Taking a long trip, what parts to bring along

Have a great trip planned for October (Utah, Nevada, Arizona) and wanted to ask besides the insane amount of tools I pack with me, what parts are critical? 

I believe many have said ride height adjusters, and I assume fuses and fluids. Any thing that stands out that I can’t pick up out on the road to nowhere 

Add a fuel, water filter, & serpentine belt, to that list

We should be back from our trip by October.  Would love to see your rig. We have a 2001 that needs flooring & a paint job. That is if you get near Gilbert.  

Forgot a quart of diesel to prime that fuel filter with. 

Edited by Bob Schmeckpeper
Forgot something.
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

Add a fuel, water filter, & serpentine belt, to that list

We should be back from our trip by October.  Would love to see your rig. We have a 2001 that needs flooring & a paint job. That is if you get near Gilbert.  

Forgot a quart of diesel to prime that fuel filter with. 

Let me see where Gilbert is LOL. 

So your a little bit the other side of where we will be. Coming down from Zion to Horseshoe Bend. Don’t have Sedona on our list. Plan on hitting 303 down to the interstate (By Pass Phoenix, Never been there either), and over to Quartzsite down to Yuma to visit friends. 

13 minutes ago, JDCrow said:

Let me see where Gilbert is LOL. 

So your a little bit the other side of where we will be. Coming down from Zion to Horseshoe Bend. Don’t have Sedona on our list. Plan on hitting 303 down to the interstate (By Pass Phoenix, Never been there either), and over to Quartzsite down to Yuma to visit friends. 

Thats not far from us. Keep in touch, we probably could meet up somewhere along your route. Have some plans for yuma & Quartzsite 4 wheeling.  

• Like 1

AC capacitors. Aqua Hot nozzle if you have that. Fuel filters. Hard to get any of these in boonies and with no address to have it shipped when on the move. And so much more and never enough... Roadside assistance.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

Thats not far from us. Keep in touch, we probably could meet up somewhere along your route. Have some plans for yuma & Quartzsite 4 wheeling.  

Will do! 

33 minutes ago, Ivan K said:

AC capacitors. Aqua Hot nozzle if you have that. Fuel filters. Hard to get any of these in boonies and with no address to have it shipped when on the move. And so much more and never enough... Roadside assistance.

Talk to me about the AC capacitors. I have the original Units. Thinking about adding soft starts and a auto Gen start before we go. Kinda worried about pups getting hot should we be out and the power fails at one of our stops 

WOW... the list can be endlist... but i will say you know what your rig  could use by now. Im thinking a fan belt, fuses, plenty of ice, orange juice an vodka. And dont forget your binoculars along with your membership card for good sam or fmca or ??? Remember if you don’t have any tools or parts needed to affect your break down then make the best of the area where you’re at an make the best out of your Temporary situatio make it Great...

• Haha 1

Regardless 

The ability to tap lots of $$$$$s

Total engine rebuild,  $40 to $50 thousands 

New radiator installed??? $5,000 maybe

Anyplace you travel there are semis and tractors running.

NAPA stores are in very remote places at times.

These trucks and tractors  all need tire services ,towing and part's services. 

Personally,  I  carry LOTS of tools

Belts, filters, re built alternator,  aquahot, 

Rebuilt burner and nozels and  filter.

Solenoids plus just stuff 

Light bulbs, fuses etc.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Have a great trip planned for October (Utah, Nevada, Arizona) and wanted to ask besides the insane amount of tools I pack with me, what parts are critical? 

I believe many have said ride height adjusters, and I assume fuses and fluids. Any thing that stands out that I can’t pick up out on the road to nowhere 

Road side assistance, hopefully good enough plan that they will tow for at least 150 miles, as John mentioned the emergency fund.

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

• Like 1

LOL yeah I get money. 

We have Roadside on 2 fronts. 3A and our insurance. 

And as far as an engine rebuild if someone is shelling $40-$50k for an engine, I’d think they need a new shop to goto. 

18 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

A tow vehicle (jeep wrangler preferred) just incase you break down then you have a way to go get parts. Also you can use it to push it into town. 

Not recommend but have seen it done. 

Yes

Unlimited flight miles are good to have. 

Loved

Pushing with a jeep also.

Not uncommon to have the coach in the shop for 2 weeks to 2 months.

So housing

Travel back home.

Camp ground cancelations All can Add up.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ivan K said:

I'm getting quite a collection of used but functioning emergency AH nozzles 😃!

Guess I should have been dating them, and I could have been tossing the oldest when I install a new one.

• Thanks 1

Guest Ray Davis

If you have one, you might want to take the wife.   Assuming she wants to go.  Maybe even the kids & dogs,  neighbors, friends but only if they bring money.🤑

I haven't tried leaving without mine ( wife ) but I'm pretty sure I would be in trouble if I did.  😏

Here is my small list of important things to carry on any trip.

Coach-Net Emergency Roadside Service

Credit card with $20,000 access

Extra fuel filters, primary, secondary, generator, Aqua-Hot (replenish after using)

Spare Water Pump

18 inch 6 gauge jumper wire with eyes on both ends to jump between House and Chassis battery banks when your alternator fails. I also carry a spare alternator.

5 amp Smart Battery Charger 120 VAC with extension cord.

