specs) and the pump now runs like a scared rabbit. I'd jumper the motor direct from the battery with 10 ga wire and see if it operates correctly. If it does, then you know what you'll have to do.....Dennis

Thanks Dennis

22 hours ago, Gary M said:

If u have the Carefree Eclipse awning I have the same issue. According to the parts manual there is no spring just motor driven as far as I can see. Ive heard Monaco installed too small a gage wire from switch to OEM unit. Maybe someone will correct me and help us both with this issue.

I had the same issue with the 21' patio awning on my 2007 Safari Cheetah.  You are correct the wiring feeding the awning was too small to supply adequate amperage to the awning motor.  In February 2020 I had a run in with a wind gust on a high bridge in SW Louisiana necessitating the replacement of the awning.  The new awning from Carefree has a tensioner spring in the roller tube which causes the awning to retract better. Prior to the new awning I kept the pitch set to the least amount so the awning would retract most of the time.  I don't know if Carefree would sell just the tensioner so you can retrofit your existing roller tube.

5 hours ago, bobbylinn52 said:

I had the same issue with the 21' patio awning on my 2007 Safari Cheetah.  You are correct the wiring feeding the awning was too small to supply adequate amperage to the awning motor.  In February 2020 I had a run in with a wind gust on a high bridge in SW Louisiana necessitating the replacement of the awning.  The new awning from Carefree has a tensioner spring in the roller tube which causes the awning to retract better. Prior to the new awning I kept the pitch set to the least amount so the awning would retract most of the time.  I don't know if Carefree would sell just the tensioner so you can retrofit your existing roller tube.

Good info!!!

This is a new issue, just in the last year.  Does it make sense that the insufficient wire gauge would damage the motor over time weakening it?  I may need to change both the wire and the motor by the sounds of it.

11 hours ago, Jeff H said:

This is a new issue, just in the last year.  Does it make sense that the insufficient wire gauge would damage the motor over time weakening it?  I may need to change both the wire and the motor by the sounds of it.

Very possible!!!

Jeff, I replaced two macerator pumps that failed. Then the light bulb lit. I checked the voltage at the pump and it was not sufficient to run the pumps and they failed. Ran the new 10ga recommended wire and haven't had any issues since, so yes, undersized wire stresses the motor until it fails........Dennis