Washer Upgrade...from Splendide WDC 1024 to GE GFQ14 Review w/Pics

Bob Jones

• Bob Jones changed the title to Washer Upgrade...from Splendide WDC 1024 to GE GFQ14 Review w/Pics

You nailed it. It's really quite surprising what some of the benefits are. I actually put a Green Goblin down the bowl after every black tank flush. Just being able to say that makes me smile 🤣 They are cheap and when I flush the black tank the toilet paper is, for all intents and purposes, dissolved. And I use regular Costco TP. The park I'm in has something like 200 or 250 units in it and it's on septic!! I smile every time I flush a Green Goblin knowing I'm doing my part !! 💩

31 minutes ago, Dr4Film said:

Great job, Bob! I love seeing upgrades that really make sense. Thanks for sharing.

It was a bit of a long-winded post but I felt the washer was worth it. Both the old one and the new one. If someone is looking for one it could help them consider a lot of the things and even cause them to just repair their Splendide if they have one still. 

I thought I would be replacing the Splendide belt or the entire unit this past winter because the drum stopped turning last fall when we were in New Hampshire Workamping at Totem Pole Park. Once I removed the unit form its cubby hole, the belt was fine however I found a loose wire that had fallen off the control board. Problem solved.

While I had it out, I replaced the vent hose with a new section as the old one was coated with lint plus I cleaned the lint filter too.

I sure loved my Splendide. What a little workhorse. I take it yours is vented model? I am really surprised how serviceable mine was. Both the new one and the old one are excellent machines but the new one is much bigger and much more configurable. Full control over everything. But they are 22 years apart. The computer control of the new machine is a big bonus. Ah well, fun, fun, fun!

Back in 2004 when we installed a W/D I passed up on the Splendide because it took 120vac and converted it to 12 VDC to run everything.  I felt that that conversion added more things to go wrong.  The brand we purchased, everything ran on 120 vac.  We full timed for 6 years.  We never had any problems with ours.  I do not remember the brand name.

Bob,

What type of piping delivers the hot water to the toilet?  There have been issues with the Upinor PEX-A (expansion) with recirculation systems.