VIP Smart Wheel Problem

Dr4Film

Folks,

I have a PC version of the VIP Smart Wheel and my problem started this past year when the cruise button became intermittent when attempting to turn it on. After some pushing on the button the cruise light on the dash would finally light up. Today, I could not get it to activate even after many attempts of pushing the button on my Smart Wheel.

Trouble shooting states that I should check the connectors and clean them before going any further. However, I have no idea how to remove the cover as the instructions are kinda of ambiguous.

Is there any one that has removed the cover and did this same maintenance on the connectors who could give me some guidance and advice how to get into this?

Thanks so much!

Richard. Access the bottom of the wheel and remove the two screws. They are phillips. The wheel is actually in three parts. The center is fixed and the two sides come off separately. Simply remove the covers to access the electronics. They're simply boards with plugs. Clean the connections with electrical spray. (Available at Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowes etc.) and reassemble. Most of 1/2 hour to complete the task. Pretty easy...good luck....Dennis

5 hours ago, Executive45 said:

Richard. Access the bottom of the wheel and remove the two screws. They are phillips. The wheel is actually in three parts. The center is fixed and the two sides come off separately. Simply remove the covers to access the electronics. They're simply boards with plugs. Clean the connections with electrical spray. (Available at Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowes etc.) and reassemble. Most of 1/2 hour to complete the task. Pretty easy...good luck....Dennis

Thanks Sam! Those instructions are VERY different than what VIP stated in their manual for this model. And the reason I was getting extremely frustrated so finally decided to ask for help.

I appreciate the quick response.

I had the same problem. The Smart Wheel troubleshooting instructions said to unplug the electrical connector at the Smart Wheel controller to check voltage at some of the wires. When I pulled the connector loose I found one wire came out (was not crimped to terminal end properly). Re-crimping that wire/terminal fixed the problem.

So my first suggestion is that you give each wire   a little tug at the connectors to check for bad/loose crimps.

2 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Thanks Sam! Those instructions are VERY different than what VIP stated in their manual for this model. And the reason I was getting extremely frustrated so finally decided to ask for help.

I appreciate the quick response.

Sam, I removed those two Phillips screws and nothing appears to be loose enough to remove. What should I expect to remove after those two screws are out?

I guess I will call VIP Technical Support today to see what they have to say.

What version VIP Smart Wheel do you have?

1 hour ago, CountryB said:

I had the same problem. The Smart Wheel troubleshooting instructions said to unplug the electrical connector at the Smart Wheel controller to check voltage at some of the wires. When I pulled the connector loose I found one wire came out (was not crimped to terminal end properly). Re-crimping that wire/terminal fixed the problem.

So my first suggestion is that you give each wire   a little tug at the connectors to check for bad/loose crimps.

Mike,

I am hoping that I don't have to get at the controller which is behind the dash because once I start messing with that VERY brittle plastic dash it will self-destruct requiring a brand new one which is no longer easily available.

Richard,

I had a problem with my VIP smart wheel, it happen after I was working under the dash and ultimately found one the wires on a harness had come loose.  There must have been a problem before that because someone tried to fix the pin connector.  I ultimately soldered it, tight quarters so I had to use a battery operated soldering tool,  haven't had another problem.

Not sure if this will help but the steering column is manufactured by Douglas Autotech, here is a link to access the service parts page

http://www.douglasautotech.com/departments/service-parts/

The file you want is 1900043, type this into the search box and click "Get File" and it will download it in PDF form.  It explains how to replace the clock spring.

The clock spring can be purchased from RV Chassis Part  https://www.rvchassisparts.com:8443/aparvchassis/runApp?id=5

I believe the connector for the Clock Spring is actually mounted part way down the steering column and can be accessed by removing the plastic shroud that covers the bottom portion of the column.

The VIP controller on my coach can be access by removing the small dash panel where the radio is located.  You can remove it and be able to reach in and disconnect and reconnect the different wiring harnesses that connect to the controller.   Haven't looked at the wiring schematic for the cruise control but I did help MSHappyCamper try to fix his headlight problem.  He ultimately had to replace the controller, which he bought from VIP.  I have a copy of the chassis wiring harness that shows the wiring, let me know if you need it, I believe it is in the files.

Jim J

Edited by jacwjames

I spoke with VIP Technical Support this morning  and they instructed me as to how to remove the large black cover that sits above the air horn bar. There is a 5mm hex head bolt that sits at a 45 degree angle that needs to be loosened which allows the black cover to be removed. That exposes the steering wheel nut and the 4 wire connector for the VIP Smart Wheel. I removed the connector and sprayed both ends with CRC Contact Cleaner but no joy!

