Hydraulic steering hose

Connect a string to it and pull the hose out leaving the string to pull the new hose in.  Easier said then done, but that's the idea.

If it's a 50ft hose, figure $200 for a new one.

You could call around to see if anyone does in field fixes of lines.  Look for heavy equipment operator repair places.  Possible to cut the old end off and hydraulically swage a new end on.  Look to see if there is enough slack to do so.

Edited by DavidL

This is basically what is delivered to the builder. A drivable chassis. Installing the hydraulic lines is really easy when the center rail is open from the top. I am pretty sure that the hydraulic line is one piece from the back to front for integrity. As far as taking the line to get it fixed. I have looked in the ceilings of my bays and in every bay most everything is zip tied to something or to each other. To get my power steering hose out would require removal of a lot of zip ties. My hope is that you have some play and room so that someone can replace the fitting where it is.

Not to mention the cost. I replaced the two hoses from the hydraulic cooler and the cost was $200. Maybe seventeen feet of hose and 4 fittings.

43_chassissvc_image-13.jpg

Hi there. I had the same problem on my '96 Dynasty.  That fitting is a pressure fit...screw on/pressure of fit...sorry if wrong terms, but a shop should be able to either take it off, cut some of the hose off and put it back on or split in a short section without taking the whole hose out. It might fit your problem.  Just the reinstall of the pressure fitting only worked for a short time for me. 

I ended up pulling off the storage center ceiling panels, loosening the support straps and removing the whole hose. Knowing how it's installed tell me you'll never just pull the old one out.

I replaced mine with a 4 section hose. Front section from pump to front nulkhead, second section down the spine, third section from rear bulkhead to about 18" from the pump, and then the 18" section to pump. All fittings are zero restriction so it all works as one hose. Now I should only have to replace a section exposed to the weather. And that 18" section came in handy when my pump needed rebuilding (found way to do that on this site). That short piece made it much easier! 

Good luck.

What Nosmo said and most truck stops has info on a mobil hydraulic  hose repair service that can come to you and cut and repair hydraulic hoses in the field.

59 minutes ago, walt2137 said:

What Nosmo said and most truck stops has info on a mobil hydraulic  hose repair service that can come to you and cut and repair hydraulic hoses in the field.

Try the Construction {Earth Moving} Hydraulic field repair guys. I had a Hydraulic line made up by a Co. that did that in Casa Grande, Az. for our bedroom slide. 25$ Not like the RV Repair bandits.

That is a reusable fitting. It can be removed, the hose cut off, and reinstalled with hand tools. Watch this to see how it's done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42KuU4vP3VU

Be careful to get all the debris out of the hose after you cut it off, and be aware that the wire braid in the hose LOVES to hurt your hands. USE GLOVES and take care.

I spent four hours yesterday trying to locating the hose .cut a  lot of zip ties removed a lot of insulation. I know where it goes. I’m gonna have to cut the end off of it to get it through everything so I’m gonna try what Harvey said and fix it myself. And if that doesn’t work I’m gonna pull it all out and do what nosemo Suggested install it back in three sections so if this ever comes up again I will only have to remove either the front section or the back section. This would be a good video for dirty jobs I was covered in dirt and grease from head to toe. Thanks for everyone’s help I will let you know the outcome.

If the hose has degraded to the point that it can not be reconnected you might consider trying again past where it exits the engine compartment and making up the lost length with a short hose. Hoses degrade much faster at high temperature and it could be in much better condition outside the hot engine area. 

Such was the case with my A/C suction hose; it was hard and crumbling where it passed near the exhaust manifold and turbo, but almost as good as new past the firewall.  You might check on the cost of the whole length before making the decision. I haven't bought any hydraulic hose lately but I doubt it's gotten any more affordable!

I had our high pressure hose blow out 2 years ago when backing into a site at Disney World. What a huge mess! Disney folks were great about cleaning it up.

Josam's gave me the name of a mobile truck service (can't find the receipt right now) that would come on site and fix/replace it. They didn't pull the old one out due to the hours it would take and they also felt it wasn't worth repairing since it was so old. Took 2 mechanics about 4 hours to string a new hose from the front to the back, 50 feet long. They routed it along the frame and secured it out of the way. I also had them install a multi layer High pressure Kevlar jacketed hose. Hose was $800 by itself.

They did a nice job and would have been the way I would have done it at home where my tools are.