Slide seal replacement help

Hey all.  I am in need of replacing my bedroom slide seals and will be replacing the slide topper at the same time.  I have the topper from Talin RV and need to purchase the slide seals.  My wiper seems to not touch the top of the slide currently. I will be ordering guardian plates to install too.  I know Steele Rubber is a good source for the seals.  My questions: how daunting of a task is this?  Is there anything special I need to measure or pay attention to?  Are the wiper widths a one size fits all or are they in different lengths?  Is there a good step by step source, video for this?  Thank you, Steven 

20191201_162755.jpg

20191201_102215.jpg

20191201_162659.jpg

4 hours ago, veraken said:

Go to the Steele Rubber website  https://rv.steelerubber.com/  At the bottom of the page there is a link to some of their video which may help your.

Thank you.  The videos are thorough and definitely helpful. 

I took some measurements today of my bedroom slide seals and that lead to another question.  Currently,  when my slide is out, the wiper does not touch the top of the slide.  My wiper measures measures 1 and 1/2" from where it pushes on and the one in the Steele catalog shows the same measurements.  This is fine for the sides.  Could mine have "dropped down" or could there be another reason for the gap?  

15830896409262998165436606084189.jpg

20200301_101516.jpg

20191201_162755.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, MSHappyCampers said:

I had the problem with the top seal on my bedroom slide.  This is what I do to fix it!  

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/slideout-seal-repair-369830.html

Thank you.  I contacted Steele Rubber and AP products and told them my issue.  Both sent samples of what they have at no charge.  AP has one that is about an inch longer than Steele.  I plan to go see how they fit fairly soon and will keep the group updated.  The AP sample seems less rigid than the Steele one.

• 3 weeks later...

I pulled all the old seals off this week and plan to order the new seals but this led to a new question.  My old wiper seal was original and not touching the top of the slide.  Can the bedroom slide be adjusted up?  How do I know if mine has "dropped?"  If I order the longer wiper seal, it will do the job on top and be overkill on the sides and I could trim the sides if needed. The pics below are samples from AP products and Steele Rubber. 

20200401_162246.jpg

20200401_192336.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2020 at 5:51 AM, Steven P said:

I pulled all the old seals off this week and plan to order the new seals but this led to a new question.  My old wiper seal was original and not touching the top of the slide.  Can the bedroom slide be adjusted up?  How do I know if mine has "dropped?"  If I order the longer wiper seal, it will do the job on top and be overkill on the sides and I could trim the sides if needed. The pics below are samples from AP products and Steele Rubber. 

20200401_162246.jpg

20200401_192336.jpg

Here is a pic of my bedroom slide. Yours looks like someone added to the ribbed seal for some reason. I think my slide needs adjustment up on opposite corner from this pic as seal is barely touching.

0FBC768B-246A-4107-8B37-2C2B37AD5118.jpeg

• Like 1

Gary, do you have eternabond tape at the top of your slide? It is hard to see if so. 

13 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Gary, do you have eternabond tape at the top of your slide? It is hard to see if so. 

I stripped all OEM tape and self leveling caulking from roof last summer and resealed. And I stripped two slides of OEM tape and found a lot of Monaco assembly issues. There were 25 pre drilled holes to put rivets in but once tape was removed there were only 10 rivets.

Yes on the eterna bond. Before and after pics.

8ECACF39-D065-449F-91C5-7B028941F032.jpeg

4B97D1EE-D7DF-49EB-87FC-064F18473472.jpeg

1 minute ago, Steven P said:

Looks nice! 

Roof before and after.

C0427D1B-C6ED-4A46-BE25-426C839F52A8.jpeg

D981B5F7-8D4D-426F-8593-A5F3A3C9FBAE.jpeg

441AF8AB-2A58-44CB-8CA4-785483FCA1F3.jpeg

Looks really good.  Is that all dicor along eternabond edges, screw holes, etc..?

Just now, Steven P said:

Looks really good.  Is that all dicor along eternabond edges, screw holes, etc..?

Yes sir!!! Used Pro Flex Clear for beltlines and slide openings. Black for windshield gutter. White for slide bottom edges until I can get the Talin plates installed. Next is all new toppers from Stone Vos and I still have a tentative appointment with Talin in June but with the virus I may have to cancel and pray Im still alive to get them done.

76BEAB6B-3E60-4F79-9469-316FD581F2E3.jpeg

A92B097A-9D5A-4E43-8810-8FD6308CF99C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Just an update.  I have applied dicor and eternabond tape but didn't take pics yet.  Now just need to put on the rubber strip and the wiper blades, then nee topper. 

20200411_111332.jpg

2 hours ago, Steven P said:

Just an update.  I have applied dicor and eternabond tape but didn't take pics yet.  Now just need to put on the rubber strip and the wiper blades, then nee topper. 

20200411_111332.jpg

Look’n good there Steven!!!

• Thanks 1

Applied the rubber bumper like it was when stock. About to apply the wiper blade seal.  I'm going with the wider one up top and the narrow ones on the side.  I rough fit yesterday, is there a tool or trick to getting your hands in there to push on the seals?  Obviously the slide cannot be all the way out. 

20200415_105918.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.  I had to use 2 different length double bulb wipers. One from Steele Rubber and one from AP Products. The one from AP is clearly a softer rubber, but I believe this will work.  I used Loctite 495 to join the corners together and all that's left is to put the new topper from Talin RV on. I also replaced the ribbed seals and used black proflex rv caulk along the edges. 

20200425_145907.jpg

5 hours ago, Steven P said:

Just an update.  I had to use 2 different length double bulb wipers. One from Steele Rubber and one from AP Products. The one from AP is clearly a softer rubber, but I believe this will work.  I used Loctite 495 to join the corners together and all that's left is to put the new topper from Talin RV on. I also replaced the ribbed seals and used black proflex rv caulk along the edges. 

20200425_145907.jpg

Steve, what is the white strip that seems to be holding the seal up off the roof?

5 hours ago, MSHappyCampers said:

Steve, what is the white strip that seems to be holding the seal up off the roof?

Joe, that is the strip of eternabond tape. 

Put the new slide topper on and now it's all ready to go somewhere. 

20200426_135712.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazing how each coach has different seals. Mine are single bulb seals.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/16/2020 at 5:34 AM, Steven P said:

Applied the rubber bumper like it was when stock. About to apply the wiper blade seal.  I'm going with the wider one up top and the narrow ones on the side.  I rough fit yesterday, is there a tool or trick to getting your hands in there to push on the seals?  Obviously the slide cannot be all the way out. 

20200415_105918.jpg

This is a perfect picture for my question. All edges are raised, except the wipe seal.

How does the water get out??

It does and it doesn’t. Technically the wiper should push the water to the farthest edge to and up to the highest point. Technically that is.