Transmission

New some help, I have seen a similar post before just cannot seem to find it, on my way to put new front tires on and noticed before I left the Tech was not working, alternator charging at 12 volt,turn lights on and needle just jumped bit, stopped at a set of lights, made the turn and the transmission jumped into neutral and the light on the dash came on,pulled over, put it in neutral, sat for couple seconds and put it into gear away I went,sitting at the tire shop,going to check the oil bu I know it is good.leading up to this I had pulled out the house batteries (are pulled tray out) and topped them up with water, just checked the gauge on the RC7 panel and batteries are at 12 volt,prior to unplugging from the garage they were at 13 and change, isolator? I believe there is a connection / two systems run together, tach/transmission

Any help will be appreciated 

Thanks in advance 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Lead/Acid Batteries at 12V are 50% discharged. You are seeing 13 volts when plugged in because they are charging. When the engine is running or you are connected to power you should see 13.6-14.7, and when engine is off, unplugged from power, the batteries should read 12.7 if fully charged.

Thanks Bill/John

Just a little panic yesterday, changing out all the batteries today, cleaning all terminals, new steering tires yesterday, hopefully it resolve's my Tach ,Transmission problem. On the 1999 does the battery charger work as well as the new battery tenders?

Thanks

Wayne

1999 Signature Caesar

Before you spend all the money on new batteries it might be prudent to have the Alternator Checked to see if it is properly working and charging the battery's.

I am not sure about your coach, but in most of the older coaches the Tachometer Signal comes from the Alternator. First sign of a coming alternator failure is the Tachometer starts going erratic.

Battery's that are only showing 12.0 VDC are basically dead to most of the electronics in your coach and your Transmission is going into Limp mode at that voltage to save itself from damage. A new engine control module is several thousand dollars.

Replacing battery's without checking the output of the Alternator to make sure it is functioning properly is like closing the Barn Door after the Horse escaped.

Your correct Dave

As per the manual the alternator /Tach /Transmission all linked together.

Going to do all of the above, all the batteries are 4 years young. I checked out on the chassis batteries at the time, my maintenance on the house batteries should have been betters,  going to go through all the connections ,clean and check, final step check the alternator. 

Appreciate the help

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Your house battery's have no effect on your chassis battery's. Your chassis battery's run all your lights, Transmission/Engine Components and everything else that functions when you turn the key on. Properly maintained battery's will last much longer than four years.

You House battery's are their to power the Inverter when you are not connected to shore power and do not have the Generator running.

Do you run your Generator while traveling?

Not sure about your coach but in most coaches the Generator through the Inverter charges the chassis and house battery's. This will give you a good back up if you do have an alternator failure.

44 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Thanks Bill/John

Just a little panic yesterday, changing out all the batteries today, cleaning all terminals, new steering tires yesterday, hopefully it resolve's my Tach ,Transmission problem. On the 1999 does the battery charger work as well as the new battery tenders?

Thanks

Wayne

1999 Signature Caesar

On my 99

The batteries charge fine.

I have the original system.

I have replaced my Alternator twice.

If I  have a dead cell, even 1 dead cell.

The batteries won't charge.

So the poster Dave from Melborne is correct

Check Alternator , batteries and all conectons just like you are

44 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Cleaning and Checking all Batteries and  connections should be a part of standard maintenance. 

I do ours every 6 months or so.

On the boat 

Every 90 days.

Farm trucks

Annually. 

Whatever works for you and your usage. 

We all have different uss conditions 

John /Dave

As always take the advice posted before you make critical decisions, so in saying that I started at the batteries ,tested ,cleaned all good at this point, I checked power at the alternator and seem to have nothing,key on/off,master switch on. So one of my clients is who service the coach is going to do a house call, they have a fleet of trucks and have experience in the industry, I know that wiring diagrams have been posted in the past but I cannot seem to find one for 1999 signature, I would like to have a copy when Mike shows up on Monday.

John would not happen to have a pdf copy ?

Thanks for all the help

Wayne 

1999 Signature Ceasar

58 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

John /Dave

As always take the advice posted before you make critical decisions, so in saying that I started at the batteries ,tested ,cleaned all good at this point, I checked power at the alternator and seem to have nothing,key on/off,master switch on. So one of my clients is who service the coach is going to do a house call, they have a fleet of trucks and have experience in the industry, I know that wiring diagrams have been posted in the past but I cannot seem to find one for 1999 signature, I would like to have a copy when Mike shows up on Monday.

