Temp sensor on new batteries

jacwjames

So my inverter started to act a little strange showing fluctuating state of charge on the house batteries. 

Previously when I had tested how long I might expect the batteries to last with the New Samsung installed it looked like ~8 hours.   I am now on a trip doing some overnighting without hookups and last night it was cool enough not to run the generator but the inverter kicked off in less then 5 hours, not sure when but when I got up to check it had already kicked off. 

Also, after driving all day the inverter display only showed 73% charged and I know my alternator was putting out +14 volts. 

So I did some checking today and sure enough, one of my batteries was not holding a charge.  But luckily I decided to stop at a Sam's club and they had 4 batteries in stock and installed them for me. 

I had to pry the temperature sensor off the side of one battery.  For now I have it laying off to the side.  I know there's been discussion on using the temp sensor and not using it.  What is the current thought on this and if I decide not to use it do I need to do anything to the Xantrex/Trace RV2012 inverter. 

I haven’t heard of a temp sensor on batteries be charged by an alternator that has a voltage regulator, but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong. I have however used one on my solar charge controller on a previous coach. 

I've run the inverter both with and without a temp sensor.  If you have it already there, just push it in-between two batteries or tape it to the side.  

If you decide to update your inverter to a Magnum your batteries will last a little longer.  

16 minutes ago, tmw188 said:

I haven’t heard of a temp sensor on batteries be charged by an alternator that has a voltage regulator, but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong. I have however used one on my solar charge controller on a previous coach. 

The Temp Sensor is for the inverter, which uses the reading to regulate state of charge.