Coolant corrosion filter valves

Kurt,

I have been through a few of those valves. Once they are cracked you will need to replace it AFAIK.

My factory original one got cracked at a Speedco in Hammond LA when they attempted to shut the valve to change the filter. Had that replaced in Tulsa OK.

The second one got cracked at a Speedco in Fernley NV when they did the very same thing when changing the filter. Had that one replaced at a Cummins shop in Coburg OR.

The Cummins tech recommended this to me. When engine service techs attempt to shut-off the valve have them remove the oil filter FIRST and use that end of the valve to shut it off versus the other end that is exposed and easier to get to. He stated that the end towards the oil filter is less likely to break the twist valve.

Ever since I started having engine service techs use that procedure the valve replaced in 2015 has never been damaged.

• Like 1

You do not state which engine you have. I had a 2003 Diplomat with ISC 330 and had to remove the housing to fix the same problem. There was not enough clearance to get item 7 on the attached diagram out of the housing. If your housing is also bad I am pretty sure I have a spare one.

43E7248B-6967-4C4C-AEAA-2052D0586E88.jpeg

Kurt,

From memory, I replaced the valve myself about 4 years ago. Drained coolant down below the valve assembly and removed the assembly. Replaced valve "on the bench", reinstalled, all is good. 

Richard is correct, remove the oil filter first then shut off the valve when changing the filter.  VERY IMPORTANT  the valve only rotates in one direction to close, if you rotate it the wrong direction you will break the valve stem. ( don't ask how I discovered this) Unfortunately, I don't remember if it is clockwise or counter clockwise. I can't find my notes  right now.

I did this when I was 70+ years young so it is a DIY project I believe.

When looking at the valve diagram in Kenneth's post you will understand why you need to use the end closest to the oil filter versus the other end. That end of the valve is the larger solid piece of the valve versus the opposite end which is smaller and screwed into the larger portion of the valve.

Not sure if I agree with rotation direction as you should be able to rotate in either direction to close and open the valve AFAIK.

Edited by Dr4Film

Thanks for the feedback…. BUT….

it’s on a 2002 ISL 400.

First… what is AFAIK? 

Second, my short side #8 knob is the one that is cracked.

I guess I’m looking for insight as to….Is the coolant going to come gushing out like a gutted deer OR does anyone know if it is manageable to replace the  short side parts only while bolted on engine.   This is bolted towards the bottom of engine so it will drain like 6 or so gallons?

Thanks!

AFAIK = As far as I know

When my coolant filter valve was cracked each time, the coolant would drip not gush.

I do very little work on my engine so possibly someone who has worked on this valve will chime in.

If it were me, I would remove it and install a new one. Then if you choose, you could rebuild the old one on your workbench.

I had mine crack, in spite of how careful I was.  At one time, Cummins offered a Stainless Steel replacement.  I could not find one at the time, so I machined a new one from 304 SS.  Virtually bulletproof.  Unfortunately, shortly after I switched to OAT coolant, and have had no need to touch it since.  You might check to see if a SS one is available for your engine.

Mine must have been somewhat different than the one in the pix above.  It had a wrench flat on only one end and it was installed vertically.

1 hour ago, klcdenver said:

You can get a rebuild kit for it. Don’t know the part number but usually available on eBay 

I have the stuff… Book says drain coolant…. I’d like to avoid that.  Asking if any has swapped it out without draining & how much coolant was lost.

Kurt,

Follow the book. Trust me, the reason WHY there is a coolant shut off valve is to stop the coolant from gushing out when you remove the filter. The same would happen when you disassemble the valve assembly.

I assume that it is leaking now since it is broken. So, either option, 1 or 2, you will need to drain the coolant which isn't that big of a deal.

Use the coolant Petcock on the bottom of the radiator to drain the coolant into a clean oil catch bin.