Engine Code readers

Good Day. I am looking to purchase an engine fault code reader. I see many options, and am most interested in ones specifically designed for cummins engines. So far I have found several options and was wondering if anyone had used them. If so, what did you think?

1. Cummins INLINE 6 with Cummins Insite 8.5 Software  for $260

2. NEXIQ® 126015 - NEXIQ Blue-Link™ Mini Software for $108, but this is a 9 pin device so I need a 9 pin to 6 pin adapter, which if I can get will cost around $100 more

3. Cummins INLINE 7 Data Link Adapter Cummins Truck Diagnostic Tool with Cummins Insite 8.5 Software for $455

4. Cummins INLINE 6 Data Link Adapter for $149

5. Cummins Inline Mini Datalink Adapter for $400

Bill, buying the Inline interface, cables and Insite software will not get you completely there.  You also need the Insite software license (basic up to professional version).  Do the prices you quote include the Insite software license?

In my case, for an 08, Inline 5 works just fine and so does the older software version 8.0.  Unless you have the newest engine technologies, software 8.5 or Inline 7 is overkill for a 2001 engine.  You will find many of the older equipment versions for sale on the internet.

Really good point Frank I can pick up a really nice set up of slightly older HW/software for a cheap price and in engine is a 2000 so that would definitely work good for me. Thank you for the feedback

Hey for what its worth, years ago i bought a mac tool unit that i carry with me, i really dont remember if i paid $300 or $500 i had alot going on at the time. Its just a reader in that it can give codes for the engine an transmission . The model is a ET 3420-HD, you can spend more depending on what you want the unit to do...