What do you think?

Ok, so here's my story. I took my motorhome to Tom Scheaffer's RV in Fleetwood, PA for a state inspection. I was called and told it had failed because there was moisture between the panes of glass next to the driver's seat. Ok, I understand that as it has blocked my vision before. I asked them to fix it and was told no, they wouldn't. It was on me. As I picked it up and paid the bill I was told that the tech was bringing it into the shop and the sun hit the window and blocked his vision. State law in PA is that if the vehicle leaves the premises it must be inspected again. My problem is that knowing that it failed before it got into the shop for something that they wouldn't fix, they inspected it anyway. They knew I would have to take it off the lot for repair and pay for another inspection ($159). I feel that they should have given me a courtesy call when they saw the window and told me that they couldn't inspect it with that window. Do you think I was treated fairly?

At this point I would like to mention the wonderful people at Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL who were very professional, did a great job and turned my window around in 3 days.

A late UPDATE: After additional discussion with the service manager at Tom Scheaffer's RV an equitable agreement has been achieved. Disagreements can always happen but it is how they are resolved that is really important. I am happy with the results of this issue 

Edited by tcbrow
additional thoughts

Not in my humble opinion.  A quick look around the outside say its a fail. You can stop the inspection right there. If they did a full inspection they obviously did give a dam about the customer, we want your money now its your problem.  I'll shut up now! 

John Haggard

Yes he knew it was foggy, but did he know that was a fail reason? If you care about the customer level with them.  A quick look says that we will have to fail it,  do you want us to continue the inspection would have been a more reasonable approach.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

Not in my humble opinion.  A quick look around the outside say its a fail. You can stop the inspection right there. If they did a full inspection they obviously did give a dam about the customer, we want your money now its your problem.  I'll shut up now! 

John Haggard

Yes he knew it was foggy, but did he know that was a fail reason? If you care about the customer level with them.  A quick look says that we will have to fail it,  do you want us to continue the inspection would have been a more reasonable approach.  

But that's not the way it work's 

It's been that way for years.

There is a fail list.

Trucking companies spend bigs bucks on their fleet before going to any inspection. 

RVs have to do the same or pay once and then pay three .ore times 

Some call it racketeering. 

And that's why many states DROPPED THE REQUIRED INSPECTIONS 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Haggard said:

But that's not the way it work's 

It's been that way for years.

There is a fail list.

Trucking companies spend bigs bucks on their fleet before going to any inspection. 

RVs have to do the same or pay once and then pay three .ore times 

Some call it racketeering. 

And that's why many states DROPPED THE REQUIRED INSPECTIONS 

So thats the way some companies do it and that makes it ok! Thats perty much sums up the world doesn't it? I'll take care of myself & if I can screw you in mean time, I will! 

Now if they did the whole inspection & found a bad ball joint then that's a different story.  You can't tell from the outside just looking at it that it has a bad ball joint. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobSchmeck said:

So thats the way some companies do it and that makes it ok! Thats perty much sums up the world doesn't it? I'll take care of myself & if I can screw you in mean time, I will! 

Now if they did the whole inspection & found a bad ball joint then that's a different story.  You can't tell from the outside just looking at it that it has a bad ball joint. 

It's why , in 60 years I have never lived in nor registered vehicles in States that require State Inspections. 

But have trucker friends and associates that do. 

Well here in MO when you return for a re inspection they can only inspect what failed, and you have a certain number of days to get it done or it is a complete redo $12.50. My last MH failed for one time for a bad wiper blade. I put it on in the parking lot and they then passed it. The state likes to see some fails and re inspections now and then. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BobSchmeck said:

If they found a bad ball joint or bad brakes or anything like that I would have authorized them to repair it, one inspection-one bill. I asked them to repair the window and they wouldn't do it. 

I'm not complaining about the failure, the window had blocked my vision at times depending on temp, humidity, barometric pressure and sun angle. I was hoping to pass inspection and visit Suncoast Designers while in FL this winter.

