stop engine light

Arizona heat and long steep grade caused an overheat condition. Got heat warning then eventually stop engine. Stopped on side of Hwy. let things cool a bit. Had 9 miles of mostly downgrade to a safe spot to park, ended up in limp mode and hot. Got up this morning, checked all fluids and appear to normal. Started the coach and all looked good for a minute or two started to feel better but then "stop engine" light on again. Waiting now for a tow to Cummins shop an hour away (that's where I was trying to get to. What do you all think my issues may be?

Thanks

Drew S

06 Dip PAQ

Since you are on the way to Cummins, no sense to guess at what might be the issue.

they will put a scan tool on it and determine why the motor is in limp mode.  That will then point to the subsystem that is affected.

Hopefully you didn't run the motor while it was overheated...that will be the difference between a medium and a really expensive day.  The good news is it didn't burp out all of the antifreeze which would indicate it wasn't driven too long while over hot.  Is the fan spinning?

Edited by DavidL

Oh yeah I was shifting to keep close to 2000 rpms to help with cooling. Warning light was intermittent as I was running right close to hi temp around 210degF. The long upgrade and 116 ambient did me in. Hoped to clear the grade before I got too hot...didn't make it and got stop engine light. After about an hour cooling down on the side of the hwy. continued to a safe spot about 9 miles downgrade. Got here but stop engine was on again. 

2 minutes ago, RVSSNAKE said:

Not claiming to be a tech here but you might have them check the cleanliness of the radiator if yours has the rear rad like our 2000 Dip. 

Washing the rad and maybe drain & flush was what we heading to do when this whole mess started. Sucks when you are not close to anything. Wikieup,Az

Update on my overheat issue. Got radiator externally cleaned.  new anti-freeze & radiator cap 16#. No other apparent damage. All good news, ready for final shakedown run be fore hitting the road when saw bubbling around the reservoir tank neck. Looks like I need a replacement reservoir.. Couldn't get parts list to open. What is the best replacement tank? 2005 Dep w/cummins

thanks Drew S

43 minutes ago, drewat2 said:

Update on my overheat issue. Got radiator externally cleaned.  new anti-freeze & radiator cap 16#. No other apparent damage. All good news, ready for final shakedown run be fore hitting the road when saw bubbling around the reservoir tank neck. Looks like I need a replacement reservoir.. Couldn't get parts list to open. What is the best replacement tank? 2005 Dep w/cummins

thanks Drew S

Source engineering 

An Aluminum replacement 

• 1 month later...

End of this story. J-B Weld made the surge tank leak manageable, this allowed us to get North out of the stupid hot temperatures. Once we get back home in Eastern Wa. purchased a new steel surge tank and low level sensor. Had Cummins coach care near me install the new tank/sensor, drain, flush & fill the radiator along with our annual maintenance on engine & generator. Doesn't look like I did damage according to Cummins. Engine temp. now hangs right at 175deg F. 

A happy ending (except for the wallet). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, drewat2 said:

End of this story. J-B Weld made the surge tank leak manageable, this allowed us to get North out of the stupid hot temperatures. Once we get back home in Eastern Wa. purchased a new steel surge tank and low level sensor. Had Cummins coach care near me install the new tank/sensor, drain, flush & fill the radiator along with our annual maintenance on engine & generator. Doesn't look like I did damage according to Cummins. Engine temp. now hangs right at 175deg F. 

A happy ending (except for the wallet). 

Fantastic