Want a quality coach

Will52

I don’t have a great coach but we are looking this winter in central Florida Monaco is on the A list any help is appreciated. A friend told me to join the forums of the coaches that I would like to own so this is why why am doing it. Country coach Tiffin and Newell are also on this list thank you all in advance

Regardless of the brand get a 2002-2008 coach as high up in the lineup as fits your budget.  Have it professionally inspected by someone familiar with large diesel coaches. 

Don't fall into the trap of shopping for a specific length.  

Best of luck.

• Like 3

No Def, No Egr, No DPF. 

I have not driven anything but my Monaco. I would lean County Coach based on the Front IFS suspension. But they are priced above Monaco products. 

This site is a good place to research pros and cons of each. 

• Like 2

You are dealing with a huge price spread from one of the top of the price line Newell down to the lower end Monaco/Tiffin coach costs.  If I were to purchase a new or used coach, I would go with a brand that is still manufacturing and supporting their coaches.  That way I would not have to go on the internet begging for parts, service, advice, and support.  Chuck B 2004 Windsor

• Like 1

Without a budget and usage, it’s hard to answer your question. Since Newell’s bring a premium my guess is a $200K budget.
Took me 3 rigs to find what works for us as half timers… 04 Dynasty 42’ with 4 slides and thought we’d age out before it did. Son wanted it (still in the family) and knew I wanted another S-10 chassis  (10 airbags & tag axle) because of the good handling and 8000lbs of CCC. Not worried about it being a orphan as others than the fiberglass front/rear caps, Monaco didn’t actually make much else. OK, they made the chassis but from parts still available that rarely need replacing.

Not a fan of IFS as there’s 15 more moving parts than a solid front axle plus a S-10 chassis doesn’t need handling improvements that a IFS is supposed to increase. Agree you do not want a 07 or newer engine, BUT my 08 HR Navigator has a 06 engine as Monaco bought a bunch of extra 06 engines. EGR started on engines built after 10/2003, but it’s fairly easy to delete…so I’ve been told. DPF (regenerating exhaust filters) started in 07 and give a fair amount of trouble.

I’ve said for years the perfect coach is a 06 Monaco Executive or Signature with a DD60 engine…recently helped our daughter buy a 06 HR Navigator with a DD60 engine. They had a successful trip out West this past summer without any problems… had a few small items that needed fixing before they left.

Edited by Ivylog

If you read the OP’s first post carefully, he included Country Coach (last made in 2009) in what he was looking for. He’s not looking for new and hopefully something 08 or older… in the $200K max range. 
PS: didn’t know you could get a new Newell for only $1.5 million as a friend paid $1.3 11 years ago for one… got to love inflation.

Edited by Ivylog
  • Like 1

By 2004, the big S-10 chassis Monacos, HRs, & Beavers we’re all made on the same assembly line… biggest difference was Beavers got Cat engines.

I have never seen a Big Monaco, et all, with basement air…they have 3 roof heat pumps plus AquaHot.

William a budget would help.

Edited by Ivylog

Replying abt. $$$ I have a old gasser that we will trade in and get what we can from it so a Dealer I will have to deal with willing to go as high 80K. So 02 to 05? 35ft to 38.

I recently did some looking around at non-Monaco used coaches for the same reason Chuck cites, i.e., not much help from REV about pre-bankruptcy coaches.  Newell and Foretravel cost more than I want to spend, and Newmar (I looked mostly at Dutch Stars) seem to get great raves up until about 2015 after which they get some pretty lousy reviews.  Tiffin seems to rate about like Newmar, i.e., after 2014 or 15 the reviews don't seem to be as good (I looked mostly at Allegro Bus and Phaeton).  RV net had some useful comments from users.  https://www.coastresorts.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/22/days/14/sub/40.cfm

19 hours ago, Will52 said:

I don’t have a great coach but we are looking this winter in central Florida Monaco is on the A list any help is appreciated. A friend told me to join the forums of the coaches that I would like to own so this is why why am doing it. Country coach Tiffin and Newell are also on this list thank you all in advance

I saw a 06 Signature For Sale on another side the other day. I know the owner, in Canada, and it is in excellent condition. $125K Canadian. A steal.

Edited by Paul A.
added info

20 years ago I made the mistake of believing the BS of 36’ max for public campgrounds… Cost me a lot of money upgrading and now we’re finally at 45’ because they don’t make a 50’. Out West we dry/public camp 5-6 days/week without problems finding sites and this is without reservations, even the last 2 summers that have been busier than normal.

$100K for a 06 Sig is a really good deal… I thought I had done well at $110K for a 06 Navigator for my daughter six months ago.

There are lots of posts on here about the poor handling of the non-tag Monaco motorhomes so do yourself a favor and go big and get it over with.

Edited by Ivylog

We also have a 45 footer and have little to none with problems finding city/county/state/fed parks that can get you in.  They are not pull throughs most of the time, but you can get in.  Forget REV as mentioned, useless is kind to describe the help you get from them.  Our '09 has the ISM 500, no DEF, no DPF.  Would I buy another Monaco??  In a heartbeat.  And you can't beat the woodwork in a Beaver unless you drop a couple million on one of the nicer customs.  IFS?  Big deal, IMHO.  The ONLY thing I would watch out for is the Kongsberg chassis multiplex.

We skipped the smaller coaches.  I used to travel for construction work and had to live out of a 28 footer, by myself, so I knew what cabin fever is like.  Go big the first time and save yourself some money.  That's my 1 cent opinion, that used to be worth 2 cents last year.

Woody Miller

• Like 2