Trouble in Maine

Mike in Va

Woke up this morning in Bucksport Ma wanting to head back to Virginia and when I started the Motorhome, 2001 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 5.9 cummins, and  my "Trans Check" light came on.  I read the codes on my scan gague D, then called scan gague and they said the code showed a "voltage below normal or shorted high". I have checked the batteries and both sides show 13.8 to 14 volts. Took apart and cleaned all connections to the transmission and checked the NEW alternator. Everything checks out. I had to drive it around 1/4 mile to another camp site and the trans shifted to 2nd and 3rd no problem.  After cleaning and checking everything I cancelled the code, now no more codes show up but the "trans light" still comes on after 15 seconds of starting the engine. Tried to get a portable shop to come take a look but they can't make it anytime soon. Need to get back home. Any suggestions?  It have the allison 2100 transmission so no pad available to read any codes  May have to make a run for it with the light on if I can"t come up with something. Thanks    

I show 14.1 volts once the engine is running and I installed an inline trans temp gague from glow shift because this year rig didn't send that info through the ecu. My wife has been real good through all of this but not sure what one more day of delay will cause. Thanks for the input.   

1 hour ago, Mike in Va said:

I agree, Just looking for something I may have forgotten. Looks like southbound in the morning. Thanks for the help.  

Did you disconnect the chassis battery to see if that would clear your dash indicator?

Finally made it back to Va on friday. I started coming down the road from Bangor Maine with the "trans light' on and got about 20 miles and the trans temp started to heat up fast. Got to around 200 degrees so I pulled over to allow it to cool. Thanks goodness for the NEW trans temp gauge I just put on before the trip. I spend 3 hours and called at least 12 shop trying to get someone to help with no luck. No one works on motorhomes. Even the shops that work on allison trans refused to ever scan mine because its a MOTORHOME. I did find 2 rv shops that told me they didn't work on rv chassic only the coach. I finally found a young man that said he could scan it but wasn't sure he could work on it. I decided to give him a chance. I started to drive the 10 miles to meet him and he came halfway and met me at a mcdonalds. His lap top was unable to receive get any info about the trans from the 6 pin plug at the drivers seat. He crawled under the rear where the motor is located. He found another connected with several wires and was able to connect to the ecu and found NO codes causing the trans light to come and stay on. HOWEVER he found water and build up oil and grease inside the connecter. He cleaned it out and things were back to normal, no more 'trans light'. Before I met up with him he had called around on his own and found a shop in Portland that said they could help me out if I could make it to them. After all of this he only wanted to charge me 40.00 for all his trouble. Needless to say he received a very good tip. His name is Brad and his company is called Defiance Diesel (207) 938-2833. If you fine yourself close to Bangor and have a problem it would be worth a call to him.                                                                                      

Guest Ray Davis
45 minutes ago, Mike in Va said:

I spend 3 hours and called at least 12 shop trying to get someone to help with no luck. No one works on motorhomes. Even the shops that work on allison trans refused to ever scan mine because its a MOTORHOME.

I'm a little shocked that no one would help because it's a moho.   Is this a trend we all might run into?   I know MOHOs are troublesome to work on but the tranny, really?

Maybe MOHO owners have a rap of being difficult,  I bet many are, and cheap,  I know I am, cheap that is.  Stories about the big shops has caused me to decide that    the mobile guys are often the sharpest.  You gotta know some stuff to be out there all by your self.  Just like the guy that came to Mike's rescue.

Great story Mike,   thanks!!!

Ray the sad thing is I called the an allison rep about my problem and he was the one who gave me the garages that were suppose to work on the trans. The garages told me they work on allision trans but will not work on a moho.  I ask if they would at least proform a scan on it and they said no. I checked my phone tonight and I called 13 garages trying to get some help. Most of the ones that didn't work on moho referred me BACK to the same allision garages I had already called. It was a suprise to some of them when I told them I had already spoke to the garage and they refused to help. As I posted earlier I did talk to 2 Rv garages but they didn't on chassic problems. I try to carry enough tools to fix some problems but this experience has shown me how alone someone could be out on the road looking for help.