Spare 10 foot collapsible sewer hose (new)

Fuses - standard and mini

Water Bandit when water spigot is damaged

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Here is my small list of important things to carry on any trip.

Coach-Net Emergency Roadside Service

Credit card with $20,000 access

Extra fuel filters, primary, secondary, generator, Aqua-Hot (replenish after using)

Spare Water Pump

18 inch 6 gauge jumper wire with eyes on both ends to jump between House and Chassis battery banks when your alternator fails. I also carry a spare alternator.

Spare 10 foot collapsible sewer hose (new)

Fuses - standard and mini

Water Bandit when water spigot is damaged

Good one with the Water pump. Already pack a water Bandit. Had not thought about an alternator LOL 

47 minutes ago, Ray Davis said:

If you have one, you might want to take the wife.   Assuming she wants to go.  Maybe even the kids & dogs,  neighbors, friends but only if they bring money.🤑

I haven't tried leaving without mine ( wife ) but I'm pretty sure I would be in trouble if I did.  😏

Mine seems excited to go. Seems 

2 hours ago, BobSchmeck said:

A tow vehicle (jeep wrangler preferred) just incase you break down then you have a way to go get parts. Also you can use it to push it into town. 

Not recommend but have seen it done. 

Putting together the Toad. Will do a thread on it. 

JD,

By the way, after reading your post once again, i really don't think it is necessary to carry Ride Height Adjuster Valves. I haven had the need to monkey with those valves in the last 17+ years of owning the coach. If one of my ride height valves goes TU then a tow plus repair at a truck shop will be my plan. Besides, if you plan to replace a ride height valve you need to carry all of the tools and equipment to accomplish that while on the side of the highway.

JMHO

Edited by Dr4Film
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

JD,

By the way, after reading your post once again, i really don't think it is necessary to carry Ride Height Adjuster Valves. I haven had the need to monkey with those valves in the last 17+ years of owning the coach. If one of my ride height valves goes TU then a tow plus repair at a truck shop will be my plan. Besides, if you plan to replace a ride height valve you need to carry all of the tools and equipment to accomplish that while on the side of the highway.

JMHO

Good to know. I’ve read some people do carry them, and then this popped up in my YouTube 

https://youtu.be/lQRD_mAt3PE

Guest Ray Davis
48 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

I take those too and have used it for myself as well as to help others.  In addition I carry a set of 20ft jumper cables.

My tools are so heavy I worry about the bottom falling through.  Occasionally they come in handy.  I had the dash light up and alarms go off when a pressure switch    blew apart on the rear tank.  There was a smaller truck stop right there so I could pull in. Found a spot where I could crawl under and diagnose the problem.            Fortunately a NAPA store was 25mi back and had a replacement part.  A couple of hours plus $30 and we were rolling again. 

Having a toad sure came in handy that day.

I now carry a roll of Flexseal tape for an emergency plumbing leak.  It has saved me in the past.  I also carry a 50amp extension power cord and extra fresh water and sewer hose for those 'Pull-Thru' campsites that feel the need to place all of their utility connections at the far back end of their sites.  I had to dig my spare power cable out last week for the Inland Harbor RV Campground along I-95 in Ga.  Fortunately I only needed to connect to power for the one night.

• Like 1

JD,

Others have replied to the spare parts question, so nothing new from me. The one thing Geri and I learned from our 15 years of fulltiming is that there are grocery stores just about everywhere, no reason to overload on groceries. Extra bottled water is always a good idea.

Bill B 07 Dynasty

• Like 1

Morning 

I thought of something else last night when I was thinking about our trip to Iron man Tempe Arizona,  it is a long journey from Northern Ontario,  been done a few times, I put on new steering tires, drives and tag are coming up on 5 years, so I am going to carry one of the steering tires (rubber soft spare) as a spare and lay it down in the bed of my Dodge Ram, bikes and othe gear on top. Going to purchase a soft top from Boulder Colorado to keep everything out of the elements. Pray that we don't flat out but if we do call road  side assistance  ( CAA RV plus) have coffee and have the service truck put the spare on the rim, carry 3/4 inch socket and rachet with a 4 foot bar so I can re check after 100 miles or so, it can be nicely stored in the box of the truck as well. 

Wayne 

1999 Signature Caesar 

Coach net membership, relatively complete socket set, electric tester and test light, if possible spare tire and rim, 20 ton bottle jack, hi powered impact gun and wheel nut socket, bulbs, spare Fuses, spare fuel filter and nozzles for aqua hot, generator and engine, spare serpentine bet, one jug of rotella, 2 gallons concentrated antifreeze, at least one litre of  oil for wet hubs if you have them, filter or strap wrench, roll of gorilla tape, hand full of 6 inch 2 x 4’s in case you have airbag issues, I carry a spare air bag, to that end I carry two airline clamps just incase, few in line fuses, collection of heat shrink connectors and heat gun, few lengths of wire different gauges, a funnel, handful of stainless hose clamps, few spare switches for lights, spare water pump switching box, spare sensors and batteries for tire monitoring system, 

that’s a start for sure, I am fortunate my coach has lots of room but when I and 1000’s of miles from home stopped on the the side of the road it pays to be prepared

Moxy