14 hours ago, John Haggard said:

You stated that you knew it was foggy. 

Before you took it in.

Don't you fix and address any and all issues before you go for inspection? 

Yes, I knew it was foggy. Most of the time I could see through with no problem. Under certain conditions, mostly sun angle, vision was blocked. As I said above my hope was to get through inspection and have it repaired while in FL this winter. If it failed inspection I would have the inspection shop repair it. They wouldn't.

On many of these State inspections once they start the inspection on the computer they can’t back out, they either need to fail or pass. I’m in agreement with the PO however, bad circumstances. Suncoast does a very nice job I might add.

Here in the Communistwealth of Virginia when you take a vehicle in for inspection, the first thing they do is scrape the old sticker, then start the inspection.  The thought process is that even though you had a current/valid inspection sticker that your vehicle is now out of compliance.  

I think the place you took it should give you your money back in the interest of good customer relations.  If they don’t, let them know the internet has many followers…

Dan D

1 hour ago, dandick66 said:

Here in the Communistwealth of Virginia when you take a vehicle in for inspection, the first thing they do is scrape the old sticker, then start the inspection.  The thought process is that even though you had a current/valid inspection sticker that your vehicle is now out of compliance.  

I think the place you took it should give you your money back in the interest of good customer relations.  If they don’t, let them know the internet has many followers…

Dan D

I guarantee they Don't care what He , the OP thinks or the internet.

Don't waist your time and emotions. 

He knew the window was bad and admitted that he could not see safety at times and I'll bet it was like that  for some time.

It was on him to fix the window 🪟

1 hour ago, John Haggard said:

I guarantee they Don't care what He , the OP thinks or the internet.

Don't waist your time and emotions. 

He knew the window was bad and admitted that he could not see safety at times and I'll bet it was like that  for some time.

It was on him to fix the window 🪟

John,

Once again, I expected they would repair it if it failed. If I take my car for inspection and it needs ball joints I have them fix it so it passes. My issue is not that it failed, it is that it failed before they started and they wasted my money with a unnecessary inspection.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tcbrow said:

John,

Once again, I expected they would repair it if it failed. If I take my car for inspection and it needs ball joints I have them fix it so it passes. My issue is not that it failed, it is that it failed before they started and they wasted my money with a unnecessary inspection.

Again

You created this thread 

You ask 

Do you, furum members think I was treated Fairley???

You ask and you got several opinions.

Are you looking for sympathy 🤔

You chose the dealer to get your inspection 

You knowingly had the issue with  blocked vision. 

You nor any of us on the forum write nor make policy for the dealer that You Chose. 

If $$160. And some inconvenience Bothers you this much ???

So I ask you

Why didn't you get the window fixed before ?

Did you have this motorhome in Florida last year? Or before  Where you could get these windows fixed at Hudson?

Your choise of repair you say. 

We can all Agree with your position 

But you still are responsible for a solution..

Concentrate your efforts and energy on getting your windows fixed 👌 and passing inspection so you can get to Florida and Enjoy. 

John,

You are correct, I asked for opinions and I got them. What I don't understand is your insistence that I have everything fixed before I take it in for inspection. I took it to an RV Service center. I expected service. I don't always have the time, strength, energy, tools or knowledge to make the necessary repairs beforehand.

1 minute ago, tcbrow said:

John,

You are correct, I asked for opinions and I got them. What I don't understand is your insistence that I have everything fixed before I take it in for inspection. I took it to an RV Service center. I expected service. I don't always have the time, strength, energy, tools or knowledge to make the necessary repairs beforehand.

Ok

Enjoy Florida

• 6 months later...

A late UPDATE: After additional discussion with the service manager an equitable solution has been arrived at. I have internal credit for the amount of the first invoice. Errors will be made but how they are ultimately resolved is what's really important. I am happy with this solution and appreciate their understanding.

• Like 1