Slow moving slide

Go to solution Solved by David Pratt,

This morning getting ready to venture out my driver side front slide would not retract in.  The hydraulic pump has good tone and the other three slides worked perfectly fine.  Finally while depressing the switch for about 15 seconds the slide retracted in.  I also notice a delay extending the slide the other day. Perhaps a hydraulic leak somewhere or something else? 

So electro hydraulic solinoids can fail in many ways, first i would test to ensure you have a solid power an ground at the solinoid that controls hydraulics to the rams. Especially if this has been getting more an more slugish

Hydrolics are not to difficult, first i would suggest checking the fluid level, you said the pump sounded like it has a good tone, is that before the slide moves or as it is moving. When it starts to move is the slide movement jittery or smooth? On my stabilizers there are quick disconnect plugs for the solinoid pack, when i was installing my FASS fuel system i saw where the connector had green corrosion coming from it so i cleaned it all up an now the whole system is a lot more responsive where as there were times i would have to switch it on an off a couple times before it would respond to commands. After cleaning the terminils i used dielectric on all the terminils

The tone was good before and while the slide finally moved. It moved smoothly.  The end of season last year I changed and replaced the hydraulic filter and fluid, inside the rear aluminum tank engine compartment? 
Is that where the slides draw fluid from or just from the hydraulic pump and tank in generator slide out in front of the Coach?

Ok so your pump is running... (hopefully the tank is full of oil) the next thing is the pressure regulator is off its seat, either dirt between the seat an ball or damaged spring. Your going to need to disassemble the regulator an check it for ??? Dirt, damage if its ok i would swap a known good operating solinoid with the one thats not working. I would connect a high pressure gauge to one of the hoses an check the pressures 1st just to ensure you dont have a issue with the slide. Your going to have to connect to a slide that is working to know what your operating pressure is supposed to be. 

• Solution

Darren,

The Hydraulic motor and Hydraulic Reservoir Tank  and Solenoids are one unit and in your coach will be located under the Entry Step. To access the pump and reservoir assembly you have to lift the step cover and remove the cover/storage in the step.

There is a fill cap on the reservoir. Check the fluid level with all the slides in. If you are having and issue with only one slide then more than likely one of the solenoids has failed or is failing. There is no pressure regulator in the HWH system, all slide-outs are controlled by the solenoids, there is a high pressure switch that locks the slide out in with hydraulic pressure.

The solenoids are easy to change, it is just difficult because of the location of the hydraulic pump assembly.

Your HWH Operating Manual has a trouble shooting section and also shows you how to replace the solenoids. If you do not have a Manual you can download one off the Internet or we may have the Manual in our files.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Update on my slide situation.  After a long wait to get the Coach serviced and waiting for the part David you were 100% correct Hydraulic Reservoir located underneath entry step.  The Solenoid for the driver side front slide was replaced and everything back working.  
Thank you all for responding to my question on June 9th.
The part number# RAP42632 I intend on buying a few to keep on hand and if necessary will replace them myself in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly I spoke to soon the slide out will not retract back in normally.  They put this solenoid on the slide extended no problem but again took me several attempts holding the switch to get it back in. Could someone give me direction what to check next 

A19F23B3-D4B7-4606-B2D6-83D751825ECA.jpeg

8016054F-23BB-4995-9250-C120EE416983.jpeg

9C75AC59-8095-47C4-BADE-81FD1B2CC821.jpeg

The other solenoid is failing and will need to be replaced. Sometimes it is best to replace both solenoids for any particular slide when they start acting up like you describe. Replace the solenoid and purchase  a spare to have when another one fails.

• Thanks 1

Thank you David, I asked the service technician whether both should be replaced and of course he said no.  I will be purchasing more solenoid and putting them on myself its appears to be pretty straight forward.  Thank you so much for your input.