Black water valve

Guest bobstromain

Guest bobstromain

I have flushed the black water tank, and getting ready to change the dump valve.  Are there any do's  and don'ts I should know about 

Bob St. Romain

04 Windsor 

When reassembling mine i used som plumber grease on the new seals to help keep them in place. Also to some extra room when removing an installing the black water valve i found it helpfull to loosen the gray water valve. One more thing is to raise that side of coach with levelers so as to avoid any drips coming thru💩

When I removed my valves to replace them, the piping from either side collapsed inward.  It had to be spread apart to get the valve to slide in without disturbing the seals.  After several tries, I made a "spreader" from threaded rod and wood to hold it spread apart.  Also, on my 2000 Dynasty, pulling either valve to dump the tank put enough strain on the pipes to cause them to move quite a bit.  Thinking this might one day become a problem, I added braces to the two valve assemblies to keep them firmly in place.

Guest bobstromain

Thanks for all the comments.  It is a very simple job, but I would not say it was easy.  May be a good idea to change both valves while you are in to it.  Spreading the two lines enough to get the new valve in was the difficult part  Thanks again for the support.  Don't know how we would make it with out all the knowledge and experience

and willingness to help in this group

Bob St. Romain

04 Windsor

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 1:00 PM, Chuck B said:

Tilt the coach to the opposite direction which should be the passenger side.  That way anything left in the tank will not flow out when you change the valve.  Chuck B

I tilted the coach to the valve. Switched on the tank cleaner, let it drain for a few minutes and then put a bucket under the opening. Either way just make sure you are aware of the possible splash effects! 

Just now, Rick A said:

I tilted the coach to the valve. Switched on the tank cleaner then let it drain for a few minutes and put a bucket under the opening. Either way just make sure you are aware of the possible splash effects! 
I greased the new valve with vasaline because the instructions recommend this. I also drilled a small hole at the end of the slide on the top so I can squirt vasaline into the slide periodically. I then put a small stainless steel screw in the hole that I drilled. Had the same valve for 6 years.