Another trip, another new adventure

Last trip it was the Oil Level Sensor issue.  Got that fixed.  This time went to change sites at the campground.  Turn the key on and nothing.  Backup camera turned on but nothing else on the dash.  Sat there for a few minutes staring off into space trying to come up with a good explanation, tried it again and everything worked.  Upon leaving the campground to come home, same thing again.

On the trip home after about 125 miles the coach shut itself off.  Luckily, I was on a straight road and was able to coast to a stop, blocking traffic. After 5 minutes or so it started again.  Drove 50 miles and I shut it off and it did it again but was able to get it going again.  Another 35 miles and it shut itself off again.  Was able to get to the shoulder out of the way this time.  Arranged a tow from Coach Net.  After about four hours it started again and drove the last 80 miles home.

It has been suggested that it could be the batteries or a relay switch.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks!

Had very similar thing happen on my 2001 Safari Zanzibar. Just shut off going down road. Had unit towed to Cat dealer, Thanksgiving eve. As I started to think this over the check engine light was not on. That was the answer. The fuse for the ECM quite making contact. Pulled out fuse and it was not blown but holder showed extreme heat, melted plastic. It seems China has been making the fuses from thinner material. I found a old made in USA fuse and measured the thickness. The USA lugs are .015 thousands thicker. Could not find any 20 amp ATO fuse so used breaker with copper lugs .020 thicker. End of problem. 

Everything helps!

I do not know

But doing a Web search, it doesn't sound like I should be hearing any clicks when I turn the ignition on or maybe just one.  I hear 3-4 rapid clicks.  They sound like they are coming from the dash somewhere.

Edited by mrbill1951

My coach had those same basic symptoms. One of the solenoid/relays in the FRB was flaking out. There ae two my bay. Replaced them both and the problem has been corrected for two years now. 

Good luck,

Ken

45 minutes ago, mrbill1951 said:

Thanks Ivan!

Is yours in the FRB?  I just check mine and didn't see it.  Wonder if it is under the dash somewhere.

Yes, that is a picture of part of the FRB on ours. No clue where yours might be if not there. I would think that it would be protected from elements but can't tell for sure.

Check ALL your circuit breaker connections in the rear run box.  That was where I found my problem with what you describe.  One lug on the load side of a 150 amp breaker was so loose it all but melted the lug.  Tightened everything up and that was that.  I have since replaced the circuit breaker, they're cheap.  The heat from a loose connection can melt copper.

Woody Miller

09 Dynasty