Starter

InGodWeTrust

Hello everyone, 

I'm trying to track down starter for 2003 monaco windsor but am getting several part# current starter is 10478926 delco remey site shows several other #'s 8204433 or 10478818. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated don't want to order wrong one. Thanks in advance..

Guest toastmn

Replaced my 99 Windsor 8.3l with a Remy 8200433 39MT.  Word of advice,  the new starter is indexible.  Wish I knew that before I started.  One of the connections was a pain in the ass! 5 minutes to index would have saved me an hour or more of cussing lol!

Screenshot_20220126-163613_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220126-163539_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220126-163523_Gallery.jpg

Edited by toastmn

Having built Delco starters for years, I would suggest you update to 39MT Delco. The nose piece has six allen head screws so you can clock the mount. Most important thing is to make sure you count the teeth on the drive. Have used several imports and they will out last your coach. Most likely your old starter died from low amperage or the brushes hung up. Very common for the MT40/42 starters.

• Thanks 1

Delco 10461240, 10478818, 10478926, 10479109 Industrial Starter

100% New – Free Shipping! – Expedited rates available in cart
Item# 6630N
$362.99
$408.99

Thanks Mike

I have been putting this off but with travel season around the corner I better get on it. I do have a question what is indexing? How to..?

On 1/26/2022 at 5:30 PM, toastmn said:

Replaced my 99 Windsor 8.3l with a Remy 8200433 39MT.  Word of advice,  the new starter is indexible.  Wish I knew that before I started.  One of the connections was a pain in the ass! 5 minutes to index would have saved me an hour or more of cussing lol!

Guest toastmn

William, indexing, or the ability to clock /rotate the starter motor in relation to the mounting holes.   If you look on my second picture, you can see a 5 threaded holes.  While the starter is out of the coach you can remove and adjust as necessary.   My solenoid pack is really close to the block, but I did get it to work.  Wasn't until my final install picture that I noticed it could be indexed.

5 hours ago, toastmn said:

William, indexing, or the ability to clock /rotate the starter motor in relation to the mounting holes.   If you look on my second picture, you can see a 5 threaded holes.  While the starter is out of the coach you can remove and adjust as necessary.   My solenoid pack is really close to the block, but I did get it to work.  Wasn't until my final install picture that I noticed it could be indexed.

Ah...got it thanks for explanation I can move forward with project. Thanks

On 1/26/2022 at 5:30 PM, toastmn said:

What is indexing?

There is a SAE standard for big engine starter bolt placement. Instead of a Delco, I would recommend a geared Denso starter on EBay.

I used a mechanic with a pit (so I could spray for air leaks) to put a replacement Denso gear starter on my ISX. Because it had fewer teeth he said it would not fit so put the Delco back on. 3 years later when the Delco would barely turn it ove, put the Denso on… it was the correct starter as the gear is off center. Each of by 3 batteries (one at a time) will start it now.

2D8CB192-F3FF-43B2-9457-B9C741A0E13F.png

Edited by Ivylog

I also switched to the Denso gear-reduction starter several years ago.  Spins the engine over much faster.  Measured cranking amps with the Delco (non gear-reduction) and the Denso.  Delco amps were considerably higher (can't remember exact numbers, but think it was about 150 amps more).

I was not having problems with the Delco, but it always seemed to me that it was barely able to turn the engine over fast enough to start in really cold weather.  I tried it once, and the Denso will fire it off in freezing weather, even if I do not wait for the electric manifold heaters to warm up.

Another advantage is that the Denso is MUCH lighter.  Wrestling that Delco to the ground while lying on my back was quite a feat.  The Denso was easy.  2000 ISC-350 with nearly 200K miles.