Cell phone & Internet Service While Traveling

A friend just got residential in Maryland. 

He is in a rural area, only able to get Hughes.

I have seem several on construction trailers around here. 

Saw 2 at Lums pond in Delaware recently. 

My trigger finger is getting real itchy...!

9 hours ago, cbr046 said:

Nope. Got a ways to go yet

That is an availability map. It represents the areas where you can or can't order residential service. I'm not sure if it is the same for RV service. Also, there are some work-a-rounds if you're in an area where it isn't available yet. I'm not the expert on that but there's tons of info on YouTube.

• Like 1

I live in one of those dark color areas and was on a residential list for over a year with $99 deposit. They try to keep the number of subs in each area under control to be able to guarantee priority service, dont remember the speeds. After about a year (DFW area) I was offered a best effort service, no speed guarantees but I could suspend it if not good enough. Well, it is way better/faster than what I could get otherwise, at home. Before our trip, I switched to RV service/roaming which also is best effort and I could also suspend it if I ever wanted to after we return. It works everywhere we went as long as it can see good portion of the sky, preferably northern but it will find its optimal position in each location. The satelites are always moving,  there might be short outage if the sky is obscured by trees, hills etc until next satelite gets into the view. However, I never had problems streaming since there is buffering to overcome the short outage without noticing. As a matter of fact, I am typing this in a totally dead cell signal area inside a canyon, 25 mies drive to get phone signal. My wife would never stay here longer than overnight if we had no internet and wifi calling. As far as I know, anyone can still get the best effort RV subscription. Pic for illustration. 

20230614_145132.jpg

• Like 3

@Ivan KWhat is "faster". Have you tried a speed test every once in a while. Very curious on speed. I need something at 30MB+. speedtest.net is a good one to try.

Love the campsite!!

26 minutes ago, nvrtoofast said:

@Ivan KWhat is "faster". Have you tried a speed test every once in a while. Very curious on speed. I need something at 30MB+. speedtest.net is a good one to try.

Love the campsite!!

Just now, but I have seen it at 25mbps too. Can't beat a free blm site like this!

Screenshot_20230614_153639_Starlink.jpg

• Like 1

The speed varies greatly depending on several things but primarily on the amount of traffic on the satelites your using. I've ad speeds as low as 5mps and as high as 250mps, I would say typical is between 30 and 100.

• Like 1

Looks like Moab. How was the drive in?

@Tom Wallis 30-100 is nice. I was on sim cards last national trip and had averages of 15+. It was a pain. Relieved when I got above 30.

• Like 1

MoonDocking! That speed is awesome!

We also have Starlink - it has been great!

We got a Peplink from MobileMust Have with a Verizon data card, and it worked good (but always a bit slow), we also have a nice roof antenna. 

Last year we got Starlink, and it has worked so great I just turned off the Verizon data card. We do WiFi calling and tons on data (I still work part time).

We used Starlink in our travels to British Columbia- fun fact - at Prince George the Starlink points South instead of North.  We also used it last winter all up and down Baja. 

currently we are in the mountains of Utah where there is no cell signal - but Starlink, iphone, and Verizon does a very nice WiFi calling.

Usually it goes on our ladder with a Flag Pole Buddy setup. We also have the 150’ cable as well as the supplied 75’ cable. So far have always had signal. A few times in very tall trees - the signal was not so great - but then we just used our phones data. 

Usually signals are 100mb downloads and 10-12 upload - but over the last week I have seen a low of 50 down 8 up and a high of 221 down and 15 up.

Cost is $150/month - but you can turn it off when not RV - so no charges during months you don’t use it. 

For RV’s I think Starlink has arrived. 

• Like 3

We where just in Moab a few weeks ago and went hiking in some remote areas around there. It amazed me how we would have zero cell signal for a long time but when we got to a high mountain area all of a sudden a text would come through. There wasn’t any cell towers anywhere around there.

Does anyone have any experience with TMobile 5G home internet in their RV?   I have a TMobile 5G Home Internet gateway in my RV where it is parked at home base in a rural area near Bryan TX.   I am getting typical download speeds of 150 to 250 mbps consistently .... but I have seen occasional slowdowns to 3 - 5 mbps maybe once every week or two lasting for an hour or so.   Their coverage map looks pretty good but I've not had the TMobile box on the road yet so I cannot vouch for performance over an extended area.   There is unlimited data, $50/mo subscription, free gateway box with built in WiFi and an ethernet connection.   No outside antenna, just position the box near a window facing the direction of the tower and plug in to 120 vac.   TMobile cellphone service is not required.  The WiFi password is shown on the label with the serial number.    I'm using Roku for streaming. 

@wek1958 I am using the T-Mobile Home Internet 5G.  So far I have had good results.  It also works in motion too.  I have used it now for several trips.  Even one to Big Bend in Texas, not much signal strength.  Using my WeBoost right up against the T-Mobile Receiver and then tethered to the repeater/router.  No problems for talk/text and streaming.

While my rig is in storage, I leave the network on and can access remotely all the wireless systems.   I signed up right when they started for $25/mo.

That's interesting.  The Wilson specs don't show their supporting T-Mobile 5G.  Maybe their specs are not up to date. 

Copied from Wilson's web site ad: 

Supported Carriers

The weBoost 470144 Home MultiRoom supports the 2G, 3G, 4G LTE and 5G networks from virtually all carriers in the United States and Canada. For other locations, please consult the frequencies listed below to see if this product will work for you.

Here is a more detailed breakdown of the carriers, networks and frequencies boosted by this kit:

• AT&T 2G, 3G, 4G HSPA+, 4G LTE & 5G
  • Verizon 2G, 3G, 4G LTE & 5G
  • Sprint 2G, 3G & 4G LTE
  • T-Mobile 2G, 3G, 4G HSPA+ & 4G LTE
  • US Cellular 2G, 3G & 4G LTE
  • All other carriers using 700 MHz, 800 MHz, 1900 MHz, and AWS 1700/2100 MHz frequencies

@wek1958 That is a good point.  The T-Mobile box also supports 2.4G.  I definitely see a stronger signal to the T-Mobile Box when using the weBoost.   I will use the weBoost for my T-Mobile Cell phones as well.  I may not be able to explain why, but it works. 

Also, I have the Drive X RV weBoost which weBoost tech says is the best signal booster for T-mobile for parked and in motion.  Again, not smart enough in this field to disprove, but it works really good for my cell phones and T-Mobile Box.

Edited by Bill R
Added Comment