2003 Monaco wont start

Headed down south to Florida stopped by rest area #14 Pine Hurst, GA got back in MH try to start and wont turn over? Does anyone have any suggestions here are my steps leading up to this. Shut off engine wife asked to use microwave so started generator up no problems got back after a quick walk around coach shut down generator attempted to start MH and NOTHING dc multimeter was showing OL on display and quickly changed to 13.1 volts, so I am assuming not enough cranking power to turn engine over. I would appreciate any suggestions where to start. I have called Good Sam roadside for a jump start maybe this may help. 

* Note when I started up generator I forgot to switch breaker on onan 7.5 generator but microwave was still operable? Thought this would not have worked anyhow it did and I believe chassis battery may have been drained. 

What I have checked:

-battery maintainer does click and shows green active light

-had wife turn key while I was out back to listen for clicking sound from solenoid and it did

-Blue Fire does not return any fault codes

Thank you in advance 

5 minutes ago, William said:

Headed down south to Florida stopped by rest area #14 Pine Hurst, GA got back in MH try to start and wont turn over? Does anyone have any suggestions here are my steps leading up to this. Shut off engine wife asked to use microwave so started generator up no problems got back after a quick walk around coach shut down generator attempted to start MH and NOTHING dc multimeter was showing OL on display and quickly changed to 13.1 volts, so I am assuming not enough cranking power to turn engine over. I would appreciate any suggestions where to start. I have called Good Sam roadside for a jump start maybe this may help. 

* Note when I started up generator I forgot to switch breaker on onan 7.5 generator but microwave was still operable? Thought this would not have worked anyhow it did and I believe chassis battery may have been drained. 

What I have checked:

-battery maintainer does click and shows green active light

-had wife turn key while I was out back to listen for clicking sound from solenoid and it did

-Blue Fire does not return any fault codes

Thank you in advance 

Try the battery boost switch on the left console to tie both battery banks together. Sounds like you ran the batteries down. If that doesn’t work start generator so it will power inverter/battery charger

Kenneth, 

Thanks for quick response I tried battery boost toggle switch and motor will not even turn. I do have generator on right now hoping this will restore battery charge I have Duracell 8d manual shows I need 1500 cca ISL engine. 

Does the starter relay clunk when the switch is turned to start?  If not I would get under there with a screwdriver and short the positive terminal to the starter with the ignition turned to the ON position.  If it starts, don't turn it off till you reach your destination.

I've had to do that with the last two coaches.

Steve, 

cleaned and tighten up and nothing. 

6 minutes ago, Hypoxia said:

Does the starter relay clunk when the switch is turned to start?  If not I would get under there with a screwdriver and short the positive terminal to the starter with the ignition turned to the ON position.  If it starts, don't turn it off till you reach your destination.

I've had to do that with the last two coaches.

Jim, 

Yeah I do hear that clunk you talk about had my wife turn key while back in engine compartment. 

Steve,

Got it, fired back up... Wont turn engine off still need another 500 miles to get home so going to be a long one. 

Thanks everyone truly world class!

P.S. Still waiting for Good Sam to call that was 2 hours ago...just saying 

Once again thanks guys..

• Like 1

Had this happen and it cost me $108.00 to get it fixed. There is a 3/4" nut on the starter (main Batt Lead). Tighten it. For some reason it seems to loosen up. According to the mechanic the cummings engine is bullet proof, except for this quirk. I carry a 3/4" open end wrench in my center console, just for this purpose. Used it  number of time. Every time I pass this on I figure my $108.00 is well spent, consequently the cost goes down. I figure the cost is some where around $20.. by now.

John

97 Dynasty 40' 2006 Jeep Cherokee 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, William said:

Steve,

Got it, fired back up... Wont turn engine off still need another 500 miles to get home so going to be a long one. 

Thanks everyone truly world class!

P.S. Still waiting for Good Sam to call that was 2 hours ago...just saying 

Once again thanks guys..

What did you do to get it fired up ?

You will help someone 🙂

Guest Ray Davis

2 hours ago, John Haggard said:

What did you do to get it fired up ?

Maybe he'll get back to us,   but right now I bet he is on the hiway.

I didn't see it mentioned above, but his Windsor has a rear start switch that can get bumped and will run a person insane until they figure out what they did.

Also occasionally when a coach won't start it will start from the back.

Morning guys,

my appologies for late reply got it late last night but made it anyhow I tapped the starter and fired back up, so will be ordering new starter. 

Thanks to everyone for immediate responces greatly appreciated.  

Kind regards, 

1621248086935_20210516_213255.jpg

5 hours ago, Ivylog said:

Seriously look into replacing with a Denso gear drive starter...less than $200 and spins a engine faster than the Delco you probably have.

Dick,

Thanks for advise I will start my research I will definitely start to look into this as soon as possible shouldn't be that difficult of a project I hope.