2008 Monaco Knight Air Dryer / Desiccant

Steve P

The simplest things can be the most trouble.  My owners manual says the desiccant canister for the "air supply system: needs to be replaced every 2-3 years (controls brakes, air bags?, a little unclear what else...).  Anyway, what the manual doesn't say is where the desiccant canister is located.  I've read various threads that say in the engine compartment up high, or in the side compartment where the a/c and leveling system is accessed (the one with the barrel lock).  I wonder if perhaps there is more than one air system...?  So if someone knows where to look, I'd really appreciate the help.  Otherwise, it's down to finding front and rear air tanks and tracing air lines all over the place.  Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, Harvey Babb said:

Hopefully someone who knows your coach will reply, but if you have to trace it out start at the compressor. The dryer will be the first device the compressor discharge connects to. 

Have you looked at the air drier itself? I'm not familiar with your particular coach but some air driers have a spin on filter mounted on top of it.

HTB1QKRbXG5s3KVjSZFNq6AD3FXaU.jpg

The air dryer canaster is installed on the air dryer at the factory that manufacturers them.  The canaster was so tight that mine it had to be removed from the coach in order to remove the canaster.  The air dryer is needed to take the moisture out of the air before the air reaches the brakes.  If moisture is in the air when it reaches the brakes and freezes in cold weather, the brakes will not work.  If you do not have the correct jack stands, the ability to function under the coach, with the correct tools, it would serve you well to have a shop perform the work.  JMHO,  chuck B 2004 Windsor

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Chuck B said:

The air dryer canaster is installed on the air dryer at the factory that manufacturers them.  The canaster was so tight that mine it had to be removed from the coach in order to remove the canaster.  The air dryer is needed to take the moisture out of the air before the air reaches the brakes.  If moisture is in the air when it reaches the brakes and freezes in cold weather, the brakes will not work.  If you do not have the correct jack stands, the ability to function under the coach, with the correct tools, it would serve you well to have a shop perform the work.  JMHO,  chuck B 2004 Windsor

Chuck - that's great advice and good insight.  You are spot on regarding the moisture, which is why I'm on the hunt for the desiccant canister (no record the previous owner ever had it changed).  As much as possible, I prefer doing the work myself.  Stands, tools, and personal mobility are not the problem.  Figuring  out what has to be serviced, how often, and in this case where it is, is the current (first) challenge.  Degree of difficulty of removal will have to wait until I get to the storage facility and overcome that challenge.  Thanks for sharing! 

• Like 1

Steve,    
You might want to pump the brakes or open the air drain valve to lower air pressure.  Then start the engine and go to the rear of the coach and listen for the burst of air when the dryer discharges.  The desiccant cartridge will be where the burst of air came from.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, dandick66 said:

Steve,    
You might want to pump the brakes or open the air drain valve to lower air pressure.  Then start the engine and go to the rear of the coach and listen for the burst of air when the dryer discharges.  The desiccant cartridge will be where the burst of air came from.

Dan - thanks!  I have heard that burst of air.  I think the dryer is inside the roadside compartment behind the air conditioner condenser.  The manual describes it as "between the frame rails next to the transmission".  The dryer discharge you mention should be like a homing beacon.   Thanks again!!

Bob/Doug - thanks... I've opened that panel and swung out the condenser a half dozen times, and I should obviously be more observant.   Having owned the beast just over 15 months, I'm still in the steep part of the learning curve.  I will check it out as soon as I can get to the storage facility.  In the meantime, I'm ordering every filter, fluid, and spare part I can identify for the chassis, the house, and the generator.  Thanks again.  God bless you (and others) for your help!