Taking a long trip, what parts to bring along

I like the spare air bag idea, does anyone have the part number/fitting sizes for the firestone air bag,I looked in my spec sheet and no luck,other than climbing underneath which I am not a fan of even with all the air out .

Thanks in advance 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Ride height adjusters can leak air pretty bad They have o-rings in them. I have had a leaker.   I have been lucky and my audible air leaks have been before I leave and have had time to repair. I would add an assortment of air line fittings, sealant for pipe threads,  and a length of DOT air line.  Any time I replace a fitting I just buy two of the type I replace.  They are pretty cheap.   I suddenly had a serious leak at my dash air gauge. It was just a swivel fitting that let go quickly. 

Just pack what you think you need and go.   I used to take way too many tools and extra parts, but they were never the ones we needed.  I have a small toolset now, (still probably more than I need) and someone has a key to my shop and can ship me more tools if I needed.

Now if I were driving to Alaska again, I’d probably have everything everyone has mentioned in the thread plus a sat phone with internet access to you guys!

—-

Granville Barker

05 Dynasty

• Like 1

Guest Ray Davis

Something I feel worth mentioning is fuel and water.   I may be preaching mostly to the choir but maybe not.  Our former leader Bill D ( RIP ) often prodded us to fill up when the level reaches 1/2 tank and to have plenty water on board.  If you should become disabled and waiting on assistance it is apt to be a long wait.   You can count on it being either hot or cold outside so you'll want to be comfortable inside.  Fuel for the gen perhaps for many hours and water for its essential uses will help keep the boss happy.

Granville above is right, you can't possibly take everything plus most things are available near by.  I carry belts,  filters,  some elect misc,  and an assortment of screws etc.  Oh,  I also have some oil, coolant and aqua-hot misc parts on board.   Oh, I have one of those telescoping ladders too,  collapses to a small but heavy unit.                          I better stop before I remember more stuff.

Having the second vehicle is the best spare parts in my opinion,  unhook, take a bag of cloths, book into a nice hotel and don't get stressed, call road side assistance and whatever happens happens, You only can control so much.if it is broken that bad someone can have it! It is insured!! 

Anyone have any luck on fitting /air line and firestone air part numbers? 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

7 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Having the second vehicle is the best spare parts in my opinion,  unhook, take a bag of cloths, book into a nice hotel and don't get stressed, call road side assistance and whatever happens happens, You only can control so much.if it is broken that bad someone can have it! It is insured!! 

Anyone have any luck on fitting /air line and firestone air part numbers? 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Wayne

I read where Firestone isn't making air bags now.

True or not?

Don't know 😕

Not sure, was going to call Peterbuilt this morning but I know they are going to want a part number of some sort, did you change any of you're? And if so what brand/ number ?

Thanks

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

5 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Not sure, was going to call Peterbuilt this morning but I know they are going to want a part number of some sort, did you change any of you're? And if so what brand/ number ?

Thanks

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Sorry

I have never needed to change any out.

I would call josams, Orlando Florida and see what they say. 

They Change out many airbags on Monaco coaches 

2 hours ago, John Haggard said:

Sorry

I have never needed to change any out.

I would call josams, Orlando Florida and see what they say. 

They Change out many airbags on Monaco coaches 

Thanks

Wayne 

Just now, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Thanks

Wayne 

John, I called Josams in Florida, spoke to the service department, very helpful,  I would definitely recommend them, was just curious if a person wanted to change out all the air bags they would need at least a month's notice, another problem he said would be getting parts ,parts now are very difficult to come by. Firestone still does make Airsprings ,Airsprings is the tech term we should be using, Firestone part # 9376 for 99 /00 Signature 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Thanks

Wayne 

John, I called Josams in Florida, spoke to the service department, very helpful,  I would definitely recommend them, was just curious if a person wanted to change out all the air bags they would need at least a month's notice, another problem he said would be getting parts ,parts now are very difficult to come by. Firestone still does make Airsprings ,Airsprings is the tech term we should be using, Firestone part # 9376 for 99 /00 Signature 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Thanks for the update 😀 Wayne 

4 hours ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Thanks

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

I can pull my spare out and send pic of manufactures info if you need it 

17 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Love it! All you can do is laugh! 

Someone wrote before "when you own a coach you do not need any other hobbies"

Thanks for the great laugh, much needed

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Be easier, and cheaper to fly 

After reading this Thread 

37 minutes ago, wayne.cerven@gmail.com said:

Love it! All you can do is laugh! 

Someone wrote before "when you own a coach you do not need any other hobbies"

Thanks for the great laugh, much needed

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Should add " or can afford, any other hobbies" 😨!

If you have HWH slide outs order a solenoid valve from them.  A bad solenoid allows the slide to creep in, or out stranding you until this part arrives.  They are  proprietary and only available from HWH in Moscow Iowa.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kb0mpi said:

If you have HWH slide outs order a solenoid valve from them.  A bad solenoid allows the slide to creep in, or out stranding you until this part arrives.  They are  proprietary and only available from HWH in Moscow Iowa.  

I’ll have to dig in the manual to see what slides I have. Thanks for the tip 

7 hours ago, kb0mpi said:

I’ll have to dig in the manual to see what slides I have. Thanks for the tip 

Ride height linkage kit - Haldax 48100225 - less than 20 bucks. Those rubber end pieces ( lollipops ) do rot and fail. Safety blocks. Two inch schedule 80 pipe works great. No stacks of 2x4s. Over 30K on rear axle on some coaches. Air bag - AS8897 - Find it Parts , $120 free shipping. Has 3/4 NPT for air fitting. Need 3/4 x 1/4 reducer bushing. Some coaches need 3/4 NPT on front air bags ( mine does - 05 sig. ). 

7 hours ago, Hockeydiesel said:

Ride height linkage kit - Haldax 48100225 - less than 20 bucks. Those rubber end pieces ( lollipops ) do rot and fail. Safety blocks. Two inch schedule 80 pipe works great. No stacks of 2x4s. Over 30K on rear axle on some coaches. Air bag - AS8897 - Find it Parts , $120 free shipping. Has 3/4 NPT for air fitting. Need 3/4 x 1/4 reducer bushing. Some coaches need 3/4 NPT on front air bags ( mine does - 05 sig. ). 

Can you elaborate on the 2” sch 80 safety blocks? 

1 minute ago, JDCrow said:

Can you elaborate on the 2” sch 80 safety 

40 minutes ago, Hockeydiesel said:

30000 lbs in rear axle? Axles are typicall rated around 20000 give or take, that’s about 10 to 11 k a side, blocking 6k on front bag and 6k on rear bag is just fine, done it numerous times, a stack of 2 x 4s or 4 x 4s is amble support , plent of guys driving there coaches up on a stack of 2 x 6, just be sensible and more is better and dont use rotten wood you found on the side of the road