Roadmaster chassis wandering all over the road.

My 2002 diplomat with only 50K had a bad case of wandering. It would follow every rut in the road and even try to pull the wheel out of my hands.

After our first 100 mile trip I was worn out from constantly correcting the steering. 

Glenn's Tire and Service in Melbourne Florida was recommended to me by a OTR trucker I know. They have been in business since 1952.

They road tested and inspected my coach and suggested the cure.

They used Safe T Plus products namely Koni shocks and a steering control unit and a complete front end alignment.

I've got to say it drives like a car now what a difference. 

Glenn's is not the cheapest but they get it done right the first time and kept in touch with me the entire time.

https://www.glennstire.com/

• Like 1

Please read the history on wandering Monaco’s and save some money and time. Basically three main components for better road handling: 1) the Watts system, 2) TRW steering box and 3) Sway bars and Shocks(Road Master). There are many posts on this subject. A little costly, but better to be safe rather than sorry. Wish you the best. 

Edited by MrAmbassador

Congrats! Happy travels!

I too have. 2002 Diplomat, and have been dealing with steering issues. Glad yours was resolved rather easy. 

My coach, being on the short side, is proving a bit more complicated. The above recommended products will help should you experience any wandering in the future. 

You’ve landed at one of the most incredible group of people to help with anything to do with these amazing older coaches. 

Some of the Monaco coaches came with a Shepherd steering box that was intended for slow speed tractors and heavy equipment.  There is a large group of owners that are swapping the Shepherd for a TRW steering box.  The end result is amazingly better.  Hope this helps.  

Lots of reading in this Link:  Steering Box Play- Sheppard M100 SHIM or Swap for a TRW ? - iRV2 Forums

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, vito.a said:

Some of the Monaco coaches came with a Shepherd steering box that was intended for slow speed tractors and heavy equipment.  There is a large group of owners that are swapping the Shepherd for a TRW steering box.  The end result is amazingly better.  Hope this helps.  

Lots of reading in this Link:  Steering Box Play- Sheppard M100 SHIM or Swap for a TRW ? - iRV2 Forums

Did this, helped a bunch

4 hours ago, JDCrow said:

Did this, helped a bunch

Thanks for the info. I did not have play in the steering wheel, but the coach just wandered a bit too much for my liking. 

I did a lot of reading on this site and talked to my friend that drives a big rig for a living.

It is fixed now, Thanks

• 1 month later...

Brian,

Took it to a shop that works on Big trucks as well as Motorhomes. They did a complete inspection/road test including the trailing arm bushings which they said had been known to cause the wandering, all were good.

8 new Koni shocks, front end alignment and had a Safe-T-plus steering stabilizer installed.

Drives like a car now 

Cliff

Cannot get to Florida but would like some idea as to what the various cost have been, I realize different shops have different prices and would better decide where to start first and know when someone is reasonable. 

Thanks

Coach-- 2006 Camelot 54000 miles

11 minutes ago, martin said:

Cannot get to Florida but would like some idea as to what the various cost have been, I realize different shops have different prices and would better decide where to start first and know when someone is reasonable. 

Thanks

Coach-- 2006 Camelot 54000 miles

$1946.00  8 Koni shocks installed

$804.00 for Safe T Plus steering stabilizer $139.00 install

Prices vary a lot from place to place find a good shop that works on over the road big trucks.

The chassis of our motorhomes are about the same as a big truck so most truck shops are equipped to work on motorhomes as well.

You should be able to find one near to where you live.

If your ever in Vermont I would recommend, 

R.R. CHARLEBOIS, INC. | MILTON, VT | Freightliner Trucks

Cliff

• Like 1