The VIP Technical Support tech stated that if that doesn't solve the problem than most likely I need a new clock-spring. However, how do you know what clock-spring to order BEFORE taking it all apart? Anybody have any ideas?

Or do I have to disassemble it to see what the model number is on the existing clock-spring?

That won't happen for sometime as I am dropping the coach off Wednesday to a shop in Orlando to have a new exhaust manifold installed plus routine engine service.

Edited by Dr4Film

Here is the parts page for my 2002 Windsor steering column,  it shows the Clock Spring Kit as the 1900043 that I referenced in my previous post.  The link that I provided to RVchassisparts I believe it the correct clock spring.   Here is another source that does say it is compatible with a 2002 Monaco Windsor

https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/clock-spring-kit-motorhome-monaco-16616943-1900043-p/190063.htm

Also, before I replaced the clock spring I would try disconnecting and connecting the wiring harnesses attached to the VIP module, I know I've read that there have been instances where this solved a problem.

1 Steering Colunm Assembly.pdf

Edited by jacwjames

23 hours ago, jacwjames said:

Here is the parts page for my 2002 Windsor steering column,  it shows the Clock Spring Kit as the 1900043 that I referenced in my previous post.  The link that I provided to RVchassisparts I believe it the correct clock spring.   Here is another source that does say it is compatible with a 2002 Monaco Windsor

https://shop.findmyrvparts.com/clock-spring-kit-motorhome-monaco-16616943-1900043-p/190063.htm

Also, before I replaced the clock spring I would try disconnecting and connecting the wiring harnesses attached to the VIP module, I know I've read that there have been instances where this solved a problem.

1 Steering Colunm Assembly.pdf 151.2 kB · 4 downloads

Jim,

After reviewing the Monaco 2002 Windsor Parts List for the steering column and your link, I contacted Veurinks RV Parts and they verified that their Part # 190063 is the correct Clock-Spring Kit #1900043 specified for my 2002 Monaco Windsor.

Thanks for your help!

Richard,

No problem,

Were you able to download the manual from the Douglas Autotech site, it shows how to replace the clock spring. 

FWIW, the parts page I provided is one of ~100 pages for my coach I was able to download from the Monaco site back in 2010 when there was an open portal into their site.  I downloaded the pages that I thought would provide the most info, there were more but eventually they reestablished security into the site.  Most of the ones I downloaded have provided good reference for parts.  Most of the part numbers are still valid or at least provide enough info to source an alternative part. 

• 6 months later...

Following up on my VIP SmartWheel problem with the inoperable cruise button function.

Today I decided to tackle this problem.

I first removed the steering wheel to get at the Clock-Spring. I disassembled the Clock-Spring and found that it is simply a four wire ribbon cable wound up about a dozen times. I checked continuity on the each end of the connectors and determined that the integrity of the Clock-Spring is fine so I reassembled it and reinstalled it to the column. I next checked the cruise button itself using my DVOM and determined that the button works fine. So, all that is left is to check the VIP Master Control Box. I will have to tackle that job once I get back to Florida for the winter as I have to get into the dash to even find the damn thing and most likely my dash will disintegrate when I do. That means this project will turn into a much bigger one than I wanted especially if I have to replace that section of the dash.

Richard,

My VIP controller is behind the radio.  I can access it by taking out the small panel that has the AC controls.  You can reach if from there. 

My VIP controller quit and it happened after I changed out the Cobra CB box.  Went back in and found that one wire was pulled out of a pin connector in the wiring harness.    It was obvious that it had been pulled out before, someone tried to crimp it back but didn't work.  I finally bought a small battery powered soldering tool and fixed it in place.  been working ever since.

You might try just unplugging and plugging back in the connectors first, I've read several times where this solved the problem.

You might also take the covers off the VIP module and check the solder connections.   I was recently following the thread about making headlights brighter and found the VIP module headlight pin had a bad solder joint and had melted the pin.   

I installed the relay and soldered the wire directly to the board.

My 05’ Dynasty only needed a relay for low beams, it already had relays for left and right high beams.

Does anyone know why this VIP module is copyright intellitec, just like all the Monaco fuse/relay boards?

Granville Barker

00CF5316-A1AB-4DCF-A5AA-704C47B2C769.jpeg

2E93A28D-5CA8-447D-9013-440D3D1AF577.jpeg

F99693A2-4511-4BC0-B6ED-E3606665A972.jpeg

B3F35A52-79EE-4ACA-B987-779FBDC0BA6C.jpeg