Rear Camera

FishAR

Aladdin Jr system
I have to back up the road to get in my driveway. I noticed yesterday that my center rear camera was showing a gray snowy screen. I'm pretty sure it worked before even though I haven't had this motorhome long.

Side cameras work.

What should I look for?

Mike,

Your configuration is probably the same as mine.

My rear camera was intermittently loosing picture. I took the camera off and fed the cable out far enough to get to the connector. Then I disconnected the connector and cleaned it and reconnected it. My issue went away.

Unfortunately, the cable just hangs across the cavity between the back wall and rear cap. If you drop it, you will have a tough time retrieving the end. I clipped a hemostat on mine while I worked on it.

Roy

• Like 1

I had the same problem with one of my side cameras.  Just like Roy said above, I took the connector apart, cleaned it and sprayed a little Corrosion-X on both sides of the connector.  Problem solved.  While on the topic of cameras (particularly side cameras) I had a very hard deposit on the inside of the lens which was degrading the image of one of my side cameras.  I tried to clean it off, but it just wouldn't come off.  As a last resort, I tried polishing it off with my work bench buffer.  I got it off, but it left some optical distortions in the glass.  I didn't like that, so I got online and did some searching.  I found that you can buy flat watch crystals in many different sizes on Amazon for just a few bucks.  Mine were 36mm.  Got 10 of them for about $8.  It worked beautifully, and I've got extras to share with a fellow RV'er if I ever come across someone with the same problem!

Carey

• Like 1

I have the same setup.  I've struggled w a short in my cable that comes from the camera. If you have a small TV, try hooking the RCA video to the TV at the first split from the camera feed. Clean the connectors as mentioned above.  Rvcams.com owner Tim Lazaroe is very helpful.  I never liked my camera picture and ordered a plug and play replacement from them and the quality and pic is awesome.  

• 3 weeks later...

Poor connections most likely.  My bad connection was in the dash where the splitter/electronics were located.  Sometimes the connect was good, and then poor.  Lousy old set up anyway to I pulled it all out and installed new monitor and cameras.  Used the old cable with new connectors soldered on to the old cable.  As said, TIE OFF THE CABLE BEFORE MESSING AT THE REAR CAP.  I have no idea how you would get that cable back if it falls down.  I put a zip tie on that cable attached to the wiring for the clearance lights on the cap, plus I'll put a second attachment string if I have to pull the cable back out to work on something.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to working on this today. Took the camera out, sprayed the connection, didn't help. Took the camera apart and saw there was really nothing I could do in there. Inside of the lens is wet and I really can't get at it to dry it off. I do think I see a really blurry image of my driveway and grass in my yard but it's just colors.

Couldn't figure out how to get the top of the dash off, I pried with my finger on those upholstered buttons that are obviously covering screws but they wouldn't come off and I didn't want to tear them up. Gave up for now. We're leaving Friday, 1200 miles to florida and have other things to get done.

I wasn't going to pull the silverado all that way and not ever see it so I went to walmart and bought a license plate camera.

Maybe I'll get back to it after we get settle in at the florida place.

My dash has just a panel that lifts up for access. I don't have a pic, but it's right in front of the steering wheel.  If you post a pic of your dash, someone may be able to help.  Are you coming thru AL on I10? That passes close to me if I can help. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steven P said:

My dash has just a panel that lifts up for access. I don't have a pic, but it's right in front of the steering wheel.  If you post a pic of your dash, someone may be able to help.  Are you coming thru AL on I10? That passes close to me if I can help. 

That's where mine is, I didn't try to just pick it up I assumed it was attached at the 4 corners where the upholstered buttons are. I will try that today.

We're getting off I24 at Nashville, taking 65 to 231 and Troy Alabama and spending the night. Then to Marianna Florida and get on 10, going to Lake City and spending the night there. Thanks for the offer but I haven't allowed myself much time except for driving and sleeping.

@FishAR mine doesn't have 4 snap covers like yours.  You should be able to pry them off and there is likely a Phillips head screw under each.  Safe travels, you'll be a good ways east of me w your route. Check w Tim at rvcams.com about the camera.  He knows his stuff. 

• Like 1

The $100 temorary camera I bought is junk but the good news is wife can see enough of the truck in the Monaco rear camera that we know it's there. She says it just looks like it's covered in fog or smoke. It cleared up a little since we left so she can see the shapes.