Smart wheel

Our 2007 Monaco Dynasty Countess 3   Smart wheel stopped working recently.  I have checked the fuse & it is ok.  The light shows green on the module.  I moved the wheel forward & backwards & the functions started working but stopped after moving the wheel back to driving position.  Does anyone have ideas about what the issue might be?  I have researched but the only thing I have found is that it could be the clock spring needs replacing.  I will really appreciate any help because the windshield wipers not working is a terrific problem.

George Dunn

2007 Monaco Dynasty

Countess 3

Check connections to be sure they are intact.  The clock spring would be the next likely possibility.  

If yours is like mine was you can remove the center cover which exposes the wheel nut and a four wire connector.  The other end of the connector is below where the steering column articulates.  You will probably need to remove the cover for the steering column.  Once both connector ends are uncovered you can check for continuity.  When I did this I discovered one of the four wires had no continuity.  That's enough to know clock spring replacement is needed.

The clock spring on most early-mid 2000's Monacos is Douglas Autotech Clock Spring DAC-1900043

Installation guide can be downloaded here.  http://www.douglasautotech.com/departments/service-parts/

I am continuing in my attempt to make repairs on the smart wheel.  As suggested I checked the connections at the bottom of the steering column & all seem okay.   I ordered & receive a new clock spring from Veurinks.  

To install that I removed the steering wheel center cover, unplugged the horn connection, & removed the nut using a 32mm socket.   The next step was to attach a wheel puller using two size 1/4 x 20 that is 3-1/2 “ long bolts in the steering wheel opening.  These bolts are on each side of the steering column rod.  The steering column rod where I removed the nut was where pressure was applied hoping the wheel would release.  That did not happen even as I increased more pressure using an impact driver.  I even used a hammer to hit the center bolt & it still would not release.

I am afraid to continue applying more pressure on the center bolt in fear that the other bolts holding the wheel release could break & ruin the steering wheel.

I have a question.  Is there anything else possibly holding the wheel in place that I need to remove or any other suggestions from experience.  I will appreciate help.

George Dunn

FWIW Dept:

My '02 Dynasty lost smart wheel function and it too was the clock spring. A bit of a task but very doable for a handy person. Be sure to follow the directions and do not release the spring until the directions advise several times. It was an interesting learning process as I had no idea what a clock spring was up until then. 

Ken Wilcox

• 1 year later...