Keyless Entry FOB

Mike H

Mike,

After reading all the material on the Essex Keyless Entry and Key Fob I think the only other function that can be used is to ARM a Anti-Theft Alarm System.

They already use one for the entry door and light plus one more for the Bay Doors. All that's left is an alarm system.

16 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Mike,

After reading all the material on the Essex Keyless Entry and Key Fob I think the only other function that can be used is to ARM a Anti-Theft Alarm System.

They already use one for the entry door and light plus one more for the Bay Doors. All that's left is an alarm system.

Yeah,  I suspect some sort of receiver would need to be built with a switch to operate any lights.  I don't know of any light the FOB operates and as far as I can see it only operates the entry and bay door latches.  I usually just use the key pad to unlock the entry door and at night it's hard to see the numbers on the pad until you press one and then it lights up but if you've pressed the wrong first digit then you have to wait until it resets, which can be frustrating if it's raining 🙂 .  I've mounted rechargeable LED light on the inside of the door and entry way that detect motion and light up that area when the door is opened.

4 hours ago, Dr4Film said:

Mike, doesn't your driver's map light come on when you unlock the entry door at least for a few seconds?

My Essex Keyless Pad operates that way same for the Key Fob.

If you're referring to those gooseneck lights I see in some other coaches, our coach doesn't have map lights.

3 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

No gooseneck on my map light. Mine is mounted high on the bottom of the overhead cabinets above the driver's side console. It lights up when I unlock the entry door.

OK, I have those on both the driver and passenger side but they have their own switches in the consoles next to the seats.  I have to reach inside after I open the door to turn on the one over the passenger seat.

Drivers Console_1_s_Ceiling Light.jpg

Passenger Console_1_s_Ceiling Light.jpg

Well, I guess sometimes older may be better.

We have ceiling light switches, one three-way at the entry door and one three-way in the bedroom. Those turn on the three florescent ceiling fixtures in the salon area.

The two Map Lights, one over the driver's console is controlled by the headlight switch and the one over the passenger console has it's own switch.

It's the driver's Map Light that turns on whenever the entry door is opened by the Keypad or the Key Fob.

In your situation, is it possible to install a relay to trigger one of those map lights to come on for a short period of time by using the fourth button on your Key Fob?

One thing you can do with the key pad is reprogram the access code to start with either a 1 or 9.  That way when you start to enter the code you just press that number and the keypad lights up to see the rest of the numbers.  That's what we do and it works pretty well. 

We don't even use the key fobs or carry keys, just use the key pad. 

We do have one window rigged so in an emergency we can access the coach though if we are locked out. 

On 9/12/2021 at 1:00 PM, Mike H said:

I have the four button keyless entry Key Fob.  In the owners manual it states that only 3 of the buttons are used.  Has anyone figured out how to use that 'extra' button to perform another function, like turning on the outside porch light or something else?

Key Fob.jpg

Essex now sells an Avital brand wireless entry system to go with their keypad system (the two are completely separate). The avital (and I'm sure yours too) are just generic aftermarket keyless entry systems. Essex doesn't make a wireless system. They just remarket and have apparently changed several times over the years.

Each of the keyfob buttons will be linked to a particular pair of wires on the wireless box (mine is inside the dash). When you press the unlock button it connects the two unlock wires together and grounds a solenoid in the run bay that actuates the lock. Likewise for the other buttons. The unused button on your keyfob is for a pair of wires that's not presently connected to anything. My keyfob has an extra button also that I've contemplated connecting to exterior lighting, but it would be a lot of work.

I was able to utilize an existing wire in the coach harness to make the new wireless entry's 'dome light' output turn on the interior lights for a minute after unlocking the door. My original wireless box didn't have a dome light output, but I think that circuit was used with the optional viper alarm system.

The essex door keypad also has several unused wires. Each of the function buttons (I think there are three provided) is a number that is pressed after entering the unlock code. Each activates a different wire on the back of the keypad. Only one of those circuits are used for the bay doors on my coach (linked to button 9).

Cheers,

Walter

Edited by wamcneil
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 9/13/2021 at 11:35 AM, jacwjames said:

One thing you can do with the key pad is reprogram the access code to start with either a 1 or 9.  That way when you start to enter the code you just press that number and the keypad lights up to see the rest of the numbers.  That's what we do and it works pretty well. 

We don't even use the key fobs or carry keys, just use the key pad. 

We do have one window rigged so in an emergency we can access the coach though if we are locked out. 

Can you share the details of your rigged window? I experienced one lockout due the Trimark door handle coming apart inside and I could not get back in the coach even with my keys. Thank you,

Lee Smith

Basically the portion of the latch that would lock the window is missing (broken) and I've never fixed it.  So I can simply push against the sliding window to get it open.  It is on the drivers side.  Came in handy when the door would not unlatch ~3 years ago.  Luckily I was at home and had access to a step ladder.  In a pinch I'm sure I could figure out a way to be able to climb up in. 

Other people have drilled a small hole in the right location so they can push on the lever to undo the latch. 

• Thanks 1