Need info on the stock solar panel setup on a 2002 Signature 40

jjroxus

I am new to the site and have been spending a lot of time reading posts.  There’s a lot of info here…What a great group this is!  

I purchased a 2002 Signature 40 a few weeks ago and am just getting to know it.  I have studied the owners manual and still I have a lot of questions.  My wife and I are former long time live aboard-cruising sailors and I am very familiar at living on 12volts.  However the coach is a bit more complicated electrically than the boat.  So he we go…  The charging system: I am not sure everything is working correctly.

The coach seems to be pretty much original from the electrical stand point.  It has what I believe is the original solar panel on the roof.  I doesn’t seem to be charging the batteries.  I do have the electrical manual and have been studying it intensely, however I don’t see any info on the solar panel wiring.  The only thing I have found is there is a supposed to be a ground wire on the low amperage plate negative strip in the driver-side engine area.  I could use some in site on where or if there is a controller for the panel, where the wiring goes once inside the fridge vent, and where it is supposed to finally hooks into the 12V electrical system.  After I get that figured out I will move deeper into the high current plate operation, big-boy testing, battery saver, …

Thanks,

JJ

Our 00 Sig came with a 30 Amp solar charger independently charging both banks with different configurable voltages. It is in a control panel above the fridge in ours. If you find yours and it has a display and a switch to see either banks voltage, it should charge both. The charge wires go from it directly to batteries with an inline fuse over the batteries. It can't do much more than trickle charge with its single solar panel.

On 10/10/2021 at 7:01 AM, willbo777 said:

Usually the stock single solar collector only trickle charges the chassis batteries.

Thank You for the info.

JJ

Thank you's to: willbo777, Ivan K, Chuck B, and waterskier_1 for you input,  wiring diagrams, etc.  That info has jumped me fwd in knowledge a lot of steps.  I found the solar controller above the fridge on my 02 Signature. (thanks Ivan K)  It's an RV 30D controller.

In my battery bay there is a temp sensor and two 12 ga. orange wires and another wire that looks like a 24 ga speaker wire that terminates in a lug with an 1/4" hole that were just hanging there.  I put the sensor on the house battery with a bit of adhesive.  One of the two orange wires connects to the same lug the house battery connects to.  The other orange wire is coming through the back wall. - -(I'm speculating maybe from the solar controller) It had a voltage reading of 13.5 v which was higher than either the chassis or coach house batteries.  I have no idea what the other wire with the lug is for unless it is a ground connection for the temp sensor?

I just had cataract surgery this morning, so will be out of commission for a week or so until the eye heals.  I am looking forward to get back to working on the coach. Once again thanks for your help.

All The Best,

JJPreview attachment IMG-3371.JPG [Image] 2.8 MB.URL

IMG-3371.JPG

IMG-3368.JPG

Looks like our factory setup was. We have a flat gray temp sensor for the trace inverter/charger. The "speaker wire" is a temp sensor lead for RV30 and goes on any lug. Yellow 8Ga wire to house battery positive. Orange 8Ga wire to chassis batteries positive. There is also a white wire that is a shared ground for the two and terminates on the frame out of sight. Hope you heal quick!

2 hours ago, Ivan K said:

Looks like our factory setup was. We have a flat gray temp sensor for the trace inverter/charger. The "speaker wire" is a temp sensor lead for RV30 and goes on any lug. Yellow 8Ga wire to house battery positive. Orange 8Ga wire to chassis batteries positive. There is also a white wire that is a shared ground for the two and terminates on the frame out of sight. Hope you heal quick!

I have the same "speaker wire" just hanging in my battery compartment not hooked up.