Thanks for all the help

Wayne 

1999 Signature Ceasar

I have the complete set of manuals.

We will be at the coach Sunday evening and I will post what I have for you.

Like I posted above.

I have replaced the Alternator twice in 10 years.

It's very easy and quick  to diagnose if they are functioning properly. 

I had the original rebuilt in Columbus for $300. And always carry a spare Alternator

Always something to work on, I was reading somewhere when you own a coach you need no other hobbies,  rains it pours, went to fire up the aqua hot and it cycles and getting Fuel but no ignition,  fuse in the front drivers side and took the cover off the unit and ignition fuse is okay there as well. Batteries are good, shore power into the garage.

???

Thanks

Wayne 

1999 Monaco signature Caesar 

45 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Always something to work on, I was reading somewhere when you own a coach you need no other hobbies,  rains it pours, went to fire up the aqua hot and it cycles and getting Fuel but no ignition,  fuse in the front drivers side and took the cover off the unit and ignition fuse is okay there as well. Batteries are good, shore power into the garage.

???

Thanks

Wayne 

Yes

I carry an extra rebuilt Burner unit and a silver box.

I'd start by changing your nozzel 

There are several you tube videos on servicing the burner unit.

1 hour ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

???

Thanks

Wayne 

I had to replace ignition coil a couple of days ago for the same issue, while still on our current trip.  But, there is a number of tests you should perform per service manual before spending the money, not a cheap part... one of the deciding ones is checking for power between C8 and C5 at the expected cycle time. 

• Like 1

Not sure how the AH relates to the subject of "Transmission", but I'd check the temp cut off that screws into the tank.  There should be one for the diesel burner and one for the electric element(s).  If the diesel one has failed, the AH will go through the pre-ignition cycle but not ignite (I think because it prevents the fuel solenoid from opening) (do you hear the ignition clicking/sparking at the right point in the cycle?) thus the no flame will cause the unit to proceed through the cool down cycle and subsequently turn off.

Sorry

It was just an ongoing conversation with John, should have started a new post, sorry for the confusion,  starting to do some tests now,thank you for the information much appreciated. 

Wayne

1999 Monaco Signature Caesar 

Ivan /John/Al

14 volts at C5 (-)(Brown) and C8 positive (yellow), took the burner out and surprise! The fuel solenoid valve coil ,the electrical terminals were broken away from the plastic or whatever material that is connected to the solenoid, when we fired it up before we took the burner out it did blow the fuse for the ignition again , so hopefully with a new electrical terminal base ( probably not sold separate) we solved the mystery. 

Hopefully good news if and when the parts come in.

Tomorrow Alternator check!

Thanks everyone 

Wayne 

1999 Monaco Signature Caesar 

On 4/23/2021 at 8:38 AM, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Thanks Bill/John

Thanks

Wayne

1999 Signature Caesar

20210425_181110.thumb.jpg.f03003660f3083de060791385dbadb52.jpg

On 4/24/2021 at 9:19 AM, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

John /Dave

Thanks for all the help

Wayne 

1999 Signature Ceasar

This is what I have. 

So far

The back of the Alternator had the terminals marked , as I recall

20210425_181208.jpg

20210425_181201.jpg

20210425_190418.jpg

20210425_190401.jpg

20210425_190333.jpg

20210425_190328.jpg

20210425_190319.jpg

A few more

More

20210425_183637.jpg

20210425_183355.jpg

20210425_183348.jpg

20210425_183336.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2021 at 7:33 PM, John Haggard said:

Good luck 👍

John,new alternator came with both small posts labeled Duvac,old alternator had duvac on one side and ignition on the other? We called Wilson tech support and they said one side was for ignition and the other duvac, have you run into this before?

Thanks Wayne 

23 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

John,new alternator came with both small posts labeled Duvac,old alternator had duvac on one side and ignition on the other? We called Wilson tech support and they said one side was for ignition and the other duvac, have you run into this before?

Thanks Wayne 

Hi Wayne 

No, not on mine.

I replaced mine with an original LN.

And wired the same. 

There are several on here that have talked about updating the  Alternator ???

What does work now ? If anything ??

Do you have power to your Ignition Switch ? 

On your original wiring harness. 

Do you have two or 3 small wires ??? 

Have you tried the small wires hooked up both ways .

I'm not an expert on Alternator s 🤔

I will study for more information